The Perfect Weapon Form

Kenpo Mama

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey all,

Knowing how much i love to learn and practice forms, and having learned all the required forms for my next belt level, my instructor has taught me the Perfect Weapon Form. I am having a blast learning this form and i was wondering if anyone else has tried to piece it together from the movie.

I know when i watched it (before learning it) i would be able to pick up a technique here and there, but now watching it and knowing exactly what Mr. Speakman is going to do next, just makes it that much more intense.

My instructor tells me that it contains a lot of techs from my next Long Form 6 (as well as techs from 4) and has really helped to firm up the left/right aspect of the weapon techs for me. (A FUN CHALLENGE!) I also find it to be a nice workout (more kicks than in the my earlier forms).

The only problem i'm having is watching the video and doing the still-frames with the remote - as far as i know it hasn't been released on DVD. I am thinking of taking the video snippet and burning to a CD or DVD, so i can watch frame by frame. Thank goodness for modern technology! Does anyone know any interesting stories about the creation of this form or the movie? Just curious.

Good Journey!

Kenpo Mama :asian:

M

Mark Weiser

Actually I have the movie rented currently and it is my favorite Kenpo Movie. What do you want to know lol.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mr. Parker choreographed the movie and Mr. Conater has a lot of first hand knowledge aboout it. It is part of Long Form #4 and Long Form #6, but was it done as you see it on tape, or was much of it on the cutting room floor? What was shown was cool ... but not a Form with a central theme except what would look good on film.

-Michael

OP
Kenpo Mama

Kenpo Mama

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Michael Billings said:
Mr. Parker choreographed the movie and Mr. Conater has a lot of first hand knowledge aboout it. It is part of Long Form #4 and Long Form #6, but was it done as you see it on tape, or was much of it on the cutting room floor? What was shown was cool ... but not a Form with a central theme except what would look good on film.

-Michael
Thanks for responding Mr. Billings, i kinda' figured that "some" of the form was left on the cutting room floor in order to hold the viewer to the screen for the opening 1 min 30 sec. intro to the film. At times it is a little less than symetrical and some of the techs are done a "little" differently than i have seen before. You are also correct about the form not having a central theme - but it is COOL!

I hope Mr. Conaster gets a chance to respond to this thread and maybe add some insight into what the thoughts were on the choreography of the form and also what was "left behind" in the actual film.

Thanks again,

Good Journey,

Kenpo Mama (Donna) :asian:

OP
Kenpo Mama

Kenpo Mama

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Mark Weiser said:
Actually I have the movie rented currently and it is my favorite Kenpo Movie. What do you want to know lol.
Hey Mark, you fellow Perfect Weapon lover! When i started learning the form, my hubby (pete - also a martial talk contributor) ordered the tape for me. So now i get to watch it anytime i want!!! It is a great kenpo flick! The only problem is that as soon as my family hears the "THE POWER" music, they run for the hills!!! "OH No!!!! She's watching it again!!!!" So now i mute the sound so i can watch it without disturbing anyone (read - anytime and as often as i want!) LOL!!!

Peace

Kenpo Mama (Donna) :ultracool

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mr. Speakman did a demonstartion at the Battle of Atlanta a few years ago, I saw it on ESPN 2 and video taped it, and he does that form, and there is no off angles shots. If I can get someone to transfer it to mpeg format I will let you know Kenpo Mama.

OP
Kenpo Mama

Kenpo Mama

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Rob Broad said:
Mr. Speakman did a demonstartion at the Battle of Atlanta a few years ago, I saw it on ESPN 2 and video taped it, and he does that form, and there is no off angles shots. If I can get someone to transfer it to mpeg format I will let you know Kenpo Mama.

Rob, that would be fantastic! Thanks for responding! Sounds like it was awesome!

Peace,

Kenpo Mama :ultracool

M

Mark Weiser

I thought about putting the that song as background music on my homepage of my business website. But I did one better.

A sound bite from Kindergarten Cop: "You come in here and point a gun at me while I am trying to get a manicure!"

LOL LOL!!!

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hmmmmm.........I got this video for Christmas last year- one of my favorite movies too. I am currently learning Long 6 so now that I know there are parts of it in there.........I will have to go look at it again and see if anything looks familiar to me now!!

:asian: :karate:

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I undersatnd the addiction.

Attachments

• $Img00001.JPG
    $Img00001.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 408

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I loved that form as well and have always wanted to learn it, but haven't found a way yet. I still have a copy of the movie from when it was first on HBO.

Has anyone learned this form and wrote down a description of it? I bet that would be something to have archived because every kenpo forum I have ever seen has had questions about what he was doing.

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kenpo Mama said:
Does anyone know any interesting stories about the creation of this form or the movie? Just curious.

Good Journey!

Kenpo Mama :asian:
OK, I'll chime in. When Mr. Speakman was here shooting "The Gunman" here in Dec 2002 someone asked this question. As I recall, as Mr. Billings has said, Mr. Speakman said the form was part Long 4 (and Long 5?) and Long 6 with a little Goju thrown in. In particular he put in a part somewhere in there that made it onto the film that was Goju as a tribute to Mr. Angel. Mr. Speakman told us that Mr. Angel got very emotional when he saw it because he properly took Mr. Speakman's meaning that Mr. Speakman was saluting Mr. Angel in this part of the film.

Very cool anecdote I thought. He also said that this was the only Kenpo part of the movie that Mr. Parker didn't see. Mr. Parker choreographed all the fights apparently, but let Mr. Speakman make up the form on his own, Mr. Parker never saw the completed form or the completed film. Mr. Speakman also does not like to reminisce about the Perfect weapon because he himself gets very emotional. He says that he spent a lot of time on the movie and the set working with Mr. Parker and it is just very emotional for him to recall.

That is all I know. :asian:

M

Mark Weiser

If anyone has a VCR with a S plug & in the back of their video and sound card they can hook up the VCR to the computer and download the movie to HD and then burn it to the DVD Recorder.

Things you need on PC ( I maybe missing somethings here but it will get the thoughts flowing lol)
  • DVD Recorder
  • 128 MB Video Card with S Video Plug
  • Surround Sound Card
  • DVD Recording Software
  • 100 MB Storage Space to place Movie on HD

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mark Weiser said:
If anyone has a VCR with a S plug & in the back of their video and sound card they can hook up the VCR to the computer and download the movie to HD and then burn it to the DVD Recorder.

Things you need on PC ( I maybe missing somethings here but it will get the thoughts flowing lol)
  • DVD Recorder
  • 128 MB Video Card with S Video Plug
  • Surround Sound Card
  • DVD Recording Software
  • 100 MB Storage Space to place Movie on HD
Think I'll just practice it with Kenpo Mama. :ultracool KT

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
lookin at those specs, that rules me out :idunno:

i sure hope somebody could do this, i'd love to get copy from someone, just the intro form :cool:

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
cdhall said:
OK, I'll chime in. When Mr. Speakman was here shooting "The Gunman" here in Dec 2002 someone asked this question. As I recall, as Mr. Billings has said, Mr. Speakman said the form was part Long 4 (and Long 5?) and Long 6 with a little Goju thrown in. In particular he put in a part somewhere in there that made it onto the film that was Goju as a tribute to Mr. Angel. Mr. Speakman told us that Mr. Angel got very emotional when he saw it because he properly took Mr. Speakman's meaning that Mr. Speakman was saluting Mr. Angel in this part of the film.

Very cool anecdote I thought. He also said that this was the only Kenpo part of the movie that Mr. Parker didn't see. Mr. Parker choreographed all the fights apparently, but let Mr. Speakman make up the form on his own, Mr. Parker never saw the completed form or the completed film. Mr. Speakman also does not like to reminisce about the Perfect weapon because he himself gets very emotional. He says that he spent a lot of time on the movie and the set working with Mr. Parker and it is just very emotional for him to recall.

Thanks for posting that, Doug. I remember that seminar (the night after the film shoot). It was GREAT; it was only scheduled for an hour but it turned out to be 3 hrs long and packed with a lot of info! :D

OP
Kenpo Mama

Kenpo Mama

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
punisher73 said:
I loved that form as well and have always wanted to learn it, but haven't found a way yet. I still have a copy of the movie from when it was first on HBO.

Has anyone learned this form and wrote down a description of it? I bet that would be something to have archived because every kenpo forum I have ever seen has had questions about what he was doing.
Right now i just have it written in terms of the techs that are included in order, there are a few transitions between techs so you can kinda' pick it up by slowing the tape down and watching. There are rod techs, storm techs and a bunch of lances, and it also includes a five sword variation. Maybe in a couple of months (when i feel more comfortable with it) i'll try to get it down on paper including the transitions, if it doesn't turn up elsewhere.

Good Journey

OP
Kenpo Mama

Kenpo Mama

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
cdhall said:

Great Story! Thanks for sharing it. I could see how Mr. Speakman would get very emotional speaking about the film. They must have worked together very closely over the course of filming. I didn't realize that Mr. Parker did not see the completed film. I never looked at the release date. How very sad. It is a great kenpo movie. Now you also have me wondering about the Goju part of the form - maybe that is the part that i can't relate to anything else. Go figure.

Thanks again.

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kenpo Mama said:
Hey Mark, you fellow Perfect Weapon lover! When i started learning the form, my hubby (pete - also a martial talk contributor) ordered the tape for me. So now i get to watch it anytime i want!!! It is a great kenpo flick! The only problem is that as soon as my family hears the "THE POWER" music, they run for the hills!!! "OH No!!!! She's watching it again!!!!" So now i mute the sound so i can watch it without disturbing anyone (read - anytime and as often as i want!) LOL!!!

Peace

Kenpo Mama (Donna) :ultracool

It's one of my favorite movies too (not the dialogue, just the Kenpo stuff and the fact that Mr. Parker worked on it also). It's interesting how many actors who are famous now were in it as well.....anyway, the weird thing is, I saw it in the theatre when it first came out (I was in college on a date with some guy) and then years later, when I enrolled in a Kenpo school & saw a picture of Mr. Speakman I told my fellow students, "I've seen a movie with that guy in it. Who is he?" Boy, did I get an earful.....so maybe seeing that film years ago was foreshadowing the future.....;D

OP
Kenpo Mama

Kenpo Mama

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Rob Broad said:
I undersatnd the addiction.
Ah yes, *cues the theme song* - *removes furniture and some articles of clothing* - "I GOT THE POWER"! Life is good!

Kenpo Mama:ultracool