Thoughts On This Clip

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
On another forum, this clip was posted. The OP was asking if it was in fact Kuntao due to the fact that a) it didn't look like anything he'd seen before and b) because it looked very 'Karate like' in application. In other words, there didn't seem to be as much fluidity, like you'd normally see in the FMAs.

So...what do you think? Please keep in mind, that the intention of posting this is not to bash the clip. The intention is to get feedback from the members here. :)

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's Japanese Karate, at least for the first part of the exchanges. But, kuntao is a broadly used term.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well MJS I know nothing about Kuntao but it looked alot like Karate and there movements.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I too, felt that the moves in that first clip were very Karate-ish. I really didn't see anything that had the flow to it, like you see in so many other FMAs.

Here is another clip. Watch the two. See a difference?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First one definitely karate. It's how we do what TKD/TSD know as 'one step sparring.
The second was good, my instructor has taught us quite a few of those moves for self defence, chuffed to recognise them though I couldn't have said what style they were before seeing clip.

hapkenkido

Blue Belt
Reaction score
i do not see any flow of FMA it look more like what i have done in my traditional hapkido. please correct me if i am wrong but did't alot of FMA have some other arts mixed in.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If I am correct the first clip is from Maharlika Kuntaw that is practiced by Carlito Lanada. From my sources back in the day Carlito's movement was fluid and very filipinoish but it changed at a point and became more like Karate. One of our members here Kuntawguro was a student under Carlito Lanada way back in the day in the Phillipines. When it changed Buzz did not change completely and has the FMA movement with his system of American Maharlika Kuntaw. Still on that forum they were questioning some of the videos Buzz had up but unfortunately they did not know the background that those particular videos were shot for a movie called folklore and they wanted the actors (yes some actors) kicking.
icon6.gif

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score