The State of American Kenpo

OP
B

brentb

"Not Important" wrote this:

>Let me pose this, what seperates the good from the great?

>The answer is what really generates power!

I'd guess that the answer would be good technique. Something all the best Kenpo practitioners exemplify more than speed, power, or nerve strikes. Good precise technique, utilizing proper body mechanics.

so do I win???

take care
Brent

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Sandor

For your last question I'll post a quote from Master Planas that may help you a bit;

"If you practice a given form a thousand times you will be able to imagine the attackers as you execute the movement. If you practice the form another thousand times you will see the opponent there along with the attacks. If you practice the form yet another thousand times I will see your attackers there as I watch you do the form."

I like this. With someone who really knows their forms you can almost see the fight that is happening.

OP
K

Kirk

I can't wait to get to that point! The only frustration I see
at my school is the black belts, and high browns are trying
to explain to me what they've learned over their years of
training. There's no way they could, because it's experience
and afterthought that's gotten them to the point of understanding
at the level that they do. They say how much it would help
the learning process if they could just present in a way that
us beginners could understand, but I don't see that happening.
I can just train train train until I reach that level on enlightenment
for myself.

OP
R

Rob_Broad

I know I will get in trouble for this answer Kirk, but if it was easy it would be called Tae Kwon Do.

OP
N

Not Important

You are correct, but I was looking for stances and transitions on stances or footwork.

That is what I love about this system, their is almost always more than one option.

And Rob, your right it isn't that easy:)

OP
V

vincefuess

They ALL have their points Kirk, and they are ALL right. The art of Kenpo is vast and rich in its content, and it is the individuals own attributes that determine the direction for them to pursue.

As to the "state" of Kenpo- as far as I can see, the various "camps" of Kenpo are getting along better now than I have ever seen. There was a while there after SGM Parkers passing, that you couldn't even mention some names around many Kenpo practitioners without firing up a huge dispute. I think we are all getting along better now than ever before, and respecting one another for our differing viewpoints rather than criticizing one another, and this is a wonderful thing. Everybody has something to share, and all knowledge is good.

As to the content of the postings, well I love to talk "nuts and bolts" as much as anybody. I also like to discuss topics here that ARE NOT discussed on the mat at the school. Rumors, politics, events, musings, trivia, and peripheral data on Kenpo and martial arts. There is a faction of martial artists who believe that if EVERY discussion is not about technique or form that it is wasted time- but we are human and our interest in discussing our arts goes WAY BEYOND techniques and forms, and there is nothing wrong with that. All work and no play not only makes Jack a dull guy, but it also limits his knowledge.

kenpo_cory

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Different people do focus on different aspects. I think it depends on what your strong point is. And someone correct me if I'm wrong but the way I understand it, Mr. parker would focus on different aspects of the art with different people. He had the talent to recognize what your strong points were and give you deeper insight into those areas. That’s not to say he would neglect other areas of training. Also, from what I understand Mr. parker did this on purpose in the idea that it might unite all kenpoists in the case that he died. Just some things that I’ve heard. If anyone knows if this is true or not, let me know.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
had a saying....... work with his strengths.... He was a master of that. We must put this in proper context. Ed Parker in his latter years worked mainly with Black Belts except at Seminars. When he worked with the instructors he already had a person that had some knowledge of the Art. He would ask ..... "What can I do for yak today?" Then proceed to teach what the individual wanted or direct him to what he needed to improve on what ever he was talking about.

He related to everyone at their own level of understanding yet the content of his Art was not ad diversified and some think. He stuck to his principles yet used different wrapping paper for some. LOL
:asian:

OP
W

WilliamTLear

Originally posted by Goldendragon7
He stuck to his principles yet used different wrapping paper for some. LOL

He did say that he went to college to communicate with anyone on any level.
LOL :idea:

Billy Lear

OP
J

Jim Micozzi

Hello

I am new to the board. I have been studying American Kenpo for almost 6 years now. I previously trained in Tae Kwon Do and Tracy's Kenpo. I see the latest thread is about techniques. I have a complete list of both Tracy's and Parker's techniques. Here is a yellow belt technique for American Kenpo. I will post the tracy's version next week for comparision.

1. GRIP OF DEATH (flank head lock)

•1. With opponent applying lock from your left side, step forward and to your left (to 10 o'clock) with your right foot (into a right close kneel) while turning your head to the left and tucking your chin against your chest. Simultaneously deliver a right hammer fist to opponent's groin and a left hammer fist to opponent's kidney.
•2. As you pivot into a left forward bow facing 6 o'clock, have the fingers of your left hand press under opponent's nose or, depending upon the circumstances, have your left hand grab opponent's hair to force opponent's head back.
•3. Immediately follow-up with a right heel of palm thrust to opponent's chin as you pivot into a left forward bow. However, make sure that the head of your opponent in either of the above cases is arched and forced back and down to minimize your opponent's leverage thus preventing him from executing a right knee kick to your groin area

OP
G

GouRonin

One of the things about Grip of Death is that it assumes a lot in some ways. I'd rather roll with some grappling if I can but then there are times you just can't because of the enviromental concerns etc. In any case it leaves you the avenue to do both.

OP
N

Nate_Hoopes

We learned a technique just like grip of death, except reverse it, we started with opponet on the right etc, funny how all these different styles work together.

OP
J

Jim Micozzi

Gou Ronin

Could you elaborate on your last post? I was wondering what type of grappling technique you would utilize against a side headlock?

Here is the Tracy's version for a side headlock

HEADLOCK (ABC) - FOR THREE VARIATIONS OF HEADLOCKS
SIDE HEADLOCK - Step up right horse stance in front of the opponent, do a double hammerfist strike to the groin and kidney. Grab the hair from behind with the left hand and turn to a hard bow as the right palm strikes the jaw.
SIDE HEADLOCK AS THE OPPONENT PULLS YOU FORWARD Take two or three steps then drop to the knee closest to the opponent. Cover the face and do a ridge hand to the groin from between the legs.
FRONT FACE LOCK Push forward into opponent's stomach using your shoulder. Do rapid ridge hand strikes to the groin. It is important to remember Constant Forward Pressure.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by GouRonin
One of the things about Grip of Death is that it assumes a lot in some ways. I'd rather roll with some grappling if I can but then there are times you just can't because of the enviromental concerns etc. In any case it leaves you the avenue to do both.

Yes, as in all techniques you have choices depending upon your level of experience and understanding of the Art. At the Formulation Phase you should have examinined "several" options for "several" reasons thus leading to your choice of action.

Environmental conditions, "feel" of the grab, strength of the opponent, your personal abilities at the time of the encounter ie., current conditions of health, age, conditioning to falling or lack thereof....... so there are many independent or individual options that one may have at different times of thier life which will determine exactly how or what you respond with during any specific encournter....... just something to think about.

OP
G

GouRonin

Jim, I would like to work on a single side leg takedown if I could but like I said it is all based on what if's.

As for GoldenDragon. I wouldn't grapple with him. I'd rather run him over with a mack truck. Even then I doubt it would faze him much. We're talkin' one LARGE dude.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Actually, I'm quite enthusiastic about the State of the Art today. I think there are several groups expanding Kenpo and its growing in numbers.
As can be expected there will always be spin off groups that have no clue..... this happens with all aspects of life.

OP
B

brianhunter

>Here is the Tracy's version for a side headlock

>HEADLOCK (ABC) - FOR THREE VARIATIONS OF HEADLOCKS
>SIDE HEADLOCK - Step up right horse stance in front of the >opponent, do a double hammerfist strike to the groin and >kidney. Grab the hair from behind with the left hand and turn to >a hard bow as the right palm strikes the jaw.
>SIDE HEADLOCK AS THE OPPONENT PULLS YOU FORWARD Take >two or three steps then drop to the knee closest to the >opponent. Cover the face and do a ridge hand to the groin from >between the legs.
>FRONT FACE LOCK Push forward into opponent's stomach using >your shoulder. Do rapid ridge hand strikes to the groin. It is >important to remember Constant Forward Pressure

Well the first one against a side headlock sounds an awful lot like grip of death except for the stances.....

The second sounds alot like locking horns but it is against a front headlock

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Goldendragon7

Actually, I'm quite enthusiastic about the State of the Art today. I think there are several groups expanding Kenpo and its growing in numbers.
As can be expected there will always be spin off groups that have no clue..... this happens with all aspects of life.

Of course you're enthusiastic, cause over power us, dominate us, abuse us all lower ranks. It's kinda like your"Dark Hobby!"

I also know you're looking to eliminate a few of us, assimilate some, and turn the rest into orphans. Oh woe is us!:eek:

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by GouRonin

As for GoldenDragon. We're talkin' one LARGE dude.

How large are we talking about here? GD7 ... could you email
me, [email protected] . As embarassing as this is to
say publicly ... I need a larger ghi than what's commercially
available. If you know somewhere I can purchase a new ghi,
could you let me know?

Latest Discussions