The best Taekwondo coaches

Markku P

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I am curious about the education of these coaches mentioned in this thread. What kind of background and what degrees? ( I mean physical education, sports, sports science etc. )

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I am curious about the education of these coaches mentioned in this thread. What kind of background and what degrees? ( I mean physical education, sports, sports science etc. )

I asked this question in another thread and some answere where provided. Patrice Remarck, one of the coaches mentioned and one I particularly like has a fairly solid Taekwondo background and education. Here is is bio: http://www.remarcksport.com/?id=instructors

hal-apino

Green Belt
Reaction score

Good Question, Let's start with the National Coach - JEAN LOPEZ

Markku P

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I asked this question in another thread and some answere where provided. Patrice Remarck, one of the coaches mentioned and one I particularly like has a fairly solid Taekwondo background and education. Here is is bio: http://www.remarcksport.com/?id=instructors

Thanks, but I am wondering if coaches are educated in the field of sports, (Masters,PhD
Sport and Health Sciences):)

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks, but I am wondering if coaches are educated in the field of sports, (Masters,PhD
Sport and Health Sciences):)

Some of the the Korean/Korean-Americans yes. The Americans, I doubt it. Education for Taekwondo professionals is not taken that seriously here.

OP
P

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Your true colors are starting to show!!! Greg Tubbs has coached/developed many athletes the fact that you don't know them speaks volumes!!!!!!!

How many made USAT senior national team?

Markku P

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Some of the the Korean/Korean-Americans yes. The Americans, I doubt it. Education for Taekwondo professionals is not taken that seriously here.

Sorry..I wasn't really clear, :) I meant if coaches are educated in the field of sports.( generally ) Not only in Taekwondo because very few countries offer spesific program for taekwondo coaches.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sorry..I wasn't really clear, :) I meant if coaches are educated in the field of sports.( generally ) Not only in Taekwondo because very few countries offer spesific program for taekwondo coaches.

Oh. Yes I think many athletic coaches in regulated educational settings here in the U.S are trained and have degrees of one kind of another. But I doubt the majority of taekwondo coaches we are talking about on this thread have any education in the fields of sports, kinesiology, sports management, physiology, etc. I seriously don't think that's specialization is neccessary even though I consider higher education to be a very important asset.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
How many made USAT senior national team?

Does the USAT National Team Really matter!!!!

He has two Junior World Champions!!!

And multiple fighters who have made National Teams for other countries!

He had an Olympic Alternate!!!!All these athletes are home grown!!!

The USAT has locked him out in most cases!!!!! He won't play ball!!!!

He coached my daughter internationally and is an exceptional coach!!!!

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score

In the US generally coaches are known for their output => athletes and championships not their education.

Bill Walsh, Bill Belichick, Angelo Dundee, Phil Jackson, Jean Lopez :)

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the US generally coaches are known for their output => athletes and championships not their education.

I would never put Jean in with Bill Walsh, Bill Belichick, Angelo Dundee or Phil Jackson. All of them have degree's and that is very important in my eye's. Come on TX_BB you of all people should believe a degree means something.

OP
P

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would never put Jean in with Bill Walsh, Bill Belichick, Angelo Dundee or Phil Jackson. All of them have degree's and that is very important in my eye's. Come on TX_BB you of all people should believe a degree means something.

You know who also have degrees? President Sang Lee (and all of the Korean born USTU Presidents), GM Dae Sung Lee, GM Han Won Lee, GM Young In Cheon.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You know who also have degrees? President Sang Lee (and all of the Korean born USTU Presidents), GM Dae Sung Lee, GM Han Won Lee, GM Young In Cheon.

Yes I am aware of this, but thank you for sharing that insight for others....

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

Wow please let has not slur Angelo Dundee and Phil Jackson by comparing them in any way with Jean Lopez.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
All of them have degree's and that is very important in my eye's. Come on TX_BB you of all people should believe a degree means something.

I don't think a degree always means something. Maybe it's because I'm coming from the situation where I don't have one, am completely self-taught and have achieved a high enough career level. I've also interviewed people (some with master's degrees) that produced worse work than they would have done if they'd just gone out in to industry and started learning.

I guess it depends what the degree is in (law for example, a degree is really mandatory) but in the world of computer software I'd say it's definitely optional and oftentimes developers come out of them with bad habits and out of date experience (and an over-inflated ego because they got a "first" degree).

OP
P

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh. Yes I think many athletic coaches in regulated educational settings here in the U.S are trained and have degrees of one kind of another. But I doubt the majority of taekwondo coaches we are talking about on this thread have any education in the fields of sports, kinesiology, sports management, physiology, etc. I seriously don't think that's specialization is neccessary even though I consider higher education to be a very important asset.

I don't know about other coaches, but I know that GM Dae Sung LEE has a degree in physical education and political science. Most of the Taekwondo graduates of Chae Dae and other korean universities also have physical education related degrees.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't know about other coaches, but I know that GM Dae Sung LEE has a degree in physical education and political science. Most of the Taekwondo graduates of Chae Dae and other korean universities also have physical education related degrees.

I was talking about American instructors mainly, especially those of the younger generation, who, to their peril seem , seem to think that higher education of any kind is a waste of time. Education, shouldn't not just be university education. I would consider many people who deliberately continue to seek to broaden their intellect by reading, work experience, independent study, etc. to be educated.

Latest Discussions