The animals in Kempo/Kenpo

USSD says the 5 animal techniques came from the Shaolin Temple. Where GM Villari learned them I'm not sure.

I see the use of the 5 Animals as more of a strategic way of thinking or applying the movements, as opposed to a way of actually moving.

From Ted Sumner's forum:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a general overview of the nature and modality of the fighting styles of the Five Animals of Kenpo. Hope this helps.

DRAGON
Most effective against: The Tiger
Most vulnerable against: The Panther

The Dragon is a primarily defensive animal and the strategy of the Dragon deals with the yielding to and redirecting of force used against it. The simplest application of Dragon strategy is to move out of the way as executed in the Total Evasion discipline. A War Art application of Dragon strategy would be judicious use of critical distance. That is to position just within the range of your opponent offering an apparent target. As the attack is committed the Dragon enjoins and directs or redirects the force in a different or merely exaggerated direction increasing the intensity, angle speed of the movement.

TIGER
Most effective against: The Crane
Most vulnerable against: The Dragon

The Tiger is an intelligent powerful animal that reacts to any threat with an offensive effort. The strategy of the Tiger is to skillfully apply a superlatively balanced attack consisting of powerful kicks, handstrikes and blocks. The Tiger will move relentlessly down the center attacking the opponents most vulnerable and vital parts and prefers to meet force with greater force. The Tiger might well embrace the Kenpo credo “every block a strike, every strike a block”.

CRANE
Most effective against: The Serpent
Most vulnerable against: The Tiger

The Crane, like the Dragon, is a docile animal that uses force only in cause of self defense and applies the a an very defensive modality. The Crane will rise up and open it’s wings to give an illusion of greater size and then strike with the beak to a vital target as soon as the opponent is within critical distance. The Crane uses it’s ability to strike long range to compensate for it’s lack of ability to overpower it’s opponent. The use of long range kicks, such as the rear kick, rear thrust and front thrust are examples of a Crane strategy. Once it’s critical distance has been compromised the Crane will respond with a fusillade of strikes with the wings claws and beak. Much like what Kenpo styles do with fists, fingers, elbow, knee and teeth. Once the opponent is disabled, injured or put on the defensive the Crane will reacquire it’s critical distance.

SERPENT
Most effective against: The Panther
Most vulnerable against: The Crane

The Serpent, like the Tiger moves down the center and targets the most vital targets in order to accomplish the most damage to the opponent with each strike. The Serpent will, however, take hold of it’s opponent and wrap around him in order to constrict and suffocate the opponent into unconsciousness or death. The Serpent is most vulnerable once it crosses into critical distance and must close quickly with it’s opponent in order to neutralize long-range defensive strikes. Once engaged with the opponent the Serpent is fully committed to that struggle and incapable of dealing with multiple attackers.

PANTHER
Strongest against: The Dragon
Most vulnerable against: The Snake

The Panther, like the Serpent, is employs an offensive strategy in combat. The Panther uses it’s apparently blinding speed coupled with a continuous recombination of complimentary lines and angles to mesmerize it’s opponent with continuous strikes that seem to come from everywhere. Much like the Kenpo “missile attack” strategy, the Panther never relies on a single strike to necessarily settle the matter. The Panther is both ambidextrous and highly mobile, moving in and out of critical distance striking at will. The Panther however, lacking the strength of the Tiger, does not do well once it has been taken to the ground and it’s mobility and striking skill and speed has been compromised.

written by Ted Sumner

I see the use of the 5 Animals as more of a strategic way of thinking or applying the movements, as opposed to a way of actually moving.

I couldn't remember where I had seen this before until you posted it here, and this may make me sound like an ***, but do you really find this useful? Versus describing a fighter as a grappler, counter-fighter, blitzer, evader, etc.

When fighting/sparring a guy, do you think "he's a crane, better go tiger?"
I understand the analogies but I don't understand why we need them, it seems like an unnecessary cultural trapping that is intentionally placed on the system.

Lamont

I couldn't remember where I had seen this before until you posted it here, and this may make me sound like an ***, but do you really find this useful? Versus describing a fighter as a grappler, counter-fighter, blitzer, evader, etc.

When fighting/sparring a guy, do you think "he's a crane, better go tiger?"
I understand the analogies but I don't understand why we need them, it seems like an unnecessary cultural trapping that is intentionally placed on the system.

Lamont

I mention these in a couple places at my website (the same one as the technique archive), and for the most part according to my research the animals in shaolin kempo were derived from existing kempos and organized by movement pattern to correspond to the traditional Chinese martial mythology descriptions of the basic 5 animals of Kung Fu.

I talk about kempos here, and animals here.

Essentially, there were a lot of kempos that need organizing, and kung fu was the hot new thing in the mid '70's. I don't necessarily mean this as a criticism, because it worked out as a relatively ingenious method for organizing essentially a random collection of techniques.

Matt

Thanks for posting that Matt. Interesting, your snake and the Tracy Kenpo (posted by Dave) serpent are two totally different strategies, as is your Dragons.

I guess I can understand why an Art that calls itself "Shaolin Kempo" might have these kinds of descriptions. I don't get it for Tracy Kenpo, the Tracy's claim a lineage to Japanese Samurai, and that Professor Chow had no kung-fu instruction, so the 5 animal thing strikes me as distinctly odd.

Lamont

As far as part of SKK, I can't say that it is part of the normal cirriculum, but I had been exposed to Praying Mantis. Definately don't remember being taught any Monkey style throughout the years.

Sorry for the mix up, I ment they are part of Shaolin Kung Fu. In SKK we just have the 5 animals your right

I was taught a couple of kempo punch techniques one called diving crane and the other merciful crane. They are supposed to have attributes of the crane.

Eight Hands of the Leopard, Leopard Hands, Snow Leopard, Tiger Ripping Bark, Black Tiger, Tiger Climbs the Mountain, Deflecting Tiger, etc ...

Eight Hands of the Leopard, Leopard Hands, Snow Leopard, Tiger Ripping Bark, Black Tiger, Tiger Climbs the Mountain, Deflecting Tiger, etc ...
Are you sure ussd guys didnt just make those up?

shaolin kempo also has animal based forms, cranes, tigers, leopards, snakes and dragons.

marlon

Statue of the crane is based on the Okinawan form Rohai, the rest i assume are from Villari but so far are quite good and practical. hon suki is often described as a tiger form and it comes through master Bill Chun Sr. who created it but that version is apparently very different from the form as taught through the Villari lineage

marlon

In my SKK school, we have quite a number of monkey techniques (I know about 4) and I have one eagle technique. My instuctor also went into detail about the differences between how a eagle moves and attacks and how a crane moves and attacks. My instructor has had several years of Kung Fu training so I am not sure if they were taught to him by another SKK master or his Kung Fu instructor. My school is kind of atypical because my instructor focuses on the animals a lot. We can spend several classes focusing on advanced animal techniques and practicing drills to increase our understanding of how certain animals move and attack.

Back