The Art of Flirting

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was at an even on Saturday and was commented on my flirt ability:

My friend's husband was promoted to Master Sergeant and we had arranged for a largish ceremony.
Although his unit is rather small, we also had the Boy Scouts along, since he is our Scout master.

I had my camera with me, which changes my way of interacting with people considerably, as well as my husband.
Which should put a damper on my flirtation, right!

Well, I did not think I was flirting. But some of the guests were just very easy going, not to say they were cutting up themselves.
But one of the ladies, i was told expressed the desire to be able to flirt like that. I am assuming she is just getting ready to look again after she got divorced. And as middle aged ladies are, she does look too much at her flaws rather than her assets.

So what is the way to a fun flirt?

To me it's being comfortable with myself.
After that nasty cold bug from last November, I am finally feeling good again physically. Still tired, but a good kind of tired, not the 'run over by a bus convoy' kind of tired.

I am good with the way I look, most of the time, when I don't look at pictures others take of me ;) or my white roots are showing.....I could get into better shape (see above, feeling good enough to contemplate physical activity), but over all, it's not bad.

I am not looking.
I am married, for more than 20 years (and saying that just shocks me)
Ok, so yes, some days I could happily do without Dear Husband. But he's a good guy. He isn't going anywhere, neither am I.

On the other hand, I am not dead. :D
I do look at the pretty guy.
But that is as far as it goes.

I think I can help my friend with the fist two points....offering her companionship to get fitter (not necessarily thinner...I can't remember the last time I got on a scale outside the doctor's office) just fit and more happy, the kind you get from exercising!

can't get the anxiety off her though, about actually being ready to look.

What's your take on flirting?

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's one of those things that I try not to over-analyse for fear of killing it :D. I don't intentionally do it but my wife (and some of my female friends) has told me that I do have a very relaxed and complementary way about me when I interact with women. I like a woman to be at ease with me and I also like a lady to feel good about herself, so why not politely let her know if she is looking particularly nice or dressed particularly well? If that's flirting, then I must hold my hand up as 'guilty as charged' :lol:.

About the only 'advice' I can offer is don't say anything if you are not being sincere. Most women's 'nonsense detectors' are pretty good and you stray from being gentlemanly into something less civilised and social if you don't mean your words. Likewise, don't 'lay it on with a trowel'; for that strides over the line between pleasantly making note of a woman's admirable qualities and being something altogether less welcome.

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
If you can't do it in front of your spouse, either the relationship is weak or it's a bit overboard.

Really, the problem isn't with us. It's how others perceive it and unintended consequences. From courtesans, to officers' wives, flirtation has always been an important tool/part of social advancement (a military wife needs to walk that fine line to help the hubby's career, and yet still seem 'the lady').

What's your take on flirting?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
For you friend I think she needs to be confident and happy with who she is. Once that happens everything is pretty easy!!! ;)

Oh by the way I only flirt with my wife! ;)

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That is very true, Brian. Confidence and comfort in your own skin affects all of our interactions with others. Sadly for me, the rock upon which my own confidence stood, which was the unshakeable love my wife had for me and I for her, is now gone. I fear with it will have gone that ease of manner I once had. So, at least for a while, flirting, will be a thing of the past.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For you friend I think she needs to be confident and happy with who she is. Once that happens everything is pretty easy!!! ;)

Oh by the way I only flirt with my wife! ;)

Brian, Now I am confused. You mean hitting people wth sticks and grappling with them stand up or on the ground is not flirting? ;)

Seriously, being oneself is the first step.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Brian, Now I am confused. You mean hitting people wth sticks and grappling with them stand up or on the ground is not flirting? ;)

Seriously, being oneself is the first step.

I hear for some guys it's very appealing to be hit on in this manner by a woman.....:D

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I hear for some guys it's very appealing to be hit on in this manner by a woman.....:D

I usually just blush and get all shy. All talk and no game.

Latest Discussions