the "brazilian kick"

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
lol zdom pokes menacing stick at BJJ ( :

Heheh :) Not exactly.

There are a lot of things I respect about the Gracies and their specialization in groundfighting techniques.

Thunder Foot

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Gotta admit that I wasn't impressed, Does seem to be just a slight variation of the roundhouse, particulary the Taekwondo style of 'low high' where the low is more of a feint....faking a front kick almost and then turning over into the roundhouse. There was also something in the nechnics that made me think he was sacrificing power because of his body position. More of the quad pulling the foot into the kick then getting good hip rotation power

Exactly. I agreee completely. I am an Ex-instructor of TKD, and there is nothing Brazilian about this kick. It has been around for a long period of time, even predating Taekwondo, which popularized it. Its a feint low, high round kick. Its somewhat upsetting to see this new trend of claiming old techniques "new", when they have been around and said martial Artists are simply re-discovering them.

This tutorial, I'm not impressed with at all. Though he is pivoting over, his hip is not behind the kick, thus sacrificing power and snap in the extension.

Latest Discussions