The fear of getting hit

P

pknox

50 minutes isn't long? In that kind of pain? :eek:

As for 5 hours, oh God.

My wife's first was I believe 1 and a 1/2 hours (I was busy just taking it all in, so I wasn't really watching the clock), and #'s 2 and 3/4 (twins) were both c-section, so they didn't take nearly as long as the first.

Personally, from what I saw her go through (with drugs, nonetheless) I couldn't, wouldn't, and am glad I will never have to do that for even five minutes, never less 50. God bless ya.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Originally posted by pknox
Whether or not you believe that "90% of fights end up on the ground" line, I think an increased pain tolerance is a real reason to study it.

Huh? Pain tolerance is the reason to study groundfighting?

I think that those who want well rounded self defense should practice some form of ground fighting regardless of how much pain tolerance.

Bottomline, an attacker may not care if a certain attack hurts.

- Ceicei

P

pknox

Originally posted by Ceicei
Huh? Pain tolerance is the reason to study groundfighting?

I think that those who want well rounded self defense should practice some form of ground fighting regardless of how much pain tolerance.

Bottomline, an attacker may not care if a certain attack hurts.

- Ceicei

Oh absolutely. I didn't mean to say it was "the" reason, just "a" reason. I started in a primarily punch/kick art (Shaolin Kempo), and when I moved to judo, I realized my pain tolerance wasn't nearly as highly developed as I thought. My instructor told me that the tolerance would come with training. It has actually been pretty valuable to me -- if I'm trying to counter a joint lock now, I have at least a fighting chance, as I'll be able to stand the pain for more than a second or so -- maybe enough time to do something to counter. There are many other reasons to study grappling of course, as you said.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Quote from a Dr. on some radio show:

DR. JAMES BALLENGER: Well, one of the things that is very nice over the last 20 years, very specific and very effective treatments have evolved, both of a medication nature and of a cognitive behavioral nature. The medicines that work don't work in each one of these syndromes but, interestingly, they do work in multiples of them. They're the antidepressants and some of the benzodiazepines work to normalize the anxiety response. Some of the cognitive behavioral therapy you saw a little bit on the tape are all based on an idea that all our mothers taught us, if we fall off a horse we'll be afraid if we don't get back on the horse, but if we do we'll get used to it very rapidly if we do it again and again. So people are exposed to what they're afraid of gradually. And if that's a fear of a bridge, then they get closer and closer to the bridge and often they go across it. If it's they're frightened of their own dizziness symptoms or heart racing, then they're exposed to that.
GARRICK UTLEY: And that does work, even in the extreme case such as fear of snakes.
DR. JAMES BALLENGER: Oh, absolutely. The snake phobia is something that actually can be treated quite well. And some people have terrible trouble with it, some people don't ever go on a hike with their kids because they're afraid that they might encounter a snake. That can be treated in an afternoon.

Also, check out this link for some info on phobia’s:

http://www.psych.org/public_info/phobias.cfm

That’s the extent of what I can find online. I have read books and studies on the subject, university studies, etc., years ago. Now I know some of you didn’t buy my last post, which is fine with me. Just remember that my belief that fear, and the human response to fear is a conditioned response is not just my own opinion; it is shared by many in the scientific community.

So, I’ll say again that I believe that fear of getting hit is a conditioned response. Now, logically we know that you can get hurt from getting hit. So, some people may never lose that fear because of that fact. However, you can recondition your response to that fear, and you can do this gradually in the training hall. I don’t believe that you have to take years upon years to recondition your response, either. Through my experience, most people can do it in a few lessons to a few months.

But the fact that you CAN recondition your response to any fear is what is most important to realize.

:cool:

K

kenpo2dabone

One of the most important things I can think of in treating a fear of something is to confront it. It is easier to confront something if you have something you believe will aid you in overcoming it. For instance (far fetched but I think you will get my point) one might be afraid of walking through the jungle in the middle of the night for fear of getting attacked but wild animals. However, if you give them a gun they will be less aprehensive of the strole through the jungle. The gun is a real defense against potential attacks. The fear is still there but it is lessened enough for rational thought and not panic. So I feel that the very first thing that should be done to lesson ones fear of getting hit is give them a weapon against it, a block for instance. Build the persons confidence in the block but let them know that it is not a garrantee that they won't get hit. It just lessons the odds some. just like giving our would be jungle walker a gun. It is no garrantee but it lessons the odds. Confidence can be built from there.

Salute,
Mike Miller UKF

M

Mormegil

Just my self analysis on the fear of getting hit. No real suggestions.

I've only been sparring for a few months (about 5 minutes per class). I've started going to the "sparring class" with about 45 mins (2nd one yesterday), and already I've gotten a little better over my fear of being hit.

Already at this point, I don't really mind or fear getting hit by single punches (in the face), but what does make me freak out is getting "wailed" on. When it's 3 or 4 punch combo flying at my face, I tend to freak out / freeze and lean too far back in a fade, which just exposes my chin and makes things worse.

I've very uncomfortable not being in control of myself (which is why I never get really drunk). I think I feel out of control when a lot of punches are headed at me, since I can't quite deal with it (guess I should just cover up). But I can't deal with it because I'm feeling out of control (viscious cycle). I guess I'll have to get use to being combo'd (with my guard up hopefully) like I did on single hits.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here is a hard core way of overcoming the problem. I am sure I will be bombarded with objections; so please realize that his might not be for everyone.

Step #1: Sit in quiet meditation, and visualize a slew of punches coming at you. Make it as vivid as you can. Visualize yourself getting "wailed on," falling to the ground, but getting back up again unharmed. [It may work better to have someone, partner or instructor, voice guide you through scenarios of you getting wailed on while you have your eyes close]. If you are doing this correctly, your imagination should be so vivid that you feel that same anxiety when someone does it for real; you should almost want to freeze right then, even though your only visualizing.

#2 Now picture in your head the different ways that you would counter someone bombarding you with combos.

#3 Practice by "slow sparring." Have someone bombard you but in a very slow and controlled manner. You then practice your counters at the same pace. This will help you to experiment with what might work without the danger of actually getting hit if your technique falls short.

#4 Once you have a few counters that work really well in place, go back to visualizing/meditation. Repeat #1, except this time instead of falling to the ground and getting back up unharmed, you are successfully countering the persons technique. Practice all the counters in your head over and over again.

#5 Now, with a trusted partner, stand with you hands behind your back, with a mouth guard, head gear, and a cup. Your partner is going to punch and kick at your head, legs, and body as fast and as hard as he can, but he won't actually touch you. He will practice bombarding you in the same way that makes you feeze. You will practice dealing with your feelings. Your are to get to a point where you are not flinching, and you are visualizing your counters as he is attacking you.

#6 Once you are successful w/ #5, repeat #5, except this time your partner is actually going to make contact. Light at first. This should build however to where you feel his strikes. He should have pads on, by the way. He shouldn't strike as hard as he can to invoke injury, but it should sting. You should feel it. Yet, you should be practicing your visualizing of counters, and making your body "harder" so that his strikes will sting less.

#7 When you no longer feel like freezing after #6, take a break, then do it again. Eccept this time bind your hands behind your back. Now you will have no control, and you will be at the mercy of your partner. You will have to deal with anxiety when you are not in control over the situation. Still visualize making your body "hard", and still visualize your counters.

#8 Now, go back to "slow sparring," where he practices his "bombarding" on you. Except this time, speed it up gradually. Tell your partner that 1 is slow sparring speed, and 10 is full out as fast as he can go. Start with 1. Then after 2 minutes or so, go to 3. Then 5. Then 7. Then 9. Then all out (10). At this point, you are going all out. He should be attempting to bombard you. Your body/mind should be conditioned at this point were you are now reacting the way that you want to, rather then freezing up. You have just reconditioned your body/mind, and this should maintain for the rest of your days.

So, try the above. Each step might only take 10-20 minutes, so in theory you can cure this in a day. However, rushing it isn't necissary, Quality is more important. You should be comfortable at each step before moving on, but don't get so caught up in each step that you are afraid of failing if you move on too quickly. Just get comfortable, then go on; keep it simple. The longest it should take anyone if they do this strictly is a few weeks. [This is of course provided that the "counters" to this sort of thing are in place already from you system. If they aren't I'd suggest finding a different system or teacher. Regardless, if they aren't you have some research to do, so it might take longer].

Trust me...this works. Have fun. If any of you try this method, let me know how it works for you!

:cool:

OP
Damian Mavis

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Mormegil, I'm assuming you are talking about Muay Thai. If you're sparring Muay Thai just practice peekaboo guard (both hands up tight in contact with your head while you look through the small opening in your arms and shield any kicks with your legs) and take the hits in the corner of the ring. I used to just let my friend throw lots of combos while I stayed stuck in the corner and cover up. It does wonders for your confidence in a barrage of attacks and helps you remain calm and focused while wating for an opening. Hope this drill helps you like it did me.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

M

Mormegil

Not Muay Thai, JKD. But we do a Muay Thai type shields and such. So I'll give that a try.

I also find I'm less likely to get "combo'd" when I'm throwing a combo myself (guess best to keep your opponent on the defensive).

Thanks.