The Flow Drill

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, for me using the knife is about starting with a comfortable range--it's not about knife-fighting. For me it's more about how the live hand is controlling and how the body is moving.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Yes, for me using the knife is about starting with a comfortable range--it's not about knife-fighting. For me it's more about how the live hand is controlling and how the body is moving.
So, like the stick in conceptual arts, the knife starts out or stays a training tool first to develop technical skill? That is how I view it for the most part. Same with disarms: they start out as artistic curriculum requirements and later help to teach the gross and fine motor skills to improve or instruct joint locks.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For me, the biggest interest in disarms is how they translate to empty-hand vs. stick situations, which I think is very similar to what you're saying.

OP
Guro Harold

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
I explain that this is most definitely a drill and not knife fighting in any manner.
I will even show the student that it is easy to counter, by a more skilled opponent. I just start with the knife to get the basic cutting motion. Then I move back to the stick, and train that for a long time before moving to the knife for aything serious.

Good Points though.
:asian:

Hi Rich,

Great points. I was also just sharing my own personal reservations about showing knife techniques due to my increased knowledge of the knife, hearing of occasions when a FMA student have used the knife with lethal force, and recently that I had teens in my class and want to be careful of what I teach them.

By the way everyone, this drill also works well by substituting the defensive knife with the kubaton and ASP (closed, use a stick for open, your partner will thank you).

For the ASP, you can go from closed to open between the opponent's strikes.

Palusut

mcjon77

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just learned flow drill last week (yes, I'm that new to Modern Arnis). I was wondering why strikes #5 and #12 were removed from the drill., and whether they are reintroduced at a later date. Also, am I correct in saying that the flow drill is essentially the attacker coming at the defender with a #1, #2, #3 and #4 strikes (and sometimes #5 and #12) and the defender is basiclly just countering with banda y banda? Even when countering a #12 with an umbrella, can't an umbrella be thought of as a banda y banda at a different angle?

Just Wondering,

Jon

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mcjon77 said:
Hi all,

I just learned flow drill last week (yes, I'm that new to Modern Arnis). I was wondering why strikes #5 and #12 were removed from the drill., and whether they are reintroduced at a later date. Also, am I correct in saying that the flow drill is essentially the attacker coming at the defender with a #1, #2, #3 and #4 strikes (and sometimes #5 and #12) and the defender is basiclly just countering with banda y banda? Even when countering a #12 with an umbrella, can't an umbrella be thought of as a banda y banda at a different angle?

Just Wondering,

Jon

Jon,

The strikes are 1 and 2 and then 9 and 8.

As to the removal of 5 and 12. GM Remy would sometime remove things to help people learn. As they would learn later he would say and you can also do this, and add in 5 and 12 or any other strike. The concept is that after learnign and doing this drill one should be able to use this against all striking angles.

Just my thoughts and opinions on this subject.

:asian:

OP
Guro Harold

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OP
Guro Harold

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dan Anderson said:
What page? I go blind trying to follow something like that without pictures.

Yours,
Dan Anderson
Hi Dan,

It can be found in Chapter 6. The drill with sticks can be found starting on page 84.

Best regards,

Harold

OP
Guro Harold

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dan Anderson said:
Harold,

Thank you , my son.

Yours,
Dan
At last, the mystery has been solved. Our similar features have puzzled me for the last several years!!! :rofl:

Latest Discussions