There's no such thing as coincidence...

lulflo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I want to start a thread for stories that have happened to you that are pretty special. It could be related to martial arts or teachers or people, even influences. An example from my life.

I had been working at Pizza Hut for a while and am normally pretty rambunctious. I liked playing hackey sack on my break and messing around with kicks from t.v., etc. So my friend thought he would invite me to train with his martial arts teacher in the park after work. He would train at midnight in a park, that was cool and it fit in my schedule too. After a little convincing, he got me to go with him. I went and found it to be very awesome and intense and I liked it, but I was a smoker at the time and didn't want to commit to something that intense just yet. So after a dozen or so classes, I dropped out, quit my job and went to find myself elsewhere. I got other jobs, found a career and met my wife, quit smoking and we had some kids and then when we decided we would be moving to Casa Grande, I told her that I wanted MA back in my life. We were moving soon and I really wanted to find my same teacher, but never did get his # or address - we trained in a park! So I was looking for my friend who worked with me at Pizza Hut and couldn't find him. After several months of searching, I was going to give up and join the school that was my second choice at the time. I was driving east and turning south about one mile from the school to sign up and I could swear that my friend from Pizza Hut was in front of me. I decided to follow, why not?, he turned into the street just before the school, I followed, he went about 1/4 mile down the street and pulled into the driveway, I drove past a little and stopped. He got out of the car and sure enough it was him!!!

I got my teacher's phone #, called him and set up a time to come over and started training two weeks later. I don't believe in coincidences, and what I didn't know is that my teacher was not teaching for a while and was just about to set up some classes again and when I called him, it worked out perfectly.

If you have any stories, and I'm sure we all do, please share.

Farang - Larry

OP
lulflo

lulflo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So how about this one for coincidence?

I am training now after reuniting with my teacher and he decides to move about 200 miles away and open a dojang. So now I live in Casa Grande in the middle of nowhere and can see my teacher once a month. Well of course I make the trek up the mountain to see him as often as I can and help support his new students and the new school, but I am not getting to train with my teacher nearly as much or as in depth. What can I do? I find out that my teacher's original teacher is going to be up on the mountain for a weekend with his wife and kids and I would be staying there as well to meet and greet and mingle, etc. Come to find out, my teacher's teacher has just moved to Casa Grande - 3 miles away from me. He has been out of the art for some 20 years or so, but has still been training on his own and is AWESOME! I get to know him a little bit and he invites me to his house to start training. So how good is that, my teacher is still so jealous that I get to train every week with his original teacher AND I get to go up to see my teacher once a month still and hang out with my new fellow students. Coincidence - I think not, it has happened the way it is supposed to happen IMO.

I'd still love to hear some stories from others, I know it takes a bit to write them, but hey, it's why we are all here after all.

Farang - Larry

Latest Discussions