the Hobbit trailer...

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Lots of Gandalf scenes, looks like they added in the issues with the Necromancer to the Hobbit timeline, appropriate to linking it to the LOTR movies.

And they made the dwarves not look like complete morons, which is rather difficult given the source material.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Frodo? FFS, can we just follow the book, and not put in a lot of extraneous crap?!
This is one of those movies that I know I will see, and suspect I will like, but, just can't be excited about.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Frodo? FFS, can we just follow the book, and not put in a lot of extraneous crap?!
This is one of those movies that I know I will see, and suspect I will like, but, just can't be excited about.

Well, it makes sense to link the movies, and the whole thing was a retrospective written into the Red Book anyway.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I like that they added in some of the background material. Tolkien built the story organically and revised the Hobbit several times in order to make the connection to the LOTR stronger. A movie probably needs to do this more because some of the viewers out there will not have read the books.

Scott T

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I like that they added in some of the background material. Tolkien built the story organically and revised the Hobbit several times in order to make the connection to the LOTR stronger. A movie probably needs to do this more because some of the viewers out there will not have read the books.
And they are what we like to call Neanderthals. ;)

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's a given I'll pick it apart for accuracy, 'cause I do that, but I will watch it and I will like it. It's a given. Now, how long before the Silmarillian? :uhyeah:

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's a given I'll pick it apart for accuracy, 'cause I do that, but I will watch it and I will like it. It's a given. Now, how long before the Silmarillian? :uhyeah:

That's going to be an awesome trilogy!

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was not impressed. The dwarfs are turned into a joke it seems.

The Silmirillion must never be filmed, it can only be screwed up.

Rank and Bass did it best. No way Jackson could top that. ;)

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have looked forward to a full fledged movie on The Hobbit for about 34 years now! I for one am excited about the movie and particularly am looking forward to seeing what they do with Smaug!

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rank and Bass did it best. No way Jackson could top that. ;)
If you're referring to that cartoon disaster from the 70's, that was the most disappointing movie experience I've ever had, dispite some serious contenders.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I remember of the Hobbit, the dwarves had lived lives that were not based on being warriors. It seemed that they left the shire without weapons, until they found the trolls treasure cave. Here, they seem like any warrior dwarf and Thorin seems menacing rather than driven.

Latest Discussions