The cane

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
My point is to start using the tool for it was designed.

Once you get a little comfortable with it you will naturally start to use if as a tool to assist in moving objects and items closer to you or away from your. Begin to do this. This will teach you the leverage of you to the tool to the item. This helps you understand your limitation. Such as would you try to hook a 300 lb 6'3" gorilla type and bring them to you, or would you just bash them up side the head multiple times?

Once you understand your balance and some of the capabilities of the tool, then find a very willing partner who understand what you are going to do and will let you do it. Yes, I let you do it. You have to learn the motions first. Once you get the motions and the techniques you need to then have the person give very limited resistance. Your balance will have to be adjusted next.

I could also recommend find a blind person who is willing to tell you about the sensitivity of their cane and how they use it.

The best way to get useful results from a tool is to understand the attributes of the tool.

Good Luck and Best Wishes
Solid advice, I'm thinkin'.

I might follow Rich's suggestion with maybe the next logical step. Substitute the cane for one of your weapons forms. Just let it flow, looking for discoveries of how the tool in hand might be adapted. Example: I'll sometimes practice my saber form with a cane or shillelagh. Or, the staff form. Interesting ideas pop up. Anyway, works for me.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just bought 2 canemaster cane & their "street techniques" dvd. My issues with these dvd's & ideas are 1) I am only really able to use one hand for the most part due to my disability & most Hapkido techniques (especially with a cane) are 2 handed techniques. 2) I actually NEED the cane to get around right now & it limits my mobility & quickness. Shuey & the other folks I've seen obviously don't NEED a cane to get around.

Thanks to the exchanges I saw here, I ordered - and just received - their self defense manual. There do appear to be one handed techniques and they do mention a purpose of their art is to extent fitness and defense opportunities to the elders and disabled. I'm going to spend some real time with it and perhaps post a review...

Included was a brochure on other products available. I believe some mentioned the author had some disability... at least one such. item appears on their website as well.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks to the exchanges I saw here, I ordered - and just received - their self defense manual. There do appear to be one handed techniques and they do mention a purpose of their art is to extent fitness and defense opportunities to the elders and disabled. I'm going to spend some real time with it and perhaps post a review...

Included was a brochure on other products available. I believe some mentioned the author had some disability... at least one such. item appears on their website as well.

Keep us posted...

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Will do.

I want to sample a dvd as well, and maybe run down for a class after the holiday season. There's apparently a dojo about an hour away that has an accredited cane instructor - would really like to visit there once the Holiday Hysteria abates.....

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Will do.

I want to sample a dvd as well, and maybe run down for a class after the holiday season. There's apparently a dojo about an hour away that has an accredited cane instructor - would really like to visit there once the Holiday Hysteria abates.....

Look to see if there is an upcoming CaneMaster seminar near you..It would be worth it...

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The irony for me is that when I needed my cane to get around, I had significantly less ability to learn to use the cane for SD. Now that I'm healing up & don't use it as often, I have time to "play" with it a bit to work things through.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The irony for me is that when I needed my cane to get around, I had significantly less ability to learn to use the cane for SD. Now that I'm healing up & don't use it as often, I have time to "play" with it a bit to work things through.

But now that you know more about it, the next time (* And let us hope there is no next time *) you will be better off. Also you can help others who are using canes as well to realize the effect of the tool.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Same here--when I got a cane it was differently weighted than the arnis sticks I was used to and with one bad leg it wasn't as easy developing a good feel for the differences. Still, I felt I could make use of it!

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Experimentation is a good thing...

Latest Discussions