The power of the .50

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
MACaver said:
Not to sound like a 8 yr old... but I'll be somber if they'll be somber for the people they are killing on a daily basis. As you said it is war in war people die by whatever weapons are brought to bear upon them. The idea and intent is to get rid of the enemy in as quick and as effective method as possible.
This weapon is obvious fired from an extreme distance to targets well hidden and that they are bringing their weapons to bear upon our troops. Note the title of the video clip... "Counter-sniper".
I see and respect your view that these are fellow human beings. Problem is that they don't share your respect and view point. Given the opportunity they will kill as many as they can.
Thus they are a threat to those who are civilized enough to know that while killing is wrong... it is ... sometimes necessary.

I'll back James up here.

I know that he isn't saying that they didn't deserve it. But....that is someones head for crying out loud. Taking a "that was the coolest" attitude is probably inappropriate. I can understand it coming from a soldier who is actually there, where dehumanization of th enemy is what is nessecary to fight and kill. But if your not there, then you have no excuse in my opinion. Stooping to the level of others who would rejoice if they killed us the same way is not an excuse either.

I don't mind being awed by the destruction or discussing it academically, but come on guys....

Paul

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Where whould we be without Mr.Browning?? :idunno:

icon10.gif

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
I'll back James up here.

I know that he isn't saying that they didn't deserve it. But....that is someones head for crying out loud. Taking a "that was the coolest" attitude is probably inappropriate. I can understand it coming from a soldier who is actually there, where dehumanization of th enemy is what is nessecary to fight and kill. But if your not there, then you have no excuse in my opinion. Stooping to the level of others who would rejoice if they killed us the same way is not an excuse either.

I don't mind being awed by the destruction or discussing it academically, but come on guys....

Paul
Well since this media format is difficult to ascertain one's true tonal inflections I will say this and hopefully the topic will revert back to the weapon itself.
I wasn't rejoicing at the loss of a human being, I never do. As far as dehumanization of the enemy... don't you think they do a better job than we do by their actions?

Ennyway... it's an awesome gun and aptly suited for it's designed purpose. I've heard of these weapons being able to penetrate engine blocks, cinderblock walls and other barriers that would under other calibers deflect the round. I suppose that it is what this particular model was designed for.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
MACaver said:
Well since this media format is difficult to ascertain one's true tonal inflections I will say this and hopefully the topic will revert back to the weapon itself.
I wasn't rejoicing at the loss of a human being, I never do. As far as dehumanization of the enemy... don't you think they do a better job than we do by their actions?

Yes...I agree that they do a much better job of that then we do. Also, I am not even faulting a soldier for doing it on the battlefield...as they are doing what they have too to enable them psychologically to fight the war. When My friends called me on satallite, they had a lot of battle stories involving the "rag heads." I didn't and don't fault them for that, as they are on the battlefield. However, now that most of these guys I worked with are back, they all take a "what happened on the battlefield stays on the battlefield" approach. There is no glorification of the taking of human lives from these guys....just honor for protecting each other and doing what they had too under our flag.

For the record, MAcaver, I am not accusing you of anything....just making the point in general.

Ennyway... it's an awesome gun and aptly suited for it's designed purpose. I've heard of these weapons being able to penetrate engine blocks, cinderblock walls and other barriers that would under other calibers deflect the round. I suppose that it is what this particular model was designed for.

True that. I am not well informed of that piece of artillary, but holy cow does it seem effective.

Paul

T

TonyM.

Love the Barret, love the M2. Mr. John Browning will probably never be surpassed as a firearms designer. Perfecting the lever action and the pump. Designing the 1911, the BAR, the Browning .30, the M2 .50. The man was a genious.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
*note to self* If Paul ever invites you over, politely refuse.... :uhyeah:

Latest Discussions