The Nephilim

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think you have your history a bit skewed. 'Vikings' didn't exist until the 18th century, no one at the time would have recognised themselves as 'Vikings'.

History of the North of England as refers to the Northmen.

http://www.englandsnortheast.co.uk/IrishNorse.html

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/150903/Danegeld

The Normans, the last people to conquer England were actually 'vikings', so, not such a good thing for England.

http://www.hyw.com/books/history/vikings_.htm
Skewed only, by the fact that Northmen weren't considered Vikings til later in History. Being of Norwegian descent, I'm comfortable with the term, Norge Men, myself. :)

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well there's the Romans, the Saxons, the Angles, the Danes, the Norweigians, the Frisians, the Greeks , the Phoenicians (they all came for tin and other metals) etc etc etc..... we'll take the lot lol. the Celts are natives though...we think.

We do quite happily absorb people from other countries but we don't then kick them out, they just all become English. That's where he had the history wrong, we don't absorb them, interbreed then rise up and kick them out, it didn't happen like that. They get subsumed into our way of life and culture even the Normans did because then we went on to have several wars against the French!
The fact is, Britain absorbed them, and the whole point of mentioning them is to say they looked enough like the native people, and a positive trait of being very tall; so, nobody was overly fearful of getting "Northmen" blood in their family. Had they been dark skinned, history would have played out a little differently. The Cogots of France were dark skinned and they had to ring a bell anytime they came to town, and they built their Churches with a special door. The Nazis took their differences a little more seriously, and as a result there are hardly any left.
Sean

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think you have your history a bit skewed. 'Vikings' didn't exist until the 18th century, no one at the time would have recognised themselves as 'Vikings'.

The Normans, the last people to conquer England were actually 'vikings', so, not such a good thing for England.

You must be wrong. According to this http://www.ydalir.co.uk/gallery/2006/lindisfarne.htm the Vikings first invaded in 793. In the USA we have Viking encampments going back to I think the 1300s. And to cap it all off, the movie Viking quoted an English prayer book from I think the 1000s asking for protection from Viking raids. They wouldn't lie would they? ;-)

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hmm, muddy waters here :D. "Viking" only came into wide use as a term for the Norse in about the nineteenth century I think? I put a question mark there as I am not certain without more research.

Any road up, it has come to be retrospectively used, even in quite serious historical studies, as the term for the various flavours of Scandinavian raiders. The Norman's that conquered Britain in 1066 are also considered to be Norse (or Northmen) rather than the French that was the common misconception for quite a while. Most people whose roots go back a fair way in this country have a percentage of Norse blood in them, thanks to the Normans and the various Viking raiders (who eventually became settlers).

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm, muddy waters here :D. "Viking" only came into wide use as a term for the Norse in about the nineteenth century I think? I put a question mark there as I am not certain without more research.

Any road up, it has come to be retrospectively used, even in quite serious historical studies, as the term for the various flavours of Scandinavian raiders. The Norman's that conquered Britain in 1066 are also considered to be Norse (or Northmen) rather than the French that was the common misconception for quite a while. Most people whose roots go back a fair way in this country have a percentage of Norse blood in them, thanks to the Normans and the various Viking raiders (who eventually became settlers).

Thats what I was saying, they weren't called Vikings until the 18th century, they had various names before, Norsemen, Danes etc.

We did integrate the 'Viking' invaders but the descendants didn't kill the Vikings off as Touch of Death said in his post. they became part of English society.

I can't see why the population here would have worried about 'dark' people, the native Celts were dark or red haired ( still are), the Romans were and there had been trading Mediterranean countries since 2000BCE so that is not a sound theory at all. We'd had black Africans in England since Roman times, as soldiers, traders etc. They also intermarried btw so I don't think the 'fair' analogy is correct.

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thats what I was saying, they weren't called Vikings until the 18th century, they had various names before, Norsemen, Danes etc.

We did integrate the 'Viking' invaders but the descendants didn't kill the Vikings off as Touch of Death said in his post. they became part of English society.

I can't see why the population here would have worried about 'dark' people, the native Celts were dark or red haired ( still are), the Romans were and there had been trading Mediterranean countries since 2000BCE so that is not a sound theory at all. We'd had black Africans in England since Roman times, as soldiers, traders etc. They also intermarried btw so I don't think the 'fair' analogy is correct.
I didn't say they killed the Vikings off, I said they finally repelled the invaders. I'm sure marrying black Africans didn't really catch on as a trend in Britain... In fact I'm positive! LOL So answer this, how would the Britains handled the Cogots better than the French? Is there some underlying racism in French culture that the Britains didn't share?
Sean

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't say they killed the Vikings off, I said they finally repelled the invaders. I'm sure marrying black Africans didn't really catch on as a trend in Britain... In fact I'm positive! LOL So answer this, how would the Britains handled the Cogots better than the French? Is there some underlying racism in French culture that the Britains didn't share?

Sean

You are kidding right? I think you need to have a good read up on history text books rather than fiction. Black people been here since the Romans invaded at the very least.
http://www.history.ac.uk/makinghistory/resources/articles/black_history.html

You have to remember the history of black people in the UK is not that of black people in the USA, in fact it's very different. There's a lot of recorded evidence that intermarriages happened, all through our history and still happens, it was never illegal here to intemarry with a different 'race'. Look up Tiger Bay Cardiff and Liverpool.

http://www.englandsnortheast.co.uk/KingdomofNorthumbria.html

"In the vicinity of Roman forts, native Britons intermarried with Roman soldiers enlisted from far flung corners of the Roman empire like Iraq or North Africa."

France is known as the most rascist country in Europe, we never had a situation similiar to that of the Cagots, the nearest similiar situation is in India with the caste system. No, we don't share the French's penchant for showing their rascism in that way.

We didn't repel the Vikings invaders at all, the English married them, paid them off, made them royalty but never repelled them, the Norsemen came and conquered England with William.

Vikings...

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

What the... really? Wow. That blows my mind. I always thought that the William the Conqueror and the Normans were essentially French.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What the... really? Wow. That blows my mind. I always thought that the William the Conqueror and the Normans were essentially French.

http://peter.mackenzie.org/history/hist207.htm

Normandy to this day doesn't regard itself as 'French', the Bretons in Brittany are Celts related to the Cornish, their languages are much the same, they can certainly understand each other and the Welsh.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
http://peter.mackenzie.org/history/hist207.htm

Normandy to this day doesn't regard itself as 'French', the Bretons in Brittany are Celts related to the Cornish, their languages are much the same, they can certainly understand each other and the Welsh.
I'll say this. You guys have an amazingly diverse and interesting history for such a relatively small plot of land floating off the coast of Europe.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll say this. You guys have an amazingly diverse and interesting history for such a relatively small plot of land floating off the coast of Europe.

The history of the UK is fascinating and a subject I'm deeply interested in. Every village, town and city has a story to tell, sometimes even just a field has!
This isn't bad. http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/interactive/timelines/british/index_embed.shtml

People think we are being funny when we pick people up on whether they say UK or GB, England etc but it's the historical roots that run deep that make saying what you mean important. Black history here should be taken seriously as it's different from America's history and it's important to remember that. All history is important, better to learn it properly rather than pine over creatures from fiction or fancy or mistranslations of other peoples religious books...again!

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A very important history as far as the rest of the Western world is concerned too. It's an interesting thought experiment to imagine a world where British influence did not rise to the predominance it had. Leaving aside almost everything else, it would be a different technological landscape that's for sure.

One thing that stands out for me in my countries history and it's taken a long time to come to light due to the later off-the-beaten-trackness of the sites but it turns out that when the Roman Empire imploded, the flame of learning, literacy and scholarship was kept alive here in Britain. Kept alive for centuries too, until Christianity took too deep a hold of the ruling classes and education was something that only those at the top were allowed to have.

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I didn`t read about the Vikings in fictional book, but thanks for your concern. Secondly, it is pretty easy to call the French a bunch of racists when you never had their problems.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn`t read about the Vikings in fictional book, but thanks for your concern. Secondly, it is pretty easy to call the French a bunch of racists when you never had their problems.

I take it you don't know much about France then? France itself is a relatively modern construction, like most of Europe it was a collection of different peoples and races, I'm not sure what you consider their problems then. I know the Provencal very well, I also know France and it's history very well, I know of it's rascism, try being a minority in France living in what are basically ghettos, I know Lyon and quite a few people of Arab descent there. I also know it from a Jewish point of view. From a British point of view we have the descendents of the Hugeneots here, Protestants who fled France after persecution.

Really you shouldn't assume you think you have any idea of what someone else knows either about their own country or a neighbouring one.

mmartist

Green Belt
Reaction score

If you dig deep enough and find the right sources you could say that for almost every corner of Europe :D , well probably except the far north.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you dig deep enough and find the right sources you could say that for almost every corner of Europe :D , well probably except the far north.

Makes for interesting study! of course just about every corner of Europe has been involved with the UK at some time or another. We owned parts of France at one time, have been at war with just about everyone, those we haven't fought we've fought with as allies. The far north we sent explorers (quite a fewactually) to, the far south too.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Makes for interesting study! of course just about every corner of Europe has been involved with the UK at some time or another. We owned parts of France at one time, have been at war with just about everyone, those we haven't fought we've fought with as allies. The far north we sent explorers (quite a fewactually) to, the far south too.
Yeah, but you guys still like soccer. Inexplicable, really. I'm sure it's some deep rooted, European gestalt. ;)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Mate, we invented soccer, and rugby, tennis, snooker, cricket, rounders, netball, golf, badminton, squash, shin kicking and baseball!
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ot...sport-was-invented-in-Surrey-not-America.html
LOL... shin kicking. I'm good at that one! :D We invented American Gladiators, volleyball and basketball. And Magic the Gathering. And Dungeons and Dragons! :D Oh... nevermind. You win. But soccer is still half a sport for kids who have no hand/eye coordination but still want to get some exercise. :D

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
The very best, very greatest sport/game of any that could be bestowed on any country was bestowed on the American continent before there was a United States, or even European colonies, and, in later years, refined to become lacrosse, called baggataway by natives from Maine to the Mississipi-God's Game,
$hit5ue1.jpg

Nephilim?
$anu11_04.jpg
:lfao:

Latest Discussions