Tips on becoming a good instructor

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ceicei and I were discussing this yesterday at length. We're both instructors of our own personal skills. She; ASL (american sign language), I - SRT (single rope technique or vertical caving). As instructors we know how important it is to keep the attention span of our respective students. Making the class fun is definitely a keeper. But we were more on the specifics of introductions from student to teacher.
When Ceicei found her current school she knew enough about kenpo to know what would constitute as a good teaching environment. Since she was primarily seeking a school for her sons she knew what were the right questions to ask.
When she inquired first about the lineage of the school a (familiar) name was dropped and that helped hold interest. Timing is of course everything. One of the (Jr.) instructors came in met her, then a few moments later the Sr. instructor came in and introductions were made and it was basically his personality and easy banter of the impromtu interview, to her that got the kids signed up....later she resumed her studies there as well.
It was observed that had there been a push (not encouragement) to sign up and no informal questionings (#of kids, job, other interests, etc.) then perhaps she would've looked else-where.
Point is that instructors who get to know their students, even just a little will fare much better (IMO) than those who just sign them up, take a check and start teaching. I do this with my (SRT) students and take advantage of the opportunity to get to know them better while we're driving to one of my favorite training spots, or during a break in the training. Granted I may end up teaching 2 to 3 dozen people a year, often times I am only teaching one or three at a time. Rarely do I end up having a large group, though that happens. Whereas by comparison a MA instructor may have a class anywhere from 5 to 15 people at one time. But taking the time is do-able.
Yes, respect to the instructor is important, attentiveness to the instuctor during class is important. But being able to drop formalities before/after class (even once in a while) helps the student bond better. Having them feel you as an acquaintance. It's a fine line but it can be blurred to a point where disicpline in the dojo isn't going out the window.
My fo bits. :asian:

Latest Discussions