The Red Stripe Revolution.....

R

rattlerbrat

Oh, you mean the black belts with stripes, hearts, stars and clovers on their belts? ;)

I just get a little irritated at the thought that we Kenpoists shouldn't be proud of what we've accomplished. I understand we're supposed to be humble, and it's not the belt, it's the (wo)man who wears it and all. But I've noticed that a lot of people who shun the stripes (not here, just in general) tend to bring up 'the old way'. "Well, when IIIIIII was a young student - back when Jesus and I were buddies - we never wore stripes! And we ran seven miles! Uphill! Both ways! In the SNOW! With no shoes on! And we had to get flexible by having our legs ripped at both sides! And..." It's like hearing bad war stories. Okay, I get it. You're old school studying in the new school. But you know what? In the OLD, old days, people didn't even wear gis, women couldn't train and the injury level was astronomically high. So let's give a loud kiai! for a little bit of updating of the system, okay?

Yes, I'll display my belts...in my home. And I'll proudly wear my belt...at the dojo. I don't see anything wrong with that, as long as you carry yourself in a humble manner. (Our dojo is across the street from the mall, and any time we run across the street for lunch, the belts come off!) Not to mention the fact that the difference between a shodan, a nidan and a sandan tend to be very, very vast - and I'm sure our high-ranking black belts here will probably agree! We need some sort of way to show the seperation, in my opinion.

Kenpobuff

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Great thread.

Colors and stripes are necessary in class situations for the instructor's benefit. For tournament participants colors should be worn for under black. Above black stripes are optional...depending on ego. Official functions, wear a tie with the black GI affair, lol.

At last year's Inland Empire MA Tourn. Skip Hancock as organizer wore no stripes and sported only an old grey belt. Just as he referenced in the book "The Journey". The only one of the honorees in the book that claimed no rank after Mr. Parker's passing. I'm not supporting or disagreeing with his decision, just an observation.

My two stripes worth.

Steve

JenniM

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Red Stripes....well I'm still a newbie to Kenpo compared to some of you guys, having started out in 1981 - in between breaks in training for "life events" I eventually graded to 1st Black in 2000 - yeah I know a long time.... and I was just so damn pleased to get that little red stripe on my belt - it was a tremendously personal journey for me and marked a huge achievement and a tough all day grading - I know I'd worked for it, earnt it and was proud to wear it - having said that some five years later having earnt two more red stripes - I am now starting my SL4 Kenpo journey and am quite happy to revert back to a plain black belt - hey it holds your Gi together, as long as you know where you're at - retain your humility and respect for others you can't go far wrong - and yes I do wear my stripes as well - I'm proud of them!!

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
JenniM said:
Red Stripes....well I'm still a newbie to Kenpo compared to some of you guys, having started out in 1981 - in between breaks in training for "life events" I eventually graded to 1st Black in 2000 - yeah I know a long time.... and I was just so damn pleased to get that little red stripe on my belt - it was a tremendously personal journey for me and marked a huge achievement and a tough all day grading - I know I'd worked for it, earnt it and was proud to wear it - having said that some five years later having earnt two more red stripes - I am now starting my SL4 Kenpo journey and am quite happy to revert back to a plain black belt - hey it holds your Gi together, as long as you know where you're at - retain your humility and respect for others you can't go far wrong - and yes I do wear my stripes as well - I'm proud of them!!
Her Majesty may wear anything she chooses.

kenpo_cory

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Personally I never even cared to have a black belt. The knowledge yes, the belt, who cares. But I cant learn all the 2nd black techiques until I obtain my black belt. But I guess there's a formal test for a reason right? My instructor has been telling me ive been ready for black belt for a while now. I just like the dissapointed look on people's faces when they ask me if im a black belt and I say no.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
JenniM - congrats on your belt and welcome to the club. It ain't hard to stay humble, all you have to do is get out on the mats and see what is out there.

Keepin' it Kenpo,
-Michael

OZman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I woud be in favour (yes Oz spelling) of getting rid of all the stuff off the uniform..nice plain black uniform with a 4" crest. Simple clean and direct, just like Kenpo.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
OZman said:
I woud be in favour (yes Oz spelling) of getting rid of all the stuff off the uniform..nice plain black uniform with a 4" crest. Simple clean and direct, just like Kenpo.
Me too. In fact that is what our uniforms used to look like "back in the day." Then the Old Man went International Commercial followed by; stripes on the belts, crest on the chest, name over the crest, association on the shoulder, universal on the shoulder, school on the shoulder, IKC on the chest, AND some wise guy otta Arizona even had red piped bell bottoms. Can you believe that? What the hell was he thinking? Give me the good old days, (Before the bell bottoms and mutton chop sideburns)

OZman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yes, but; you can never tell about folks from AZ, those guys are animals. They love lots of cool looking stuff on their uniforms. I bet he would even like the crest and our names embroidered on the back. :uhyeah:

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Doc said:
AND some wise guy otta Arizona even had red piped bell bottoms. Can you believe that? What the hell was he thinking? Give me the good old days, (Before the bell bottoms and mutton chop sideburns)

OZman said:
ok now BOTH of you are in trouble and will have to pay the price.......

Attachments

• $dennissidekick78.jpg
    $dennissidekick78.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 151
  • $dennisneutralbow78.jpg
    $dennisneutralbow78.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 154
  • $edparker76.jpg
    $edparker76.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 146
  • $dennisdestructivetwins78.jpg
    $dennisdestructivetwins78.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 153

OZman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well, you can't argue with all that charm and beauty. You see, we all secretly aspire to look as good as the GD. I mean I would like to look like Clyde, but that wood make me fat and hairy, I'm afraid of the public reaction.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Goldendragon7 said:
So uhhhhhhh, who's the geek with the funny haircut and bell bottom gi pants?

JenniM

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Michael Billings said:
JenniM - congrats on your belt and welcome to the club. It ain't hard to stay humble, all you have to do is get out on the mats and see what is out there.

Keepin' it Kenpo,
-Michael
Thanks Michael totally agree - that's what keeps you grounded and I'm out there all the time :)

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It's not exactly an issue for me at the moment...

However, I have no problem seeing someone wearing a striped belt which they have earned, but for me, personal preference would just be a plain belt, out of modesty, and acceptance that I will always be a student.

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
Goldendragon7 said:
Dennis,

Those photos don't scare me brotha.....I'll just hit you over the head with a baseball bat when you are not looking and the run as fast as my short little legs can move.

Hee, hee.

Jamie Seabrook
www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

Dark Kenpo Lord

Brown Belt
Reaction score
OZman said:
Well, you can't argue with all that charm and beauty. You see, we all secretly aspire to look as good as the GD. I mean I would like to look like Clyde, but that wood make me fat and hairy, I'm afraid of the public reaction.
FAT? Explain your idea of fat at 6' 205 lbs. with a 44" chest.

DarK LorD

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
Dark Kenpo Lord said:
FAT? Explain your idea of fat at 6' 205 lbs. with a 44" chest.

DarK LorD
Clyde,

I saw your Delayed Sword video, and pictures on your website. You look strong, big, and tough as he&* to me! Kudos to you for letting yourself be known across the globe and not being afraid to show your kenpo. Can't wait for LV baby!

BTW - I am 5'6, 160 lbs, so on paper, I don't have a chance at our friendly Las Vegas sparring match. But if I had to choose, I predict that I will come out on top.

Jamie Seabrook
www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

P.S. Is the seminar that you are teaching the black belts sparring based or were you plannng on self-defense techniques? Should be fun either way.

Latest Discussions