the "brazilian kick"

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Interesting. To me, it just looks like a variation of a Roundhouse kick. I wonder where the Brazilian Kick name came from.

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Brazilian Kick? Unless the Koreans travelled to Brazil to learn this it's common taught in Tae Kwon Do. Nice kick though. Not so sure where the "credit" should be given. Reminds me of the early Gracie marketing campaigns where they claimed to have invented the Triangle Choke and "Clock" Choke. This claim was made when there are Judo / Ju Jitsu texts predating Helio's existence outlining the techniques.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, UM? This is nothing new...it can be called whatever you want to?

Kicks can be call anything today. Very few things can be call new or differant.

Most knowledgable martial artists knows every kicks,strikes has variations too them.

In Shotokan my Sensi use this kick alot, EXCEPT he makes contact on the lower part of leg before lifting to strike the head. If you felt the contact on the bottom of your leg...too late, the high kick just made contact to your head. He was fast and it was one of his flavoriate techniques because it made you look down. BOOM! .........Aloha

oddball

Orange Belt
Reaction score
my muay thai instructor does the same trick, just the leg goes out a bit more instead of just forward - he does it to setup for low (with down angle), middle (up-angle) and head (with down angle) kicks.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is also a tutorial on youtube from the same guy for a back kick...I am no expert at all, but it looks good.
I'm not impressed by any of the several "tutorials" I watched, personally. His back kick tutorial suggests not looking at the target! And this "brazilian kick" is just a modified roundhouse/round kick, in my opinion. It's also a variation of a kick I've seen mostly in Tae Kwon Do (low roundhouse kick followed immediately by a high roundhouse) fighters.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Damn, I saw "Brazilian" in the title and jumped to the wrong conclusion it would appear. :) Teach me to read the rest of the title and which section it is in now won't it.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Gotta admit that I wasn't impressed, Does seem to be just a slight variation of the roundhouse, particulary the Taekwondo style of 'low high' where the low is more of a feint....faking a front kick almost and then turning over into the roundhouse. There was also something in the nechnics that made me think he was sacrificing power because of his body position. More of the quad pulling the foot into the kick then getting good hip rotation power

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most kicks in my club are called "ouch that bloody hurt" lol!
I agree though with other posters that this kick can be seen in most styles of karate, kickboxing, TKD and TSD. My computer plays videos very jerkily though so it's hard for me to see it properly but he did look a bit unbalanced from what I could see.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree the feint-front kick into a head-high roundhouse is a great combo, but I agree with the above: why are the Brazillians getting credit for it?

There seems to be a pattern of them claiming to have invented stuff that other cultures have been doing for centuries.

Personally, I think

a) the feint front kick should be a bit more pronounced to make sure they take the bait or, if they don't so you can just complete the front kick and mak them REALLY take the bait on the next time around

b) I don't see how spinning around does anything good for you other than expose your back with no technique coming to make exposing the back worth it.

IMO, if you put enough hip rotation in it from the start, combined with additional power from the quads, you don't need to complete the rotation: just rechamber and set back down.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In our system, that kick would be called a "Snap-Wheel" kick. This first kick is a low forward snap kick done as a fake to draw the eyes and head down and to the front, and then the wheel kick comes into the side of the head. We definitely don't spin all the way around on the wheel kick, though. Not sure why he would want to turn his back to his opponent.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Damn, I saw "Brazilian" in the title and jumped to the wrong conclusion it would appear. :) Teach me to read the rest of the title and which section it is in now won't it.

yeah, I did the same thing. I sort of assumed it might be a video clip of Capoeira, and might be highlighting the Meia Lua de Compasso, or horizontal half-moon kick. It also goes by the name Rabo de Raio, or Stingray's Tail (I might have my spelling wrong in the Portuguese, did my best with it). This is sort of a "signature" kick, pretty much unique to Capoeira, and would perhaps merit the title given to this thread.

Not to be. It's just a Roundhouse kick.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Darn. I was hoping from the title that it would feature that goofy sliding kick Royce kept using while he was fighting Sakuraba.

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree the feint-front kick into a head-high roundhouse is a great combo, but I agree with the above: why are the Brazillians getting credit for it?

There seems to be a pattern of them claiming to have invented stuff that other cultures have been doing for centuries.

Personally, I think

a) the feint front kick should be a bit more pronounced to make sure they take the bait or, if they don't so you can just complete the front kick and mak them REALLY take the bait on the next time around

b) I don't see how spinning around does anything good for you other than expose your back with no technique coming to make exposing the back worth it.

IMO, if you put enough hip rotation in it from the start, combined with additional power from the quads, you don't need to complete the rotation: just rechamber and set back down.

lol zdom pokes menacing stick at BJJ ( :

Latest Discussions