The use of the Tomahawk?

kachi

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have been interested in this weapon for a few years now but have not been able to find to much martial arts related info on it. I was wondering if anyone has done some training with the Tomahawk or knows a fair bit about it and if so could you please talk about it's techniques, styles it's used in, practacality, points of attack, etc... Thanks

PS - i'm not that interested in the throwing aspects of it.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is some good research on tomahawk use in the western arts circles. Dwight Mclemore has a well research book on Tomahawk use with great illustrations. James A. Keating has some material on it as well I believe. Tulisan Company has a modern tomahawk program also that is only taught through private instruction at the moment.

These are all good sources to seek out if you are interested. I know there is some more, but these are the best ones I can come up with from the top of my head.

Paul Janulis

OP
kachi

kachi

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Paul i'll be sure to check those out. I've heard alot of good things about Dwight Mclemore's book but haven't been able to get my hands on it, seeing as i live in Australia. Does anyone know of any good sites with strong accurate research or i'd like to know if there's any theses on the internet abouth the tomahawk. Thanks

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You might look at this post on FMATalk.com, which includes a link to an interesting ABC News article on the current use of the tomahawk by some members of the U.S. military, and a link to Dwight McLemore's book. Incidentally, I believe that Dwight McLemore is a member here.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Cold Steel has a training DVD called "The Fighting Tomahawk" which Mr. Mclemore recommended on a different forum.

Lamont

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Blindside said:
Cold Steel has a training DVD called "The Fighting Tomahawk" which Mr. Mclemore recommended on a different forum.

Lamont

In that case, I might actually shell out the $150 bucks for it.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
arnisador said:
You might look at this post on FMATalk.com, which includes a link to an interesting ABC News article on the current use of the tomahawk by some members of the U.S. military, and a link to Dwight McLemore's book. Incidentally, I believe that Dwight McLemore is a member here.

Great article! I just had a chance to read it. I had developed a Modern Tomahawk program for the 425th Infantry because of inceased use of the item. It really was used as a moral and identity builder, tracing back to the "Ranger Hawk" used by army rangers (Hawk with spike on back). We never really used my tomahawk program, however, because the guys I was working with were traveling so light that the tomahawk was not being carried, as it would have gotten in the way. So we ended up focusing on the knife program instead.

Anyways, interesting read...

Paul

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had forgotten all about that little article. It's pretty good as a starting point.

Latest Discussions