the last samurai

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I really enjoyed the movie for the movies sake. As for portraying samurai accurately, nah. Keep in mind that the samurai were an elite group of individuals within their society (to include a standing law which allowed them to decapitate any commoner whom they felt had not been deferential enough to the samurai. The only person the samurai had to justify the beheading to was the Daimyo to whom the commoner owed allegiance). The final battle scene was (I believe) based on a true battle which did indeed take place in 1877 only the numbers were reversed. 3000 men armed with fire arms decimated a MUCH larger force of samurai...but then what kind of heroic last stand would that have been for our heroes. Like I said at the beginning of the post, I enjoyed the movie for the sake of entertainment and have even watched it more than once.

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I really enjoyed it. Although I respect Tom Cruise as an actor, I've never been crazy about the roles he's played necessarily. When the movie first came out, I was rolling my eyes about another star vehicle. But he did a very good job, and the other actors shone through as well.

Very nice.

OP
S

Shinzu

it was very well planned out, and the sword work was excellent. it wasn't overly violent but definitely not boring also. the part where the ninjas attacked was excellent!!

OP
M

MisterMike

Yes it was! I even saw one with a large shell on his back. :p

OP
M

MisterMike

Actually, I did think it was a great film. I was glad to see some interest for the Samurai out of Hollywood. Anyone have the Lone Wolf and Cub movies? I'm probably gonna try some of those next.

OP
B

Baytor

I really liked the last samurai. I was impressed with Tom Cruise as well...he didn't seem like how he is in almost every other movie.

Is "Shogun Assassin" a Lone wolf and cub movie...I thought it was. What other ones are there?

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Last Samurai was great, I bought it the day it came out. Like Letch said, it wasn't 100% accurate. If I'm not mistaken, the real "Katsumoto" (sp?) wasn't the emperor's teacher, he was the shogun that the emperor deposed. Anyway, good movie.

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I loved it! :samurai: It was a beautiful movie, violent but very moving and with an important message. A must see for anyone interested in Martial Arts!

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Let me toss in my two coins, IMHO The Last Samurai was a really good flick. I really enjoyed it! :asian:

And while on this genre of movies what about the Kill Bill series from Quentin Tarantino? Now that, like most of his movies was some good stuff... :ultracool

Latest Discussions