The Art of Japanese Swordsmanship Video Clips!

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It was cool and all.. but forgive me, I find it kinda sad that "the art of japanese swordmanship" is being demonstrated by a westerner or non-japanese. I'm sure in Japan there are those still practicing the ancient and time honored techniques and rituals... just watching the video... :idunno: got this non-committal feeling.

Please don't get me wrong here, I love kendo and the wonderful art that goes into the swords and swordmanship. Everything had a purpose, it was a language unto itself.

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Pleas dont get me wrong either. But Im not very familiar with this are. It seems very slow and deliberate and not "combat speed". At that pace I cant see it as very combat effective. Maybe thats not important these days. Just an observation.

Charles Mahan

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Context of videos is everything. Are these videos even supposed to be full speed? Are they supposed to be slow and deliberate to demonstrate a particular point? Is he holding back in order to not share things he doesn't want to make public? Are you well educated enough to even begin to understand what he is doing? Do you know how big his sword is? How much it weighs?

Suino-sensei has trained for many years including several in Japan. When looking at things you are not particularly familiar with, it is usually best to reserve judgement. It is the best way to avoid foot in mouth disease.

Charles Mahan

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I find it kinda sad that "the art of japanese swordmanship" is being demonstrated by a westerner or non-japanese.

Frankly this statementmakes it pretty clear to me that you are fairly ignorant of the state of the JSA world both in and out of Japan. Your opinion of this site and the video contained on it are consequently worth very little as you are simply unqualified to pass judgement.

kakuma

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Frankly this statementmakes it pretty clear to me that you are fairly ignorant of the state of the JSA world both in and out of Japan. Your opinion of this site and the video contained on it are consequently worth very little as you are simply unqualified to pass judgement.
I have to agree with Charles' comments. Mr. Suino's videos are very basic iai katas. Subtle where they need to be. Powerful when they need to be. His movement seems very methodical for presentation purposes.

It seems very slow and deliberate and not "combat speed". At that pace I cant see it as very combat effective.
If you have no understanding of JSA then opinions are just that opinions. Combat effectiveness can only be seen past the kata.

I find it kinda sad that "the art of japanese swordmanship" is being demonstrated by a westerner or non-japanese.
I am not understanding why the fact that he is "non-Japanese" has anything to do with his ability to teach Japanese sword.

Is that to say that people like myself who have been training for almost 20 years and travelling to Japan consistently to train with my very Japanese sensei, in which he has licensed me to teach under his branch are unqualified?

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Context of videos is everything. Are these videos even supposed to be full speed? Are they supposed to be slow and deliberate to demonstrate a particular point? Is he holding back in order to not share things he doesn't want to make public? Are you well educated enough to even begin to understand what he is doing? Do you know how big his sword is? How much it weighs?

Suino-sensei has trained for many years including several in Japan. When looking at things you are not particularly familiar with, it is usually best to reserve judgement. It is the best way to avoid foot in mouth disease.

Dont get all offended dude. I said I was unfamiliar. Educate me, That attitude of "you just dont understand so shut up" is crap. Perhaps that is the case. I would just think that once you grabbed the hilt of your sword you better be moving. If theres a reason then explain it.

Charles Mahan

Purple Belt
Reaction score
There is a great deal of reason and kihon behind the waza being demonstrated in those videos. No offense, but I neither owe you an explanation nor is it my place to provide you with one.

Suino-sensei's iai is a bit different from the line I practice. Despite the fact that we practice the same style and he was even once part of the same organization that I am associated with, we do things a bit differently. It would not really be appropriate for me to discuss his iai in a public forum. If yout really want to know why he does things the way he does, ask him about it.

All I will say is that there is a big difference between timing and speed and that cutting the fastest is not nearly as important as cutting first.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If theres a reason then explain it.

Well, Mr Mahan does not owe you an explination as he said. But I will offer a partial one.

The way of moving fast is not really about practicing fast. "Jim Grover" himself said that is just a way of being spazmatic. The key to becoming fast with a movement is to cut out each and every unneeded movement and burn the remaining into the body through tons and tons of slow, precise, practice.

I have seen folks practice Iai very slow all night, and then once or twice rip out a sword so fast it made my jaw drop. When they practice, there is no sound since there is nothing dragging across anything else or being caught up. By comparrison, I had a tape of a guy from Puerto Rico who decided to make up his own style of Iai and he was trying his damndest to pull the thing out as fast as he could. But it was not nearly as fast as the guys I have seen in Japan and you cna hear the grinding of sword on scabbard.

I hope this helps. Some things may not make sense at first glance, but you have to understand that some of these ways of doing things have been accepted over the centuries for a reason. Your asking why it is and asking for an explination is the right way to go about things. Too often, people reject what they don't understand in facor of their preconceived notions.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, Mr Mahan does not owe you an explination as he said. But I will offer a partial one.

The way of moving fast is not really about practicing fast. "Jim Grover" himself said that is just a way of being spazmatic. The key to becoming fast with a movement is to cut out each and every unneeded movement and burn the remaining into the body through tons and tons of slow, precise, practice.

I have seen folks practice Iai very slow all night, and then once or twice rip out a sword so fast it made my jaw drop. When they practice, there is no sound since there is nothing dragging across anything else or being caught up. By comparrison, I had a tape of a guy from Puerto Rico who decided to make up his own style of Iai and he was trying his damndest to pull the thing out as fast as he could. But it was not nearly as fast as the guys I have seen in Japan and you cna hear the grinding of sword on scabbard.

I hope this helps. Some things may not make sense at first glance, but you have to understand that some of these ways of doing things have been accepted over the centuries for a reason. Your asking why it is and asking for an explination is the right way to go about things. Too often, people reject what they don't understand in facor of their preconceived notions.

This advice should be a sticky! The best technical Karate instructor I have ever had taught this way. After two to three years of training, his students were the betters of folks at my then previous school who held third and fourth dans.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Nice post Don and right on the money. When practicing Iaido you need to very methodically and slowly get rid of the nonessential movements. So that in the moment you can move quickly without being bound up by all of the unnecessary movement.

I practice with one of Suino Sensei's senior students and I have been very impressed with their movement and iaido skill's. I cannot wait until my next private lesson!

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Thank you. :asian:

Andrew Bryant

White Belt
Reaction score
Suino sensei emphasizes precision and power over speed. Here are a few more clips for the curious...

If anyone has any questions, you can email Suino sensei directly through his website mentioned above.

Cheers!

Andrew Bryant

Last edited by a moderator:

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Umm... yep okay :asian:

howard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Why is practice allowed with dull blades?

Can't answer with respect to MJER, but I can think of a couple of practical reasons that are probably applicable to all sword arts.

1. Safety. You can't really cut yourself badly with an iaito (or other type of dull practice sword). This is an advantage while you are still learning and getting comfortable with using the sword.
  2. Cost. In general, iaito and other metal practice swords are cheaper than live blades, especially hand-forged ones.
What do you think?

Monadnock

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Can't answer with respect to MJER, but I can think of a couple of practical reasons that are probably applicable to all sword arts.
  1. Safety. You can't really cut yourself badly with an iaito (or other type of dull practice sword). This is an advantage while you are still learning and getting comfortable with using the sword.
  2. Cost. In general, iaito and other metal practice swords are cheaper than live blades, especially hand-forged ones.
What do you think?

Thanks Howard. I am not sure and I'm mostly to blame for never asking when I was at the classes/events.

If I had to guess, it is purely for safety reasons and was not practiced that way "back in the day."

My personal feelings is it kind of removes a level of discipline. Maybe someone else can answer the next part, and that is: Are live blades a requirement after a certain time in training?

Charles Mahan

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If I had to guess, it is purely for safety reasons and was not practiced that way "back in the day."
My understanding is that it was not uncommon "back in the day" to dull a sword down some before letting a new student train with it. They were probably not as dull as we use now, but enough to prevent finger carving from a casual brush and to minimize saya damage.

The "Iaito" by which I mean the zinc aluminum alloy iaitos came into existence post WWII and are a response to government production quotas which limit the number of steel blades which can be smithed. It was a simple supply and demand problem. More swords were needed for training purposes than were available. Making swords out of the non-ferrous alloys got around the government restrictions. Making them dull was just common sense, since only newer students use them.

My personal feelings is it kind of removes a level of discipline.
Of course. The benefit is getting to keep students longer and allowing students to push the edge a bit before they would have been ready to with live steel, not to mention significantly lowering the barriers to begining training. New steel swords in Japan are going to run at the very least $3500 or so. An iaito can be had for as little as $200 or so. Newer students will not be able to appreciate the finer points which a shinken demands till well into their training anyway.

Maybe someone else can answer the next part, and that is: Are live blades a requirement after a certain time in training?

Absolutely. Within the first 5 to 10 years. For some dojos it's much earlier. Think about it the way the higher ups do. 5 years is a tiny proportion of a 40 year training curriculum. No harm done in the long run, and fewer disabling injuries. Considering nobody is actively training for the possibility of feudal warfare in the near future, it's an acceptable exchange.

Latest Discussions