The Straight Left and How to cultivate it by "Peerless" Jim Driscoll

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am pleased to announce that I have republished Jim Driscoll's "The Straight Left and How to cultivate it"

As always, the PDF download is free of charge.

Special thanks to life-long collector and Martial Artist, Professor Bruno Cruicchi for making the original available to me for this project.

The Straight Left and How to cultivate it by Jim Driscoll at Lulu

Blurb:
One of the most popular boxers of the early 20th Century, "Peerless" Jim Driscoll wrote multiple books instructing in the sweet science.

With a computed lifetime record of 63-4-6, 39 KO, physical trainer for the British Army in WWI, and internationally regarded for his technical skill, the Featherweight boxer had more than enough experience and skills to write this, somewhat short, book on the Straight Left.

More than just a "jab," Driscoll lays out his case that the Straight Left is a neglected, often misunderstood, workhorse of the skillful boxer. He builds his case from chapter to chapter, culminating with specific instruction on how to train with both live sparring partners, targets, shadow boxing, and footwork drills.

This book is a priceless snapshot of a nearly forgotten style, sure to please modern boxers and martial artists.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks again for making these old texts available and not charging an arm and leg.

I have seen some sell some of these old books that are free domain for $30 or more dollars.

OP
lklawson

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks again for making these old texts available and not charging an arm and leg.

I have seen some sell some of these old books that are free domain for $30 or more dollars.
Those ebay sellers trying to sell PDF downloads? There's one in particular that keeps trying to sell the PDFs I put up for free, in violation of the license on the PDF. He strips out the license and foreword and then tries to sell them for whatever he can. I've had ebay kills his auctions several times, but he just relists. It's maddening.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

J Ellis

Green Belt
Reaction score
I also appreciate your work in preserving and distributing these resources. Thank you, sir, for what you do.

Joel Ellis

Latest Discussions