Time off from TKD

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've been going through some changes recently, laid off from my job, trying to find a new job in a different field, being forced to move from my comfortable home, and butting heads with my EX over our child. The result is that I've had to stop training since last summer.

I've finally found a job, and I'm getting back on track. I've begun training again in my beloved TKD. I never really realized how strenuous the MAs are until this little sabbatical that I've taken. For the past few weeks I've been so sore. And about full contact sparring... I will not be ready for that for a while until I'm back in half way good shape.

Have any of you MT members been away from the DO for a while, and if so, how did you work you way back into the Art?

I'm just a lowly 1st dan BB, but if you don't stick with it you lose it, sparring, poomse, one step sparring techniques, ETC., ETC., and even just the simple things...

D'OH!!!:shrug:

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yes, I have.

I started in 1985, but because of various reasons (primarily for health reasons and being pregnant 4 times), I've started over and reached intermediate rank three times.

This time, I will be able to stay in through until I reach my black belt. I went through the ranks faster and now I'm back to the original point where I had last stopped. I'm making progress with learning new material.

Really, there is no escaping sore muscles and having to re-learn things after more than a few years absence.

You'll be able to get back into the groove faster than I would since it seems to have been at least a year absence for you.

Good luck with what you're going through. I hope things settle down for you.

- Ceicei

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
I feel like my body starts to atrophy if I take a couple weeks off. I can only imagine how it must feel for you Cali.

From what I've seen with people in my TKD class that take extended time off, it all comes back to you eventually, kind of like riding a bike. Just gotta pay attention to your body and make sure you don't push things too far too fast.

Good luck with everything (inside the dojang and out).

W

white dragon

I feel your pain, I haven't been able to train fully since the end of May and I really feel it, I'm trying to get back into it, but I think the hardest thing is how fast the body can loose its flexability. I've found just taking things slowly, concentrating on getting the correct stances and positions for everything is helping, rather than rushing through everything. Oh, and having a proper warm up and cool down after each session helps those muscles a bit too :)

Keep at it, as Zepp said, it'll come back to you!

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by cali_tkdbruin
I've been going through some changes recently, laid off from my job, trying to find a new job in a different field, being forced to move from my comfortable home, and butting heads with my EX over our child. The result is that I've had to stop training since last summer.

I've finally found a job, and I'm getting back on track. I've begun training again in my beloved TKD. I never really realized how strenuous the MAs are until this little sabbatical that I've taken. For the past few weeks I've been so sore. And about full contact sparring... I will not be ready for that for a while until I'm back in half way good shape.

Have any of you MT members been away from the DO for a while, and if so, how did you work you way back into the Art?

I'm just a lowly 1st dan BB, but if you don't stick with it you lose it, sparring, poomse, one step sparring techniques, ETC., ETC., and even just the simple things...

D'OH!!!:shrug:

Say it ain't so!:(

M

MartialArtsChic

Once I left my first school, I took about 3 years off to get the bad taste out of my mouth. I didn't want to carry that over. I purposely never practiced anything I learned. I wanted a fresh start. Once I started again, for a little while, I was sore, sore, sore but eventually got back in the groove. For now, the most I ever miss is a week for vacations or illness. But you know what, sometimes I still wake up sore the next day!

For you, I'm sure, it's just a matter of wiping the dust off and settling back in. I'm glad things are looking up and getting better. Eventually you're body will too!

MartialArtsChic

P.S. Nothing lowly about being a 1st Dan BB!

T

Thomas15

Hey,

I took about 5 weeks off due to an injury and then when I went back. I had to go slow for about another 5 weeks. After the 10 weeks were over, it then took me about 8 months to get back to where I left off.

Also, about being sore, if you think about it, even when you were working out 3 or more times/week, I'm sure there were days when you were sore from either doing something new or just having a very hard workout.

The fact that you are back and still working at it means that your recovery time will be short, probably already back to normal.

Tom

Latest Discussions