The Karate Kid Movies

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Look, all of us train in one or more arts. My question is this: Karate Kid trilogy, did you like it or hate it. I really enjoy the aspects of the "Moral" teachings of Myagi. Very kind, forgiving, generous, never asked for anything in return. He tried to pass this along as every good instructor does. Notice I didn't say "Teacher", I believe that it all goes with anyone can learn a side kick or shoulder throw.....however are they decent human beings? The same is held in the difference between instructor and student. I can teach all the Kodokan Judo I want, however......if I am not passionate about my students doing the best they can then I am not an instructor, therefore I will not continue to learn and grow myself.

I think, in the end that the relationship between instructor and student went full circle by the end of the 3rd one. I just got done watching the second one so I was just kind of pondering and would like to know everyone else's feedback if I may. I know there are a lot of instructors on the board. I don't care what style, it is all about "Presence of mind" and "Humility". And that works both ways or not at all.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I liked it! There's lots to criticize, but it presented the art in a new way, and with an Okinawan emphasis. Of course compromises were made to make it popular, but I think the trilogy is a new plus.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I really enjoyed them and today I have a better understanding ot the movies than when first saw them.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Look, all of us train in one or more arts. My question is this: Karate Kid trilogy, did you like it or hate it. I really enjoy the aspects of the "Moral" teachings of Myagi. Very kind, forgiving, generous, never asked for anything in return. He tried to pass this along as every good instructor does. Notice I didn't say "Teacher", I believe that it all goes with anyone can learn a side kick or shoulder throw.....however are they decent human beings? The same is held in the difference between instructor and student. I can teach all the Kodokan Judo I want, however......if I am not passionate about my students doing the best they can then I am not an instructor, therefore I will not continue to learn and grow myself.

I think, in the end that the relationship between instructor and student went full circle by the end of the 3rd one. I just got done watching the second one so I was just kind of pondering and would like to know everyone else's feedback if I may. I know there are a lot of instructors on the board. I don't care what style, it is all about "Presence of mind" and "Humility". And that works both ways or not at all.
I liked it. As Arnisador said it presented the art in a new way. It also gave kids a good way to feel better about themselves, particularly those who are bullied by those bigger and stronger than them. It showed that you don't have to take it. You don't always have to run. That there are ways to keep from getting hurt when you can't run. It also showed how you will gain the most important respect of all. SELF-respect.
Saying that Miyagi didn't ask for anything is incorrect however; using the alternate method of teaching he got his house, cars, landscaping work all done. Daniel worked towards his lessons and was learning at the same time. Miyagi hints that is the way his father taught him, the basics. Once Daniel had the katas down then he advanced his teachings.
True, promoting him to black belt in those two short months is unrealistic but I like to think that Myagi gave him the "belt" as a temporary measure just so that Daniel could compete in the tournament which would complete their bargain with the Cobra-Kai's and to show Daniel what he could do when he believed in himself.
The film(s) were designed to be a "Rocky" for the younger generation. The writer, Robert Mark Kamen is a long time Martial Artist and wanted to use Karate to showcase the art(s) as a means to give back what he had gotten from them.
His writing is excellent I think. Here are a couple of quotes which (like Terry) means more today than when I first heard them.
Daniel: Hey - you ever get into fights when you were a kid?
Miyagi: Huh - plenty.
Daniel: Yeah, but it wasn't like the problem I have, right?
Miyagi: Why? Fighting fighting. Same same.
Daniel: Yeah, but you knew karate.
Miyagi: Someone always know more.
Daniel: You mean there were times when you were scared to fight?
Miyagi: Always scare. Miyagi hate fighting.
Daniel: Yeah, but you like karate.
Miyagi: So?
Daniel: So, karate's fighting. You train to fight.
Miyagi: That what you think?
Daniel: [pondering] No.
Miyagi: Then why train?
Daniel: [thinks] So I won't have to fight.
Miyagi: [laughs] Miyagi have hope for you.
Miyagi: Your friend, all karate student, eh?
Daniel: Friend? Oh, yeah, those guys.
Miyagi: Problem: attitude.
Daniel: No the problem is, I'm getting my *** kicked every other day, that's the problem.
Miyagi: Hai, because boys have bad attitude. Karate for defense only.
Daniel: That's not what these guys are taught.
Miyagi: Hai - can see. No such thing as bad student, only bad teacher. Teacher say, student do.
Daniel: Oh, great, that solves everything for me. I'll just go down to the school and straighten it out with the teacher, no problem.
Miyagi: Now use head for something other than target.
If you haven't bought the DVD, get the "Special Edition" which has interviews with the cast and crew, along with some nice bonuses.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Loved the first one, not so hot for the others.

In our school we define an Instructor as 'someone who shows you how to do something' and a Teacher as 'someone who gives you knowledge',

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I really like the first Karate Kid.

However, I have to say that I might have had to kick Daniel-san's ***, too. He pretty much asks for it several times in the movie :)

Sweep the leg, Johnny!!

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In common with many, I thought that the first Karate Kid was a great film that put a lot of decent core MA philosophy in an easily digested format.

Because it had to be diluted for the broad audience it's drawn a lot of criticism for espousing what people have derided as half-baked, home-spun, fortune-cookie philosophy. That, I think, has been very unfair to the film for, if you're trying to put across a serious subject in bite-sized, entertainment wrapped, chunks, what else can you do?

Some of Miagi Sensei's one-liners, half-Americanese/half-Zen are classics (in fact I used one myself right here at MT the other night :D).

The second film I don't really recall as we've never been offered an un-censored version over here and I haven't watched it on principle (caught it once one Christmas when I was at a friends house for dinner. Likewise I don't think I've ever seen III either.

I've seen IV several times tho', despite it probably being the low point in some ways ... I wonder if anyone can guess why I've seen that one a few times :lol:.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In common with many, I thought that the first Karate Kid was a great film that put a lot of decent core MA philosophy in an easily digested format.

Because it had to be diluted for the broad audience it's drawn a lot of criticism for espousing what people have derided as half-baked, home-spun, fortune-cookie philosophy. That, I think, has been very unfair to the film for, if you're trying to put across a serious subject in bite-sized, entertainment wrapped, chunks, what else can you do?

Some of Miagi Sensei's one-liners, half-Americanese/half-Zen are classics (in fact I used one myself right here at MT the other night :D).

The second film I don't really recall as we've never been offered an un-censored version over here and I haven't watched it on principle (caught it once one Christmas when I was at a friends house for dinner. Likewise I don't think I've ever seen III either.

I've seen IV several times tho', despite it probably being the low point in some ways ... I wonder if anyone can guess why I've seen that one a few times :lol:.

Umm... some Swank girl I presume?

Watching the (original) film last week, I thought Miyagi's lines were well written. Morita said he enjoyed them. He also has NO idea where that gravely Miyagi voice came from, I think he must've gotten it off of Toshiro Mufune at some point in his memory. BTW Mufune was considered first choice for the role of Miyagi but I think he was either unavailable or they looked around a bit more and found Morita, glad they chose him. Mufune is a great great actor but probably TOO serious (IMO) for the role of Miyagi to which Morita played perfectly.
The second film I think was hastily written, to ride on the success of the first film, but at least was given more thought than the third (which I probably only watched once). I don't even recall ever having watched the fourth. I think I was on my anti-sequel phase at the time.
At least it kept a well liked Japanese actor working after his brief but wonderful stint on Happy Days. Anyone remember Arnold teaching Karate episode?

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The first one was a classic. I didn't see K2 until many years later, but then I really enjoyed it - Pete Cetera theme song and all. Like others have said, K3 rounded the story nicely, and showed why Daniel-san needed his butt kicked.

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

What "censored" version are you talking about -- what was censored?

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know there are a lot of instructors on the board. I don't care what style, it is all about "Presence of mind" and "Humility". And that works both ways or not at all.

DavidCC said:
In our school we define an Instructor as 'someone who shows you how to do something' and a Teacher as 'someone who gives you knowledge'
That's a pretty good distinction, but think I'd go further and say a teacher is someone who leads you to the door, but then steps back to let the student walk through (or not) and discover the world for themselves. And yes, humility and presence of mind are definitely required, imho.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Did I like them? Yes.

Do I think that they did some damage to the MA community? Yes. The movies - especially the first one - led far too many people to believe that they could learn Karate (or some other MA) quickly and easily, through household chores... and I had students within that era (I started instructing around 1990) who didn't understand why I wasn't teaching them the same way, or as quickly.

Still, they presented Karate in an accessible fashion - different from many other movies in which MAs were not available to anyone not Asian.

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Umm... some Swank girl I presume?

A little too obvious to win a prize I suppose - then again, recall that she had some growing to do so I count her in my 'Predictions Proven to be Correct" column with regard to somewhat gawky 'teens who leave the Ugly Duckling phase well behind.

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What "censored" version are you talking about -- what was censored?

Sadly, British TV and video is heavily censored when it comes to the use of martial arts and martial arts weapons, especially the weapons. It would seem that our government has ever had a bee in it's bonnet about that, so I suppose it's latest drive to get rid of katana's should come as no surprise.

I was a big fan of Cynthia Rothrock movies many years ago but have always regretted not keeping my first purchases of her videos as subsequent releases are so heavily chopped they're not worth the time. After all, a martial arts flick with most of the martial arts taken out is just a terrible story with bad dialogue :lol:.

OP
matt.m

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Did I like them? Yes.

Do I think that they did some damage to the MA community? Yes. The movies - especially the first one - led far too many people to believe that they could learn Karate (or some other MA) quickly and easily, through household chores... and I had students within that era (I started instructing around 1990) who didn't understand why I wasn't teaching them the same way, or as quickly.

Still, they presented Karate in an accessible fashion - different from many other movies in which MAs were not available to anyone not Asian.

I like your point of view. But it didn't start with "The Karate Kid", It was Bruce Lee, then Seagal and Van Damme, now its all the cartoons and Jet Li and Jason Stratham.

The circle will always continue, it is our job as instructors to instructor new ones that are wide eyed with curiousity correctly. Late GGM Park, the founder of Moo Sul kwan was asked the following by my father in 1973......"Is Bruce Lee really that good?" GGM Park answered "Good technique, very fast, certainly good for business."

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I didn't like them, ANY of them...

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score
i enjoyed all of them and myagi showed more than kicks and punches which is what i liked about it. he put the wisdom and moral into martial arts too.:ninja:

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As a TMA practitioner, I certainly enjoyed the fact that those Karate Kid movies gave some exposure to Karate, and not the usual Gung Fu movies that came out of Hong Kong. Nothing wrong with the Gung Fu flicks; it's just that traditional Karate never got quite the exposure.

I know for certain, that the movies did help generate more interest in Karate amongst the kids who watched it, and yes, even the parents who watched it along with their kids.

It was also nice to see that some nerdy kid (actually a full grown man in the way of Ralph Macchio), was able to learn Karate, and beat the big bad guy. Heart warming, to say the least.

Where I frown upon the movies, though, is that they did fill some kids' heads with delusions of grandeur, that they suddenly thought that by doing common household chores, they could somehow defeat the big bully in school. Come on now...

Also, where I crinkled my nose, is how the character of Daniel LaRusso seemed to regress horribly from the second movie to the third. In the second movie, he had kicked the butt of one seriously bad dude (Chozen), who was the Golden Boy of Sato's Karate empire.

In the third movie, he was getting his butt kicked badly by the bad boy "Mike," and seemed to be a helpless whelp. Sorry, but he didn't seem nearly as tough as Chozen did...

Overall? I think it was a very positive thing for the martial arts. The TMA needs decent exposure, and even though we may scoff at some of the things in the movies, none of us can argue the fact that the movies did generate some more interest.

As long as people actually set foot in our dojo, I know that I have a pretty good chance of getting them to sign up for classes. If a franchise of movies can bring more people into that doorway, then I'll simply be grateful for such favors. Really!

Latest Discussions