The New Shogun

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Episode 7 (‘A Stick of Time’) was a bit of a brutal departure from the original series and book, from what I can recall. Did anyone else see it?

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have read the book and seen the 80's series, own it etc. I'm pretty impressed with the series. I must admit it's been like 20 years since seeing the other. So I did not see a real difference but then maybe I am only on episode 6 LOL. I think this was the one they killed the gardener. I'm enjoying it quite a bit

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have read the book and seen the 80's series, own it etc. I'm pretty impressed with the series. I must admit it's been like 20 years since seeing the other. So I did not see a real difference but then maybe I am only on episode 6 LOL. I think this was the one they killed the gardener. I'm enjoying it quite a bit
Oh I think the gardener copped it in episode 4 or 5! Episode 7 is a real departure.

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ah I will need to catch up. We use a streaming service so everything we watch we kind of catch up. I have to finish this one as my kid who found her own place is taking the Disney TV with her LOL

gyoja

Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spoiler alert;
Naga doesn’t die in James Clavell’s Shōgun

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The original mini-series was great+.
I’m finding the new version’s dark, gloomy and rainy setting a bit unappealing. The 80s version was sunny and bright with moments of levity!
But it was ‘of it’s time’ and like ‘Bonanza’, ‘Little House on the Prairie’ and ‘Star Trek’ (TOS❤️) etc, it doesn't bear close scrutiny.

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
I’m finding the new version’s dark, gloomy and rainy setting a bit unappealing. The 80s version was sunny and bright with moments of levity!
But it was ‘of it’s time’ and like ‘Bonanza’, ‘Little House on the Prairie’ and ‘Star Trek’ (TOS❤️) etc, it doesn't bear close scrutiny.
I will definitely agree with that. It did have a much lighter feel.

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mariko sama proves to be a formidable woman!

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I HATED little shack on the prairie. Remember that episode where the Cheyenne show up to Walnut Grove, burn it to the ground and feather the back of every emmereffer there? Excepting Nellie and Mrs Olsen, who get carried off to become mules for the Cheyenne women. Ah yes, my favorite episode.

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I HATED little shack on the prairie.
Twee nonsense wasn’t it?
Remember that episode where the Cheyenne show up to Walnut Grove, burn it to the ground and feather the back of every emmereffer there? Excepting Nellie and Mrs Olsen, who get carried off to become mules for the Cheyenne women. Ah yes, my favorite episode.
Oh yes that was such a sweet episode.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Mariko sama proves to be a formidable woman!
Marino in the old mini series was hotter.
And far more trustworthy towards Blackthorn.

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marino in the old mini series was hotter.
And far more trustworthy towards Blackthorn.
As I suggested earlier in the thread, 80s Mariko was ‘cute’ whereas Mariko 2024 is sexy. I agree that the relationship between her and Blackthorne in 2024 is much more ambiguous and distant, but that fits in with her ice maiden persona. I’m not sure what I think of Cosmo Jarvis’s portrayal. His guttural delivery is a little odd but his ‘confused little boy’ look fits in with his situation.

Anna Sakai is a very sweet person

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it was the best so far. It’s been a very slow series overall, but I remember the original being like that and much more was made of Japanese culture and language because everyone was enraptured by that back then.

gyoja

Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it was the best so far. It’s been a very slow series overall, but I remember the original being like that and much more was made of Japanese culture and language because everyone was enraptured by that back then.
You are definitely right about the cultural aspect. I was first recommended the book from a Shotokan student after I began cross training with them. I only knew Korean language and customs, so I had a lot of questions. He suggested Shogun as a fun read.

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The last episode was rather lovely in a melancholic way. I even shed a tear at one point.

Latest Discussions