There is no First Strike in Karate – the Training’

Victor Smith

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I’ve just posted an article on my blog called ‘There is no First Strike in Karate – the Training’.

It is an examination of technique studies from Mutsu Mizuho’s 1933 “Karate Kenpo”. I consider them a practical example of the training behind ‘Karate Ni Sente Nashi’, ‘There is No First Strike in Karate’. Perhaps you will find it of interest. The article can be found at
http://isshin-concentration.blogspot.com/2011/07/there-is-no-first-strike-in-karate.html

poph0ly

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey Victor ;
I think you mean "tai sabaki".
Is it right?

OP
V

Victor Smith

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hi, I'm not sure whether tai sabaki is correct for Okinawa, but as you mean it, yes the body shifting Mutsu described is covered by the use of tai sabaki.

OP
V

Victor Smith

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Interesting discussions. Mutsu's use of the preemptive strike involves shifting and striking after the attacker strikes. I wish I had Mutsu's original text in English for I understand his use was even more dynamic than I could ascertain from his drawings, which are obviously influenced by my Isshinryu background. But I still consider my analysis valid.

The attacker strikes, you make sure it doesn't connect and strike them being the first one to hit, they missed you didn't, unless you choose to do otherwise.

Latest Discussions