The pizza terminator

OP
OULobo

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
raedyn said:
So now Pizza Hut empoyees that may have previously ignored the 'no-gun' rule may stop because they realize that their company really will fire them. And it's now publicly acknowledge that their employees don't carry. I wonder if this would make Pizza Hut delivery people more of a target for people wanting to jump delivery guys?

I would say that it all comes down to something my Pappy used to say, "You can do what you want just don't get caught." This guy got caught, but my guess is that it isn't going to change how many of the employees that carried before are going to carry now. My guess is many won't see pizza delivery as something to risk their lives over, and will carry anyway until they quit or get caught. I know I would.

G

Gaidheal

It occurs to me.. the best way to not risk life over the pizza, whilst still actually working for the firm, is simply to hand over the pizza and the cash (if asked) and let them leave. It's only pizza and/or money at the end of the day and it's not even their money, it's the company's. I suspect this is the official recommendation / policy in fact, though off the record it might be different, since companies tend to be fond of their money and products.

John

R

raedyn

Gaidheal said:
It's only pizza and/or money at the end of the day and it's not even their money, it's the company's.
Well.. that depends. Many pizza places operate their delivery guys as contractors who 'buy' the pizza from the pizza place and 'resell' it to the guy they are delivering it to. Thus the company doesn't have to pay the delivery guy minimum wage. He's paid like peicework and the company isn't obligated to reimburse him. (Get the wrong employee and he could say "they just took the pizza and locked me out and there's nothing I could do" when that's a bunch of lies and he's pocketing what the customer really did pay). Even if the company absorbed the loss that paid for the pizza, the dude would be out all his tips and his float and whatever other $$ or valuables he happened to have on his person.

I suspect this is the official recommendation / policy in fact, though off the record it might be different, since companies tend to be fond of their money and products.
agreed

G

Gaidheal

Aye, good point about the 'self-employed' type delivery guy. It is a worry for some firms and some do operate that way here too (UK). Even so.. it's still just money and pizza, even when it is the delivery guy's money and pizza. Bottom line... is your life worth a $10 pizza plus whatever your float and takings so far comes to?

John

OP
OULobo

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gaidheal said:
Aye, good point about the 'self-employed' type delivery guy. It is a worry for some firms and some do operate that way here too (UK). Even so.. it's still just money and pizza, even when it is the delivery guy's money and pizza. Bottom line... is your life worth a $10 pizza plus whatever your float and takings so far comes to?

John

Sometimes the pizza and money are just a reason to do something worse. If they are willing to commit armed robbery for pizza and small bills, what is to stop them from stepping up to rape or senseless (read: power tripping) murder. Besides if you get a few pizzas and money stolen, then the company fires you and you might get shot, carry a gun and you might get fired, but you got a better chance at defending yourself. In the end you get fired either way, but only one way you have a decent chance of stopping anything worse from happening.

R

raedyn

OULobo said:
only one way you have a decent chance of stopping anything worse from happening.
Interesting to me that this would be claimed by a martial artist on a martial arts forum....

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sometimes the bad guys call for a pizza to an isolated location for the sole purpose of killing the carrier (thrill kill stuff). The robbery is an after thought. Thats one of the reasons pizza parlors ask for a phone # for delivery orders.

OP
OULobo

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
raedyn said:
Interesting to me that this would be claimed by a martial artist on a martial arts forum....

It would take a pretty desperate situation for me to try anything against a guy with a gun pointed at me.

Rynocerous

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I personally believe that this guy should look up in this situation. If I were in his position I sure the hell wouldn't had given my life to protect the almighty pizza. Ridiculous, and he shouln't want to continue with the company anyways.

Cheers,

Ryan

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interesting article, raising many points.

Sadly, I can see both sides.

Latest Discussions