Time in vs. Rank

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
I use either/both as a reference point only. As an artist, the proof of quality is really going to be in a combination of how they move, how much of their system they have under their belt (bad pun) AND how well they can verbalize or explain/discuss on a conscious level the subtleties of their art.

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
How about not caring about either?

If someone tells me they've studied martial arts, I just say "oh, that's interesting." When they step onto the mat then I know what level of skill they have.

I've encountered 5th degree BBs and higher that had less skill and ability, years of training notwithstanding, than our junior students. I've encountered people with phenomenal natural talent that in a short time, and with low "rank," were able to defeat skilled people with much more time in training and much higher "rank."

What ever happened to just finding out what a person's skill level was? There's too much concern over clothing and abstract definitions of what "should be" instead of simply crossing arms and finding out for certain...

:idunno:

The proof of the pudding is in the eating. The value of a flower is not in its name nor its method of growing, but in the vibrance of its color and the sweetness of its smell.

Then again, it seems there are plenty of folks willing to stop at surface level and just see the patch-heavy NASCAR gi and the satin, extra-wide belt with tons of stripes and fancy stitched caligraphy... Whatever trips your trigger I guess...

:rolleyes: :idunno:

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think someones ability can not always be judged on there years/rank...I know the people at my Dojo that I look up to and they are the ones I ask for from.

These people are not always the highst ranked or most years experience....there are a couple of Blue Belts in class that are really talanted and always pass on information/communicate really well, so I find them more helpful than some of the BB.

Raewyn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with you there Sarah. the blue belts that help us at our Dojo, have.nt been there that long, but have been to a lot of classess and have shot up the ranks quite quickly and are very very talented.