Things that make you go HMMMM? Pt.2

P

ProfessorKenpo

I hear this all the time and have been guilty of using the phrase myself years ago. What is Black Belt behavior? I 'm sure all of you have heard this phrase at one time or another in your training and was kinda curious as to what everyone else's opinion of Black Belt behavior is. Is it honesty, integrity, physical skill, mental prowess, I'd love to know?

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Clyde,

You forgot Respect. ;)

Soryy I could not resist. :asian:

OP
K

Kirk

- The willingness to share knowledge.

- The ability to demonstrate without ever hurting a student, be it mentally or physically.

- Leading by example. By this I mean if you're a teacher, you shouldn't act in a way that you wouldn't want your students to act. I guess this would be more "instructor behavior". And this is something that wouldn't be an across the board thing, since appropriate behavior is a matter of opinion.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
1- Setting the example for the junior students in the school.

2- Having a good understanding of things, and being able to help the juniors.

3- Not having an ego. Its one thing to be confident, but walking around thinking you are the best isnt right.

4- Being humble. Don't walk around thinking you're the best, cuz there is always someone better than you.

5- Giving back to the arts. After all, after you reach a certain rank, usually the way you get advanced is by the amount of time you put in and what you have given back to the arts.

Mike

OP
P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by Kirk
- The willingness to share knowledge.

- The ability to demonstrate without ever hurting a student, be it mentally or physically.

- Leading by example. By this I mean if you're a teacher, you shouldn't act in a way that you wouldn't want your students to act. I guess this would be more "instructor behavior". And this is something that wouldn't be an across the board thing, since appropriate behavior is a matter of opinion.

Instructor behavior, would that be different than Black Belt behavior?

To the rest that posted, I kinda wanted you to tell me in your own words, not say that I'd forgotten one, that's why the inquistition (but nobody expects the Spanish Inquistion-See Monty Python's Holy Grail). I was looking for indidvidual answers that would somehow mesh into commonality because everyone has their own ideas about this. By the way, no one mentioned Loyalty, why is that?

I've been told I'm not acting as a Black Belt from time to time and I'm looking for a way to generalize the traits by asking people for their own opinion so I may pass this on to students.
Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by ProfessorKenpo
Instructor behavior, would that be different than Black Belt behavior?

I guess one wouldn't have to instructor at b.b.

OP
J

jeffkyle

(but nobody expects the Spanish Inquistion-See Monty Python's Holy Grail).
Clyde

HAHAHAHA!!! LOL! :rofl:

OP
J

jeffkyle

Originally posted by Kirk
And this is something that wouldn't be an across the board thing, since appropriate behavior is a matter of opinion.

Very very true Kirk! And as Patrick Swayze stated in the movie Road House..."Opinions Vary".
:D

OP
J

jeffkyle

By the way, no one mentioned Loyalty, why is that?

Clyde

I definitely believe in Loyalty...from both sides, giving and receiving.
But how far should the loyalty go? If it is only one sided, how long should it continue before the other side has had enough?

OP
P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by jeffkyle
I definitely believe in Loyalty...from both sides, giving and receiving.
But how far should the loyalty go? If it is only one sided, how long should it continue before the other side has had enough?

Now the discussion really begins, thank you Jeff.

Wink, Wink, Nudge, Nudge, know what I mean. Sorry, had to put that in there if you're a Monty Python fan LOL.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

OP
T

tonbo

I think that Black Belt behavior is, in a nutshell, setting a good example for others. It includes all the elements mentioned before, as far as things like modesty, courtesy, "warrior spirit", etc., but I think it also includes just being a good person/decent human being as a major component.

No one likes an arrogant, rude or otherwise nasty Black Belt. Sure, they are fun to ego trounce, but not fun if they are giving other martial artists a bad name.

As far as the loyalty issue, well.....that's gonna depend. What's your breaking point? I also believe in loyalty being two-sided. If it somehow goes from being two-sided to being one-sided, the person doing all the giving needs to decide when it's time to move on.

Oh, and Clyde? "Ask me the questions, Bridgekeeper....I'm not afraid!!" and who could forget.....

"The Black Knight always triumphs!!"

Peace--

OP
P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by tonbo
I think that Black Belt behavior is, in a nutshell, setting a good example for others. It includes all the elements mentioned before, as far as things like modesty, courtesy, "warrior spirit", etc., but I think it also includes just being a good person/decent human being as a major component.

No one likes an arrogant, rude or otherwise nasty Black Belt. Sure, they are fun to ego trounce, but not fun if they are giving other martial artists a bad name.

As far as the loyalty issue, well.....that's gonna depend. What's your breaking point? I also believe in loyalty being two-sided. If it somehow goes from being two-sided to being one-sided, the person doing all the giving needs to decide when it's time to move on.

Oh, and Clyde? "Ask me the questions, Bridgekeeper....I'm not afraid!!" and who could forget.....

"The Black Knight always triumphs!!"

Peace--

I've seen some absolute terrible behavior at tournaments from judges, participants, and spectators/coaches when the rules clearly state what they were doing is prohibited. Is what they were doing bad BB behavior by breaking the rules or good because they were supporting their students?

Loyalty, it's always gotta be a two way thing, I wouldn't have it any other way.

In the immortal words of KenpoJoe,"The truth, no matter who it hurts, is still the truth". Good words I think. Honesty is, and should be, an integral part of a student/instructor relationship. I've always told the truth and it's forever getting me admonished for not putting in in a more polite or respectful way. Is that a bad thing, not to me, but it sure pisses alot of other people off. Oh well!

BTW, it's only a flesh wound LOL. I forgot the question, something about Swallow and which was the fastest.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

OP
J

jeffkyle

Now the discussion really begins, thank you Jeff.

Wink, Wink, Nudge, Nudge, know what I mean.

I was following you on that one....I wonder where it will take us.

Sorry, had to put that in there if you're a Monty Python fan LOL.

Actually I haven't seen it, YET, but ALL the guys I work with are Big Fans and I constantly hear quotes from the movie. :D

OP
J

jeffkyle

I've seen some absolute terrible behavior at tournaments from judges, participants, and spectators/coaches when the rules clearly state what they were doing is prohibited. Is what they were doing bad BB behavior by breaking the rules or good because they were supporting their students?

Loyalty, it's always gotta be a two way thing, I wouldn't have it any other way.

In the immortal words of KenpoJoe,"The truth, no matter who it hurts, is still the truth". Good words I think. Honesty is, and should be, an integral part of a student/instructor relationship. I've always told the truth and it's forever getting me admonished for not putting in in a more polite or respectful way. Is that a bad thing, not to me, but it sure pisses alot of other people off. Oh well!

BTW, it's only a flesh wound LOL. I forgot the question, something about Swallow and which was the fastest.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

Honesty is a GREAT thing in ANY relationship between people. Yes sometimes it can be harsh, but at least people know where they stand, and how things are.
When you are in a position of teaching and dealing with people, I don't believe that you can pick favorites and put the rest aside. Just because someone makes YOU feel good about being their teacher doesn't mean you should like them more than you do the guy in the back who works his butt off to become a better fighter, martial artist, person.
Your loyalty has to be the same to each and every student...you should give as much of yourself as you can to every one of them. IF they choose NOT to receive it, then it is their problem.

OP
R

RCastillo

I hear this all the time and have been guilty of using the phrase myself years ago. What is Black Belt behavior? I 'm sure all of you have heard this phrase at one time or another in your training and was kinda curious as to what everyone else's opinion of Black Belt behavior is. Is it honesty, integrity, physical skill, mental prowess, I'd love to know?

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

I agree with all of the above!:asian:

OP
P

ProfessorKenpo

It also amazes me how many posts get on the General Forum and how few people utilize the Technical Forum. I post here primarily for entertainment but the other forum is for thought and learning. I'm always looking for new methods or theories but so few people post there it's seems there's no point. Oh well, off to train now.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

OP
T

tonbo

Well, it's bad BB behavior, plain and simple. "Good" BB behavior is to follow the rules because they are the *rules*. Whether you are supporting your students or not, you should be showing them that, if you are at a tournament, you adhere to the rules; if for nothing else, out of simple respect.

But then again, that's me. Everyone knows that judges are blind and deaf, and are never fair. But that's the way it goes. If you behave badly, it will almost never change the outcome, but it will almost always change the way people look at you.....and your school.

There is a saying I heard once, which someone said was Italian: "A true friend is one who will tell you that your face is dirty". Yeah, the truth can hurt, sometimes. However, if the truth is not being told in a malicious way, it may hurt someone's feelings, but it might also help save them additional pain later on. You can't always sugar-coat everything. If you are blunt, well, that's the way you are. As Dennis Leary said, "Life's tough--get a helmet". :)

The questions from the Bridgekeeper:

1) What is your name?
2) What is your quest?
3) What is your favorite color?
(also What is the capitol of Assyria? and What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?)

Right, then. Off you go. And watch out for any bunnies with great big sharp pointy teeth!

Peace--

OP
J

Jayson Barley

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

Bad behavior is bad behavior, it doesn't matter why you are doing it. If you don't like the rules then don't participate.

Regarding truth there are ways of stating the truth without hurting someone. There is a difference beteween:

"That technique sucks"
and
"You should work on this technique more"

Latest Discussions