The Monster Drills & KOs of Nayo Inoue

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
David Christian (The Modern Martial Artist) produces some of the best technique breakdowns out there. I recommend all of his YouTube videos and also his books.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My guess is that most TMA striking systems will find good examples of their techniques or technique concepts from this video. They even mentioned something that Kung Fu Wang brought up in the past but want didn't get much positive feedback on it. The difference is one was a demo of concept and the other was done through actual application.

After posting my own videos in Martial Talk, I've come to the harsh reality that sparring or fighting videos are better to describe application of a concept than using a demo. Demos are good for understanding concept, but it's not always easy to see applications from demos.

There is also risk that the demo may get the concept correct but the application used for the demo is incorrect.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The hook punch can be the most important punching tool in your toolbox. You can use it to

- strike.
- downward parry and open your opponent's guard.
- grab.
- knock down your opponent's jab/cross.

The "hook punch, uppercut" combo is an excellent combo. You can use your hook punch to knock down your opponent's guard (hook punch = downward parry), you can then finish with an uppercut, hook, overhead, jab, or cross.

So, the hook punch is a "door opening" move. It's an excellent tool to be used in fighting. For some unknown reason, the hook punch is not emphasized in some MA systems that I don't know why. But in the northern CMA system, the hook punch is heavily used in combat.

Last edited:

marvin8

Brown Belt
Reaction score
My guess is that most TMA striking systems will find good examples of their techniques or technique concepts from this video. They even mentioned something that Kung Fu Wang brought up in the past but want didn't get much positive feedback on it. The difference is one was a demo of concept and the other was done through actual application.
The Inoue drill is different in concept and mechanics to KFW's. Some differences...

1. the feeder's movement (e.g., shoulders, weight shift).
2. timing
3. using opponent's momentum (force)
4. whole body power
5. number of beats

After posting my own videos in Martial Talk, I've come to the harsh reality that sparring or fighting videos are better to describe application of a concept than using a demo. Demos are good for understanding concept, but it's not always easy to see applications from demos.

There is also risk that the demo may get the concept correct but the application used for the demo is incorrect.
Good demos account for the attacker feinting, retracting their punches, moving, distance, timing and position. If the demonstrator shows the concepts and techniques applied in a fight, the viewer doesn't have to consider whether they work.

A couple fight clips similar to an OP concept...

In Davis vs Patera, Davis...

1. steps on the line to draw the jab.
2. rotates to the left and blocks jab.
3. rotates to the right, shifts weight to back foot and elbow blocks straight right.
4. rotates to the left, shifts weight to front foot and issues right hand.

8Pt6a5M.gif

In Charlo vs Williams...

9FiQ2rm.gif

Latest Discussions