The Existance of chi / ki

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ken JP Stuczynski
Chi IS measurable with scientific equipment. A couple of years ago, they actually discovered electromagnetic energy flowing through the body in specific paths.

"Coincidentally" the paths were identical to the chi meridians in Chinese medicine.

<sarcasm> But of course, it must not have existed before then because no one could PROVE what the Chinese knew for millennia. </sarcasm>

;)

Relax there buddy...I am not trying to say that things don't exist if I don't "see it" or that I won't believe something until Modern Science can "prove it." Remember, I am one of the ones on this thread who believes that Chi exists.

In fact, it seems evident to me that there are a lot of things that eastern and indigenous medicine and healing methods seem to address that western medicine doesn't, and there are a lot of phenomenom that modern science hasn't been able to fully explain.

However, what I do get tired of is stuff like the Chi master who does things like "throwing" a willing student without touching them physically, and then goes on to use the arguement that "Some things western physics will never understand" because they want us to believe that what they are doing is "beyond the physical." This is crap. If the effects are physical, such as the person is being projected accross the room, then these physical effects should be measureable somehow, in a consistant fashion. Even if Modern Science is far behind ancient eastern thought in regards to the subject, that doesn't mean that we should take physical effects on "faith alone."

Even though I believe that they are 2 different subjects, I'll use religion as an example. I believe in God. This is a belief about the metaphysical that cannot be physically proven or disproven. But, now lets say that I believe that a certian minister has been given the gift to perform miracles, and that he can heal peoples illnesses by touching them. I have now crossed the line of "faith" and "metaphysical" into the "physical." If someone can perform miracles, which is a physical result, then we should be able to prove with at least one of these miracles that it at the very least defies Modern Medicine.

See what I am saying? If Chi is only a metaphisical notion that makes people feel better about the world around them, then I can't sit here and try to ask for "scientific proof." But, since people who believe in Chi are not saying that it is just a "belief," but are saying that it is a force that has physical effects, then we should be able to measure or test these effects no matter how limited our understanding is.

Anyways, I am rambling now, but I think you get where I am coming from. I believe in Chi, and I believe that it has been proven, and that we are learning more and more about it every day. Yet, I get tired of "Chi clowns" who claim superhuman powers from Chi, yet refuse to even suggest that there could ever be any physical evidence to back their claims. I know you are not one of these, for the record, so you don't think I am insulting you here. I liked your articles so far, btw Ken. I am just trying to let you know where I am coming from in my post here. Also, do you have any more info you can post about the discovery of electromagnetic energy along Chi Meridians? If that study is correct, do you believe it proves that Chi is electromagnetic, or do you think it could be something else?

:asian:
PAUL

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score

1. I can go through countless everyday examples of how chi seems to defy the laws of physics...

2. I hate quoting myself, but to avoid going into a dissertation to clarify all the arguments for and against chi, seriously -- check out my articles in Martial Talk magazine, especially the first two in the series on "The Reality of Chi" (July & August 2003).

1. For the sake of this discussion, could you post a few examples?
2. Could you also post a link to the article you mentioned? I am having trouble finding it.

Do not think of science as purely Western thought. If I am using a spear to hunt and I use observations to modify and enhance my spear to make it more efficient, I am doing science. Science is human nature.

M

MisterMike

Is Chi something only humans can have? If the same channels could be measured in a dog, would it be tru that dogs have Chi as well?

Or does it take some mental aptitude to have Chi? Do we have to be able to think to turn it on or off when using it for additional power?

If animals do have it, can they access it during a fight-or-flight type scenario?

Just letting my thoughts loose here...

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Originally posted by MisterMike
Is Chi something only humans can have? If the same channels could be measured in a dog, would it be tru that dogs have Chi as well?

Or does it take some mental aptitude to have Chi? Do we have to be able to think to turn it on or off when using it for additional power?

If animals do have it, can they access it during a fight-or-flight type scenario?

Awesome questions! My instructor says that the meridians in dogs have been mapped and accupuncturists can needle their pets. How about that - an eastern veterinarian. I will admit that I have not actually read any information on this. Perhaps someone out there has a little nugget they would like to share...

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
K

Ken JP Stuczynski

Originally posted by PAUL
Relax there buddy...... PAUL

No confrontation intended ... and a good, intellignet, open-minded response.

K

Ken JP Stuczynski

Originally posted by upnorthkyosa
1. For the sake of this discussion, could you post a few examples?
2. Could you also post a link to the article you mentioned? I am having trouble finding it.

Do not think of science as purely Western thought. If I am using a spear to hunt and I use observations to modify and enhance my spear to make it more efficient, I am doing science. Science is human nature.

There is a clear difference between Eaastern and Western scientific method. I can elaborate laetr, but I'm pressed for time right now.

The articles are in the magazine section, but you may have to be a subscriber.

K

Ken JP Stuczynski

Originally posted by MisterMike

Animals use their chi all the time -- like when your cat doesn't want to be picked up.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No confrontation intended ... and a good, intellignet, open-minded response.

Thanks...I wasn't sure if there confrontation or not, but I didn't thank there was.

Hey, when you get a chance, could you answer these:

do you have any more info you can post about the discovery of electromagnetic energy along Chi Meridians? If that study is correct, do you believe it proves that Chi is electromagnetic, or do you think it could be something else?

I wasn't sure if you caught those at the end of my lengthy post. I value your opinion regarding this matter, so you input would be appreciated.
:D

K

Ken JP Stuczynski

Originally posted by PAUL
Thanks...I wasn't sure if there confrontation or not, but I didn't thank there was.

Hey, when you get a chance, could you answer these:

*** do you have any more info you can post about the discovery of electromagnetic energy along Chi Meridians? If that study is correct, do you believe it proves that Chi is electromagnetic, or do you think it could be something else? *** ...

Actually, I believe chi is something far more -- electromagnetism is only a physical phenomenom realted to chi. In otherwords, chi is not measurable, but it's effects in the physical world are.

Embarassing, but I can't find the news article offhand about the meridian measurements, but I remember it was in a mainstream news publication. I usually keep a record of interesting stuf I come across related to such things. I'll keep looking.

Latest Discussions