The worth of an education

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes, having a college education is most definitely an asset. I just have an undergraduate degree (B.A.) and until recently I was working in a field (IT/MIS) which was not my major in college. I thought I was making some fairly good scratch.

Unfortunately, with this suck *** economy I was recently laid off. Now I've been added to our country's unemployment statistics. :angry:

K

khadaji

From my experience, most of education is useless in the modern world. I am not saying that it is bad, but having it is not much of a help when advancing in pay, or rising in rank. A wise one could make use of it, but its not needed. I have found its more useful to have the DEGREE then the actual knowledge behind it. Basicly being certified in some form or another is all you need. You may thing knowing, and getting certification is interconnected, but realy they are not.

I am not knocking education, I value it above all other things. Just twisted sarcasic humour coming to mind...

K

Kirk

Originally posted by khadaji
From my experience, most of education is useless in the modern world. I am not saying that it is bad, but having it is not much of a help when advancing in pay, or rising in rank. A wise one could make use of it, but its not needed. I have found its more useful to have the DEGREE then the actual knowledge behind it. Basicly being certified in some form or another is all you need. You may thing knowing, and getting certification is interconnected, but realy they are not.

I am not knocking education, I value it above all other things. Just twisted sarcasic humour coming to mind...

In my experience the degree or certifications are what you need
to GET the job. But knowledge and hard work get you anything
else once you're there. If you can manage to get experience
without a degree, then you're just as welcome in the job market.

P

Posiview

Education is great but understanding is better.

Andy Sheader

J

Jill666

I have a technical certificate in Practical Nursing (time 10 months, cost 2k). I've been in healthcare for 14 years now, and got more certificates in everything I could.

Although I don't have a bachelor's and am not an RN, I have a boatload of experience (psych, emergency, detox, IV therapy, peritonial dialysis, respirators, trachs, G-tubes, TPN, etc). It has been a long time since I needed to attend a "second interview".

However, I got started in 1989. I truly believe the marketplace has become a lot more diploma-oriented. Also, in the tech industry, I think the dot-com shake-up has resulted in a backlash against the hotshot young programmers with no business degree. (My hubby having been one, who is now in sales, running a Radio Shack).

If you have the money, get all the paper you can. Does it mean anything? I don't know, but it won't hurt. The world is uncertain and will become more treacherous before it gets better.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jill666

If you have the money, get all the paper you can. Does it mean anything? I don't know, but it won't hurt. The world is uncertain and will become more treacherous before it gets better.

That's the last thing I wanted to hear right about now... :wah:

Latest Discussions