TIG, testing and contributions to the art.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Perhaps in a perfect world. I teach at one Park District location where you can literaly throw a stone and hit 2 storefront retail TKD schools. (One was further away and relocated closer when he split from his instructor, and the other opened later.) Within a mile from there is one more TKD school and 2 or three other schools.

Within a one or two mile radius, a five minute drive in any direction here, there are five commerical taekwondo dojang, plus one in a rec center as well as another in a korean church and another in a ymca. In addition, there are three commercial bjj/mma schools, the headquarters school of the largest karate organization here, plus any number of other clubs being run out of church social halls, rec centers, japanese schools, boy's club, etc. And in the middle of that, one of my students wants to open his own commerical school. Apparently, he hasn't yet quite learned that "where there is a will there is a way" is a false statement. But then again, he is a multi time national champion/national team member, so he tends to keep going, no matter how many people try to throw a wet blanket on his fire.

"where there's a will, there's a way." Whether or not you believe that, will determine the quality and direction of your life.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Longboat Key over looking Sarasota Bay, at least u
Agwison Khaljaebi (arc hand strike), and Mureupkukki (knee break) are also new in Koryo.

The block done in the crane stance (Hakdari Seogi) is actually a diamond low block (Keumgang Area Makki). The mountain block (santeulmakki) is done with the fists aligned with the temples, upper arms parallel to the floor and elbows bent 90 degrees. Keumgang Area Makki is a high block/low block done at the same time. In Palgwe Sa Jang, the related diamond middle block (Keumgang Momtong Makki) is taught. Keumgang also introduces the large hinge block (Kheun Dolzteogi), if you didn't learn it in Palgwe Pal Jang. The palm heel jaw strike (batangson Teokchigi) could also be considered a new strike, although I see it as more a variant, since the swallow form chin strike (Jebi Poom Teok Chigi) is taught in Palgwe Yook Jang.

Each level of Poomsae introduces new dong-jak (movement) combinations, new "sae" or dynamic shape, and new "poom" static shape. After Taegeuk, each Dan Poomsae also introduces new technical study "fields." These fields of study should be the first thing one notices when actually opening up a gate (Poomsae in this case), and the first thing they should begin to study.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Each level of Poomsae introduces new dong-jak (movement) combinations, new "sae" or dynamic shape, and new "poom" static shape. After Taegeuk, each Dan Poomsae also introduces new technical study "fields." These fields of study should be the first thing one notices when actually opening up a gate (Poomsae in this case), and the first thing they should begin to study.

Understood, and agreed. But the question was specifically what new techniques were introduced. Hence, the answer I gave.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
And if you were a lawyer then you would know that you need rebuttal evidence to rebut a statement, not just pure argument. But more to the point, if you don't believe in the concept of "where there is a will there is a way", then frankly, that is your issue, not mine. Coming from someone who claims to practice the martial arts, I find that sort of attitude disappointing. Martial arts instructors should aspire to inspire, not be a wet blanket, to use a figure of speech.

You made the statement that it is possible to ski through a revolving door. I asked for evidence to support that claim. You posted two links, neither of which does anything at all to prove your statement.

Staying grounded in reality is not being a "wet blanket". There are plenty of things which are, despite your assertion, impossible for humans. Flying without mechanical assistance, for example. I believe skiing through a revolving door is another. Please feel free to prove me wrong. It would certainly be awesome if either WERE possible.

Edit: I don't really expect you to be able to find any backing for skiing through a revolving door. It's more a kneejerk reaction to trite, quaint but wildly inaccurate sayings such as "where there's a will there's a way".

Last edited:

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Longboat Key over looking Sarasota Bay, at least u
You made the statement that it is possible to ski through a revolving door. I asked for evidence to support that claim. You posted two links, neither of which does anything at all to prove your statement.

Staying grounded in reality is not being a "wet blanket". There are plenty of things which are, despite your assertion, impossible for humans. Flying without mechanical assistance, for example. I believe skiing through a revolving door is another. Please feel free to prove me wrong. It would certainly be awesome if either WERE possible.

Edit: I don't really expect you to be able to find any backing for skiing through a revolving door. It's more a kneejerk reaction to trite, quaint but wildly inaccurate sayings such as "where there's a will there's a way".

No, as of recently we can fly without mechanical assistance. It's a changing world. Checkout Jeff Corliss, he figured it out and gives an stunning demonstration of it. Jeff had the will, and found a way for something we all thought impossible for a very long time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No, as of recently we can fly without mechanical assistance. It's a changing world. Checkout Jeff Corliss, he figured it out and gives an stunning demonstration of it. Jeff had the will, and found a way for something we all thought impossible for a very long time.

That's not flying. That's falling with style! :p

But man was it cool!!!!

I guess 'without mechanical assistance' is relative, as he definintely has some kind of flying squirrel wings like they used in Transformers 3. Don't know if those count as mechanical or not.

Like I say, I'd call that diving rather than flying, but it was really awesome!!

Thanks for posting it!

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score

As impressive as that is (and I've seen it before and still sat through it again so I agree it's impressive), I would label that "falling gracefully" rather than flying. It's no more flying than parachuting is, which has been around since the 1400s.

I would say for him to truly achieve flight, he would have to generate self-propelled lift in the way that a bird, bat, aeroplane or helicopter can leave the ground under their own force/power.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score

How about opening a dojang in a market that has two commerical dojang and one in a rec center? Do you think that is possible, that in that situation? Does the phrase "where there is a will, there is a way" fit under those circumstances?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

As cool as that is, it's not flying. Skydiving, with varying amounts of control, is not a new thing. The wingsuit is an evolutionary change, not revolutionary.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
How about opening a dojang in a market that has two commerical dojang and one in a rec center? Do you think that is possible, that in that situation? Does the phrase "where there is a will, there is a way" fit under those circumstances?

Maybe. Maybe not. Depends on the size and saturation of the market, amoung other factors. I'll accept "where there's a will, there's a maybe" if you like. :)

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
As impressive as that is (and I've seen it before and still sat through it again so I agree it's impressive), I would label that "falling gracefully" rather than flying. It's no more flying than parachuting is, which has been around since the 1400s.

I disagree. I think that guy is flying. Check out the dictionary definition of flying. Parachuting, which I have done, is also flying. A bird sits on a branch, jumps off, and lands on the ground. Are you saying the bird wasn't flying?

I would say for him to truly achieve flight, he would have to generate self-propelled lift in the way that a bird, bat, aeroplane or helicopter can leave the ground under their own force/power.

How about "flying side kick"?

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I disagree. I think that guy is flying. Check out the dictionary definition of flying.
Sorry, but it doesn't support you. http://www.thefreedictionary.com/fly. Moving through the air by means of wings or wing like parts is not the same as skydiving or parachuting, where you are moving through the air by means of gravity; the parachute or squirrel suit only serves to make directional changes, but is not capable of providing sustained lift necessary for flight.

Parachuting, which I have done, is also flying.
Parachuting is controlled decent (falling), not flying.

A bird sits on a branch, jumps off, and lands on the ground. Are you saying the bird wasn't flying?
I'd say the bird was landing and using its wings for controlled descent.

Flying is being used as an adjective. The kicker is jumping and performing a kick in the air. Getting airborne is not really the same thing as flying.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
I disagree. I think that guy is flying. Check out the dictionary definition of flying. Parachuting, which I have done, is also flying. A bird sits on a branch, jumps off, and lands on the ground. Are you saying the bird wasn't flying?

Until the bird generates lift, I would say that the bird is gliding. For them to fly they have to generate lift, which birds can do but haven't in this circumstance.

As another example - fish can fly, but flying squirrels "are not capable of powered flight like birds or bats; instead, they glide between trees". The wikipedia article even says they can generate lift during a flight, but that's more of a riding of currents during an existing glide rather than specific lift generation.

Unfortunately there are lots of different definitions of flight/flying, for example "the brick flies through after being thrown by a yob". No one would really consider that bricks (or even that brick) are then capable of flight, merely propulsion through the air when an external force is applied.

Again, I would not consider it flight. I would consider it a jumping kick. I am happy with the label flying side kick, as above, a paper aeroplane or a brick can be described as flying but not as "having achieved flight". If someone said to you "there's a new scientific discovery this year, people can fly and I can demonstrate it...watch..." and then did a flying side kick would you be incredulous/amazed that they are correct people can now fly, or dismiss at as "that's a flying side kick, you aren't really flying".

OP
Kong Soo Do

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Getting back to the topic of TIG, testing and contributions to the art. :ultracool

Looking at contributions to the art for a moment, an instructor donating his/her time to something like an orphanage, community center in a poor area of town etc would also be a fine example. It promotes the art being taught while giving back to the community and perhaps making a difference in a young persons life all at the same time.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
are we seriously arguing about weather or not someone is flying?
Hard to believe, but yes. That, and whether or not one can ski through a revolving door.

Ultimately, whether or not having the will to find the way is enough to open up a taekwondo school in a seemingly saturated market.

THREAD DRIFT
Most definitely.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Again, I would not consider it flight. I would consider it a jumping kick. I am happy with the label flying side kick, as above, a paper aeroplane or a brick can be described as flying but not as "having achieved flight". If someone said to you "there's a new scientific discovery this year, people can fly and I can demonstrate it...watch..." and then did a flying side kick would you be incredulous/amazed that they are correct people can now fly, or dismiss at as "that's a flying side kick, you aren't really flying".

that's different than what you said before, which was this:

Flying side kick does fit that definition. No one said how long or how high you have to go before it's "flying".

But over and above that, I would say that the "this is my narrow definition and anything that doesn't fit inside it is a no go" type of approach is ok, in the beginning parts of the journey, but not when you get farther down the road. In that sort of territory, uncharted and on your own, the approach of the pioneers has been "where there is a will, there is a way", and they found ways to make it happen, as opposed to listening to all the people who told them that they could not. That is why I used that particular phrase, because it so fits the attitude and perspective of the pioneers. they took ten kicks and ten strikes and turned that into the most popular martial art in the world and an Olympic sport to boot. How many people do you think were against them back then? How many are still against them?

To take a more current situation, there are so many people out there that say USAT is done, that the debt load is insurmountable, that our pipeline is busted, people have been burned, are not coming back and are telling others not to come back, that it won't and can't fly, and so on and so forth. Does that mean we shouldn't try to figure out a way to make it fly?

This was, like so many things I put out there, a test. But unlike most tests we are familiar with, we grade ourselves. That's why I answered the way I did, leaving enough holes in my posts so that if someone were so inclined, they could go for those holes. But the secret is not in finding the holes, but figuring out a way to make it happen, in spite of the holes. Make it happen. There are enough people saying it can't be done. Do you really wish to be associated with them?

I always do everything for a reason.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
See grasshopper, the mighty Getafix has spoken.