Thoughts on past Threads

OP
T

TKDTony2179

Blue Belt
Reaction score
"Understanding" patterns. TKD Tony and others. What do you think about what this person said;

" Patterns are various fundamental movements....a pattern can be compared with a unit tactic or word if fundamental movement is an individual...'s training or alphabet."

Using the above metaphor, each motion is a single letter. Letters may have some meaning by themselves, but different meanings emerge depending on how they are arranged and connected with other letters.

First you learn to recognize letters, then you learn to recognize certain arrangements as words. Finaly, based on what you have learned you can try to figure out arrangemets you haven't seen before and learn how to use them.

Useful metaphor?

Yes, Useful. I sometimes say to students that once you learn a punch, kick, block, or stance then never forget what you learn. You may never use it all the time but sometimes you will. I ask them do they ever forget how to count or abc's and they are like no. Well I say in order to count, add, subtract, or write a word, sentence, or even a paragraph you must know the basic and the intermidate levels and then the advance in order to do those things. Same as our forms. I don't look at one tul and say that it is a self-defense in itself but take a lil from here and a lil from there and before you know it you have different movements that work.

Ex. Someone grabs your opposite wrist and you do a hooking block, front kick, step into a front stance in a angle and perform a pressing block which causes a armbar. Yul Gulk and joon gun.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
. Dan Gun has three high blocks and I know I am not going to ever use three high blocks in row.

Po Eun. Well, Earl we have talked about this in another thread but here is some more of confusing parts of that form. Low block/back fist in sitting stances( won't be blocking a kick and punching someone behinde me), Double rigid hand low blocks(for a kick or a what?), and I believe you covered the other two in that other thread for me.

Yes, Simple isn't always simple.

Dan Gun, 3 "High Blocks " = Rising outer forearm blocks in a row. Probably never use them. Probably never use Toi Gye 6 W shape Blocks in a row, probably never pull the opposite handd to the hip when doing......

Po Eun "Low block/back fist in sitting stances( won't be blocking a kick and punching someone behinde me), " You might be interseted to know it is specified as A "Side Back Strike with the Backfist while extending opposite hand to side downward. So, the lower hand is not specified as a block.
"Double rigid hand low blocks(for a kick or a what?), " I am guessing this is the low Guarding block with reverse knifehand? If so, it simply uses a different tool that the guarding block with the knifehand. At the most basic level using a different tool may be needed if the tool usualy chosen first is injured. Other , no traditional reasons such as facilitating a grab in certain instances may apply. For some open hand versus closed hand techniques this facilitation of a grab is explicitly stated.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Earl Weiss "Understanding" patterns. TKD Tony and others. What do you think about what this person said;

" Patterns are various fundamental movements....a pattern can be compared with a unit tactic or word if fundamental movement is an individual...'s training or alphabet."

Useful metaphor?

Yes, Useful. .................................................. I don't look at one tul and say that it is a self-defense in itself but take a lil from here and a lil from there and before you know it you have different movements that work.

Well, since the quote is from General Choi, direct from the text, it seems you and he agree on the purpose of pattern moves.

Latest Discussions