The best Taekwondo coaches

OP
P

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Then Herb Perez's Korean instructor and its lineage of coaches such as Mark Williams and Peter Bardatsos then had it from the early 90s to 2000 (his master produced many fighters which included point-fighters for many years prior) which include Peter Bardatsos, Tony Graf, Sean Burke, etc.

Herb Perez' Korean born instructor was GM KIM Ki Chung. I think Peter had a different instructor, I want to say GM Moon Sung LEE from New York. Tony Graf came from some place else too originally, I think.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Greg Tubbs, Alene Limas, Patrice Remark, Scott Fugi, Tim Thackrey,Barb Kunkel, Henry Cruz, Jason Poos, George Martinez, The Villa's----Great Coaches! Great People!!!!!

Eui Lee is a great coach...character issues are a problem same with Bardatsos and Jin Suh. Great Coaches big problems!!!!!

Jean Lopez has talented siblings...All his other students came to him after they had developed their skills. He is a disaster if your are not a Lopez!!! Not a good chair coach if you really pay attention to what he says. Steven doesn't really listen to him if you observe!!! Mark doesn't listen!!!! Diane seems to pay attention and is worse for it!

Juan Moreno is a good Chair Coach if you are winning a string of losses and other people will start coaching you!!!!! Juan will disappear!!!! It is all about Juan and the money!!!!

OP
P

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok, so now that we have identified our best coaches and determined their styles as well as their strengths and weaknesses, the next step is to figure out who should be appointed as coaches for our national team.

There are four spots (one head and one assistant for male and female) and sixteen team members. First thing we should maybe determine is how many of those four spots should go to relationship coaches (my son/daughter/brother/sister/student made team and i should be allowed to coach them).

How about motivational coaches? Do they have a spot on the team? How about technical coaches, who tend to be able to coach a wider variety of athletes? Some combination? How about trainers, who work well in work outs but cannot sit in the chair? Who should be the head coach? And more importantly, why?

How about head of team? Do we want a USOC civil servant with no taekwondo background in there interacting with the movers and shakers at worlds, or the olympics, or perhaps someone else who has relationships and markers and can call those markers in in the event of an emergency?

For example, during the 1992 Olympics, when James Villasana lost, some say unfairly, the US delegation, which included one past (Dr. Min Head of Team), one present (GM Ahn) and two future USTU Presidents (GM Chong and GM Lee) all protested the match. They didn't win the protest, but the next day, Herb Perez fought and ended up winning gold. Coincidence? Maybe.

But the question, is, who should be our US representatives at WTF International Events? And why?

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
They should drop the Idea of National Team Coaches and allow the athletes to pick who Coaches them!!!!!!

OP
P

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
They should drop the Idea of National Team Coaches and allow the athletes to pick who Coaches them!!!!!!

So we have the athletes vote then. There are four spots for coaches. Juan Moreno, being a good recruiter of talent, manages to place nine athletes on team. Does that mean those nine would be able to select all four coaches on the team? What about Steven Lopez and the Lopez family? Do they get outvoted for who they want, just like how the minority members on the USAT board get outvoted? How does that work?

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
So we have the athletes vote then. There are four spots for coaches. Juan Moreno, being a good recruiter of talent, manages to place nine athletes on team. Does that mean those nine would be able to select all four coaches on the team? What about Steven Lopez and the Lopez family? Do they get outvoted for who they want, just like how the minority members on the USAT board get outvoted? How does that work?

In the scenario you've layed out, it would make sense for Moreno to have a big say and possibly veto power about the selection of the coaches who will assist him prepare his nine atheletes.

OP
P

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
In the scenario you've layed out, it would make sense for Moreno to have a big say and possibly veto power about the selection of the coaches who will assist him prepare his nine atheletes.

Perhaps, but I don't think he should have a say on all of the coaches just because he has a majority of the athletes. There are seven other athletes. If he has nine athletes, which is about half, then perhaps his athletes could select two of the four coaches.

Also, should we consider past record at International Events as a factor in determining who is selected as coach? Say Juan's nine athletes never won a single medal ever, while Steven, Mark and Diana got gold at both Olympics and Worlds. Should that be a consideration?

What I am trying to do with the discussion is take it beyond the armchair who is the best, and attempt to figure out how would we select coaches, if we were in charge. These are the kinds of discussions I would hope are taking place when USAT selects coaches. Or if there is a new organization at some point, perhaps some people who read this message board will be in a position to select coaches and they can perhaps consider the points raised here in making their decisions.

Beats sitting around and complaining about what was done and instead makes people think about how we can improve.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
What I am trying to do with the discussion is take it beyond the armchair who is the best, and attempt to figure out how would we select coaches, if we were in charge. These are the kinds of discussions I would hope are taking place when USAT selects coaches. Or if there is a new organization at some point, perhaps some people who read this message board will be in a position to select coaches and they can perhaps consider the points raised here in making their decisions.

Beats sitting around and complaining about what was done and instead makes people think about how we can improve.

Makes a lot of sense.

hal-apino

Green Belt
Reaction score
Today I would have to say Greg Tubbs and Patrice Remark

They have the passion and the interest in the student, any student!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Today I would have to say Greg Tubbs and Patrice Remark

They have the passion and the interest in the student, any student!

Yes but Greg is not part of USAT and they will never give him a chance because he will not play their game. I know Greg and if anybody has ever watched what he can truely do they would have to put him on the very top of the list.

hal-apino

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yes but Greg is not part of USAT and they will never give him a chance because he will not play their game. I know Greg and if anybody has ever watched what he can truely do they would have to put him on the very top of the list.

Oooops ......I thought we were talking best tkd Coach. I agree Master Tubbs is one of a kind and an amazing Coach that has heart and spirit. He coached my daughter once at AAU Team Trials and she to this day will say he is AMAZING!

OP
P

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score

One concern that I have heard about Greg Tubbs, which goes for a lot of coaches out there, is that he only seemed to have succeeded with his own children, that none of his other athletes have made it as far as his own kids. A lot of coaches out there have one generation of elite level athletes, and after that, they tend to fade to a lower level of accomplishment, or stop coaching completely.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
One concern that I have heard about Greg Tubbs, which goes for a lot of coaches out there, is that he only seemed to have succeeded with his own children, that none of his other athletes have made it as far as his own kids. A lot of coaches out there have one generation of elite level athletes, and after that, they tend to fade to a lower level of accomplishment, or stop coaching completely.

Wasn't Anees Hassain a student of Tubbs'? AAU Team member and 08 Olympic trials final fight off vs Charlotte Craig aren't horrible accomplishments.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Well that is not true he has three on the team four on the Junior team and also train Carlos Alverez Junior World Champion, so I would say he is pretty good plus he helps with my son's as well and has done alot for them.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oooops ......I thought we were talking best tkd Coach. I agree Master Tubbs is one of a kind and an amazing Coach that has heart and spirit. He coached my daughter once at AAU Team Trials and she to this day will say he is AMAZING!

You are right, I was just making a point that he will never be USAT because of all the politics. Even though he was sent a plauque saying he was the best coach they had at one point.

hal-apino

Green Belt
Reaction score

I am not sure about recently but I know Kasey Mallard was his student and she was very successful, he coached my daughter one time at AAU Team Trials and she made team. It is not always easy to have someone else coach you that has not trained or worked with you, she could not believe how comfortable it was having him coach her. Patrice has that same talent as well.
My point is that he has what it takes to be a National Coach , AAU is Blessed to have them!

OP
P

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well that is not true he has three on the team four on the Junior team and also train Carlos Alverez Junior World Champion, so I would say he is pretty good plus he helps with my son's as well and has done alot for them.

I don't know if AAU team counts.

KarateMomUSA

Black Belt
Reaction score
Great coaches are great no matter where they coach. Pros go to college & the minor leagues to get qualified coaches all the time, with even some colleges recruiting pro coaches as well. So if a person has talent in making the most out of their charge's talent, she can probably do it in any organization, especially if the competition rules are the same.

Latest Discussions