Theory Of Striking

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
It seems to me that for all the focus on spinning and jumpng and twisting that most kicks in Taekwondo are actually pretty linear. It seems like it you look at the actual path that the weapon travels, it seems to go directly toward the target with a slight arc or curve that allows the other various body parts to give the weapon greater speed and more efficiency. Most of the spinning doesn't change the path of the weapon much, just gives it more power (try to think of the path your foot travels doing a front side sidekick, a back side sidekick, and a spinning side kick; the path is pretty much the same, what changes is how body momentum contributes energy, and therefore speed and power, to the kick)

It seems to me that if I think of the mechanics of a kick ("foot drive up, twist hips, bring thigh in, swing foot around, etc..") that I slow down, but if I just think "weapon into target", then I'm much quicker and more powerful.

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Fearless,

Reading your final statement is perfect explanation as to why we do line drills, heavy bag work, and other fundamental excersices. Furthermore, it is why these should be done slowly with technique in mind. This builds muscle memory and will allow for a technically sound kick without having to think about it. It will become reflexive!

TAEKWON!
Spookey

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with Spookey on doing slow kicks and perfecting technique before getting faster. Also doing slow kicks and holding kicks with repetition builds muscle to be able to technically do them better. BTW the mechanics of a back foot side kick is not the same as a spin side kick. But once you analyze the differences, they all become alot easier after practicing them correctly. TW

T

Teh Tot

my instructors would agree with you TW. but in addition we build muscle in our legs and improve tecnique by leaning against a wall and pushing against someone else who is holding a kicking bag.

OP
F

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree with Spookey on doing slow kicks and perfecting technique before getting faster. Also doing slow kicks and holding kicks with repetition builds muscle to be able to technically do them better

Mostly I was thinking of my state of mind when executing it for 'speed' in a sparring situation, etc.. I think at that point the muscle memory from doing the kick 'right' a few hundered times kicks in I think and helps move the weapon to the target efficiently

BTW the mechanics of a back foot side kick is not the same as a spin side kick. But once you analyze the differences

The body mechanics are different, but it seems to me that the actual trajectory of your foot is remarkable similar, especially in the vertical plane. If you look from the side, I think in both kicks, the foot comes up and comes into the body before shooting forward. It's a slight arc, but I think the arc is pretty much the same shape whether you do it with your front foot, your rear-foot, or your rear foot with a spin. Even in the horizontal plane (seen from above), it's a pretty 'straight motion' once the foot clears around behind the back side of the other leg.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
FearlessFreep said:
Mostly I was thinking of my state of mind when executing it for 'speed' in a sparring situation, etc.. I think at that point the muscle memory from doing the kick 'right' a few hundered times kicks in I think and helps move the weapon to the target efficiently

Mind and body do have to work together--much better after practice.
My point was the kick is better with muscle training-getting those opposing muscles stronger. Practicing slow and holding the kick does that.

The body mechanics are different, but it seems to me that the actual trajectory of your foot is remarkable similar, especially in the vertical plane.

In other words, a sidekick is still a sidekick straight and to the point. ;) TW

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Word well spoken TW a side kick is a side kick and it is better if it lands:partyon:

Flamebearer

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think when you compare TKD with other arts - say aikido or kung fu - you find that it is very linear. To me it makes sense, since the shortest distance between two points (say your foot and your opponent's ribs) is a straight line. So yes, the mentality Fearless was talking about is good, but you have to get the technique internalized first.

-Flamebearer

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
The delivery of the strike or kick is primarily linear, but TKD also has a wonderful variety of footwork which also gets the body into proper range to deliver said strike. The footwork is not always linear, nor offensively based-lots of angular footwork to avoid an attack...

Miles

Latest Discussions