The Kenponet

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have not checked out KenpoNet in a couple of weeks due to work. I cannot believe this stuff.

Gender bias and homophobic responses aside, can't they think of a more articulate and maybe even more impactful insult, sans cursing, or junior high school name calling?

Only an ignorant man (not to be confused with someone's education level) has to result to name calling to express his opinions. It would appear that insults are being traded that would never be spoken directly to the person.

Who, other than me, has heard the story of Mr. Parker getting on a plane and flying into Dallas when he heard what was being said about him and Kenpo by some martial artists from another system and country?

It is a small world guys, and who knows who will show up on their doorsteps. It is pretty sad when it gets to the name calling point, the next step is actually physical threats. Lord help us, can you say Jerry Springer and Kenpo in the same breath ... I sure hope not.

Wes Idol

Green Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dun Ringill
What did you think you were going to solve

If so many friends, family members and private students of Ed Parker Sr. contridict what one man is claiming as history, where is the wrong doing? Surely I could sit back and say nothing, but the history of "our" art means a little more to me than that.

WI, HI
UKS

R

rmcrobertson

Only thing new on Kenponet is the rush of guys posting under, "anonymous," or some made-up name, pretending to be polite while working to start trouble.

There is no cure for it, other than a sudden rush of good manners and courtesy throughout the martial arts world. (HA!)

I prefer to see everybody use their real name for precisely this reason. And the explanations people give for not using their real name strike me as utterly bogus. I figure, if you can't say it at your home school, you probably need to a) keep your mouth shut, b) find another school--except in very rare instances.

But--it's hopeless. The wave's presently rollin' in; it'll roll back out.

OP
G

Guiseppe Betri

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Wes Idol-

With all the bogus claims to the highest ranks of black belt, how did you decide upon questioning Ron Chapel? If you are totally and completely concerned with history of the Art, it seems as if there are several others you could have thought of first. Why are several of the legitimate 9ths refusing to take a 10th, with others in the Art who do not have nearly the time (as these 9ths) taking the 10th as soon as they can get their hands on it? That is a question I have pondered for years and years. Any insight?

Wes Idol

Green Belt
Reaction score
Guiseppe Betri -

Chapel was not the only one. Hell, I contacted Mr. Pick and inquired about his current rank of 10th. Although there are others that simply avoid answering to their claims, Mr. Pick is one that simply told me truths about his experiences with Parker that were verified by friends, family members and private students of Ed Parker Sr.

Regarding others, there are many. I think that some stand out because of their willingness to communicate so much on the internet.

WI, HI
UKS

Dun Ringill

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
In the school I was raised in, I didn't know of a single black belt over 4th degree that felt he had to answer to a 3rd degree black belt. That has got to be the most ridiculous statement Ihave ever read. Are you the keeper of Kenpo's history, because if you are, there is a lot that happened before chow and mitose you are missing. Are you trying to tell me that nobody can be a legitamite 10th degree in this art unless you have verified it through the friends and family plan? C'mon Wes, it's time to stop playing this game and just let it go.

Wes Idol

Green Belt
Reaction score
Dun Ringill,

I invite you to take deep breaths and relax...I was merely answering someone's question.

Personally, if I see an injustice, I'm willing to get some mud on my shirt to help put the problem in check. This does not make me anything more than willing. If your willingness is towards staying on the sidelines and keeping clean, you are not wrong, just different.

WI, HI
UKS

Dun Ringill

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Wes Idol

Personally, if I see an injustice, I'm willing to get some mud on my shirt to help put the problem in check. This does not make me anything more than willing. If your willingness is towards staying on the sidelines and keeping clean, you are not wrong, just different.

WI, HI
UKS [/B]

You saw an injustice with Ron Chapel's promotion to 10th degree but Mike Pick's promotion to 10th degree was okay? C'mon Wes, you are reaching here. I have never heard of any 9th or 10th degree that was a personal student of Ed Parker back any of your claims. That is the whole situation, every fact and claim that you are supporting comes from word of mouth. You were never there. I'm sure you are very adept at history but this is something that is kind of over your head. Unless you can answer "yes" to these two questions:

1--Were you a personal student of Ed Parker?

2--Were you involved in kenpo (or martial arts) in the 1960's?

Can you answer yes to either or both of these questions?

I can.

Salute

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
sorry, I'd like to interject a question. Are you saying a person should not be elligable for 10nth unless he trained in the 60s? If so, does that mean someone who started in 69 is more valid than someone who started in 1970? I'm just askin'.

P

ProfessorKenpo

You saw an injustice with Ron Chapel's promotion to 10th degree but Mike Pick's promotion to 10th degree was okay? C'mon Wes, you are reaching here. I have never heard of any 9th or 10th degree that was a personal student of Ed Parker back any of your claims. That is the whole situation, every fact and claim that you are supporting comes from word of mouth. You were never there. I'm sure you are very adept at history but this is something that is kind of over your head. Unless you can answer "yes" to these two questions:

1--Were you a personal student of Ed Parker?

2--Were you involved in kenpo (or martial arts) in the 1960's?

Can you answer yes to either or both of these questions?

I can.

Salute

Interesting, Dun Ringill is actually a monolith in Scotland. I knew it was an alias but couldn't tag exactly what it was.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

Wes Idol

Green Belt
Reaction score
Dun Ringill -

I never said I had a problem with what rank Ron Chapel has decided to wear...you did.

Seeing that you have found comfort in referring to me by my first name, which is interesting as you and I have never met, this might be a good opportunity to introduce one another.

I've been in Ed Parker's American Kenpo since 1986. My two main instructors have been Albert Cornejo (1986-1992) and Bryan Hawkins (1992-present). Within that time I have concurrently trained at Ed Parker's West LA studio, privately with Frank Trejo (as one of his fighters), at the home of Larry Tatum and at the home of Mike Pick. I hold a 3rd degree Black Belt under Bryan Hawkins, which I earned on October 27, 2000. My other Martial studies included time at Benny Urquidez' "Jet Center," Boxing under Jim Tunney (Gene Tunney's Grandson), Taekwondo training under Robert Lennon (the first non Korean to be invited to the Kukkiwan instructor's camp in Seoul, Korea), FMA training with Innosanto trained players as well as a variety of different practitioners over the years from a variety of systems that can be found in Los Angeles.

Now that you know something about me, I respectfully invite you to share some of your background, and please include where you currently train...and who you train under?

Respectfully,

WI, HI
UKS

Dun Ringill

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
That was an impressive resume, kudos to you and your training I hope it is going well for you. As for me, I started in Hawaii in 1959 and when I moved to the mainland I began instruction under Senior Grandmaster Parker where I remained until his untimely death in 1990. I am a certain level in my training where I cannot pick up the phone book and find an instructor at my level. but that is all I wish to share about my resume. Wes, I thought we could have a friendly conversation, please don't bring experience and "time on the mat" into this. At least we can agree on one thing, that the kenponet has gone completely downhill because of the disrespectful attitudes of the majority of the posters.

Salute

P

ProfessorKenpo

That was an impressive resume, kudos to you and your training I hope it is going well for you. As for me, I started in Hawaii in 1959 and when I moved to the mainland I began instruction under Senior Grandmaster Parker where I remained until his untimely death in 1990. I am a certain level in my training where I cannot pick up the phone book and find an instructor at my level. but that is all I wish to share about my resume. Wes, I thought we could have a friendly conversation, please don't bring experience and "time on the mat" into this. At least we can agree on one thing, that the kenponet has gone completely downhill because of the disrespectful attitudes of the majority of the posters.

Salute

Interesting, you said you would be teaching at the Homecoming in Pasadena and I was curious if you weren't on the list of instructors?

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

Wes Idol

Green Belt
Reaction score
Mr. Ringill,

I appreciate you taking the time to share some of your path with me. Certainly I do not mean "time on the mat" as anything more than just getting to know one another. Being that this art is a common denominator, I assumed that conversation regarding our experience is a sound place of interest when introducing each other.

My I ask when you started with Mr. Parker? I'm interested in which school you trained at. Training with Parker until 1990 might have had you crossing paths with many that I know.

Respectfully,

WI, HI
UKS

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Robert: Are you going to vote for me to get the KenpoNet Troll Award -- or do I have to really push the 11th and 12th degree thing again. Hmmmm, maybe I could suggest making ground grappling a requirement for 11th Degree.

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Robert is Satan? Yeowww... He said it ... I respect him, and therefore believe him... But now I'm looking for a new job. :lol:

OldFatKenpoka is a stuck record? Yeowww ... SGM Parker put a cap on your art at 10th. Damn! I wish I should apply for the position.

Wes came back with the usual one sided inanity? Yeowww ...
And after he voluntarily left? I guess he just doesn't get enough of being laughed at.

Dun is now under fire to some degree because he chooses not to share information with Wes and company ... Same old story, but a new target. :rolleyes:

Some things just never seem to change... :shrug:

Damn... I keep forgetting that I'm not American Kenpo and most of these salacious little things, Robert excluded, are amusing to most everyone else. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Well, except for Robert!

His plucky and insightful posts leave me no doubt that he is Satanic! :lol: Just kidding old friend. :lol:

Saintly Uncle Dan