Thats it, Im done with martial art

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Also, both my shotokan and wadu sensai cannot allow me to accept black belt till I'm 18. I've gone to many clubs and they have offered me black upon the FIRST night... I hate McDojos...
Stop by my place if your ever in the area I'll allow you to join as a White belt no stripes.

A

archmagician

So you have showed up a various schools and they offered you a black belt on the first night?

That lie is so pathetic and unbelievable that I think you should get a job as the Iraqi Information Minister...

07-minister.jpg

"There are no American infidels in Baghdad. Never!"

"My feelings - as usual - we will slaughter them all"

"Our initial assessment is that they will all die"

"I blame Al-Jazeera - they are marketing for the Americans!"

"God will roast their stomachs in hell at the hands of Iraqis."

"They're coming to surrender or be burned in their tanks."

"No I am not scared, and neither should you be!"

"Be assured. Baghdad is safe, protected"

I hope your martial arts skills are not as bad as you ability to lie; if they are, you could always try to get hired on for the sequel to:
Kung Pow!: Enter the Fist

or you could practice your skills on this website:
http://www.kungpowmovie.com/swf/KPmain.html
Just click on the main characters once they load.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that "swan song" maybe should become a FAQ for the forum. :D TW

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Shotosan,

The MA are not just about fighting but are also for character development. How much development can you experience in anything if you quit at the first sign of opposition?

You will eventually discover that you learn more from your failures than your successes. But you will have neither if you quit.

Get back in the ring and keep your hands up!

Miles

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Miles said:
Shotosan,

The MA are not just about fighting but are also for character development. How much development can you experience in anything if you quit at the first sign of opposition?

You will eventually discover that you learn more from your failures than your successes. But you will have neither if you quit.

Get back in the ring and keep your hands up!

Miles
Hi I will say this.
From the web site I think Andrew is being forth right, He should stay and try to stick it out.
Suck it up and we will understand.
He is still young and we as adults should give some slack.

Andrew please, hang in there...

Regards, Gary

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
GAB said:
Hi I will say this.
From the web site I think Andrew is being forth right, He should stay and try to stick it out.
Suck it up and we will understand.
He is still young and we as adults should give some slack.

Andrew please, hang in there...

Regards, Gary
Gary, I respectfully disagree with you. He lists all those arts within 9.4 years of experience. This is a child who may have some natural ability in ma, but it seems to me that no one can consider himself an expert if he spreads himself so thin in his training over such a short amount of time. Also, consider this. If he's 17, how's he traveling 'all over' to matches at individual dojos? What about school? Where are his parents? Just a few thoughts. Up to him ultimately whether he can take the heat or needs to get out of the kitchen. KT

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
in my opinion, if grown adults are having arguements ON THE INTERNET about martial arts....it really dosn't show a lot of maturity.

and just because someone spells something wrong or is exactly sure on the history of the art, realy dosn't make this a person a bad MAist. Maybe the guy has a lot of natral talent. Who knows honestly....has anyone ever even met this guy that quiting. And to say that you could take this guy on in teh sparring ring and win, with what information you got on him is THROUGH THE COMPUTER!!

I belive a few people on this forum is not keeping themselves humble.

sure you may have 30+ years experince over someone, but honestly every dog has his day, and you can't count out someones youth in a match. Rule of thumb younger guys have higher stamina and endurence and higher energy.

But who really knows. You won't know until to the two people who are arguing to have a match.

You can't judge the out come of a fight by who you trained with, what style you know...ETC when you get to that point its all about "who has the bigger ego."

Please everyone lets keep a humble way of thinking. If we a pushing people away, something has got to be wrong. :asian:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Part of life is being able to take critism..both good and bad. Not everyone you come across will approve of what you say, think, believe, etc. therefore, comments will be made..again, both good and bad.

I believe the problem here, is that there was inconsistency with what was being said. If you were at a job for 9 yrs. and someone asked you what you did everyday, and you said, "I dont know?" what kind of impression is that other person going to form of you? Most likely, not a good one. That being said, if you were in the arts for 9 yrs. I certianly would hope that you would know things and be able to answer questions about that art.

What happens on these forums? People post things, people reply to them..some replies better than others, and at times, a flame starts. Where did this get anyone? Nowhere!!! This would be an example of not taking critism too well!

This person left because he was being questioned on his statements. Almost as if he had something to hide. If you're not sure of something or can't provide an answer, IMO, one should do their best to find that answer. It'll help them in the long run.

Mike

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sin said:
and just because someone spells something wrong or is exactly sure on the history of the art, realy dosn't make this a person a bad MAist. Maybe the guy has a lot of natral talent. Who knows honestly....has anyone ever even met this guy that quiting. And to say that you could take this guy on in teh sparring ring and win, with what information you got on him is THROUGH THE COMPUTER!!
With all due respect, Sin, I think expecting a person with 9+ years of experience, no matter their age, be able to spell the name of their own art accurately is not unreasonable. That said, I don't recall anyone saying they could take him on and win, I recall him saying he had "a hard time not being cocky" - his words - about that he can't be beaten. This is all assuming, of course, that his story is valid.

Sin said:
I belive a few people on this forum is not keeping themselves humble.
I find this statement very interesting. What you might be finding is that when fraud is busted around here, the allegedly fraudulent individual is usually sent off in a viking burial. Maybe it's right, maybe it's wrong, maybe it's just the way that it is. However, this young man had a hard time being humble himself and I see no mention of that in your post.

I think several of us gave this young man a large dose of humility by way of truth. We gave him honest, frank feedback ... probably because he needed it. His kneejerk reaction speaks more to his attitude than the failure of others to be humble.

Sin said:
sure you may have 30+ years experince over someone, but honestly every dog has his day, and you can't count out someones youth in a match. Rule of thumb younger guys have higher stamina and endurence and higher energy.

But who really knows. You won't know until to the two people who are arguing to have a match.
But this was not the point this young man brought up - he brought up the idea that he was having a hard time being humble.

I have a hard time defending someone who asks a loaded question and then who balks at the answers. It does speak to his youth and inexperience as a PERSON.

Sin said:
You can't judge the out come of a fight by who you trained with, what style you know...ETC when you get to that point its all about "who has the bigger ego."
I'm not quite sure I follow you here - may I make an assumption in saying that the point you are trying to get across is that a war of words is all about ego whereas the war of fists is all about skill?

Sin said:
Please everyone lets keep a humble way of thinking. If we a pushing people away, something has got to be wrong. :asian:
I am committed to doing the best I can to remain humble about my abilities, who I am, what I say I can and can't do, welcoming people to this board and helping to guide in the gentlest way I can anyone who asks for it and only when I feel in my heart of hearts that I can contribute something towards that cause.

:asian:

G

ghostdog2

Baytor's post is nothing short of brilliant. It's nice to know that even " Viking Funerals " (per Shesulsa ) have their protocol.

WalkingthePath13578

White Belt
Reaction score
there is one thing that truley made me laugh, no disrespect intended but, i beleive he said,

"ive never been beaten sparring"

can anyone truley say that??? i know i cant. i dont think i know a single martial artist who can say that, if nothing more, then while your learning your teacher beats the hell out of you lol. i know all of my teachers in the few arts ive taken beat the crap out of me. and you want to know when they beat the crap out of me? it was usually when i got too cocky, that was usually when i found myself flat on the mat. ~shakeing head~ its easy to bost (i know i spelled that wrong lol) things when there is no accountability. at least to me, and the phraseing may be wrong, but bare with me, when learning, to be beaten, is to learn everytime ive been hit with something, everytime ive been throw, swept, punched, kicked, kneed, elbowed.....ect. ive learned something new, usually, that i didnt know as much as i thought i did.

your brother in the arts,
Phyl Parsons
Raleigh, NC

Ryan Nune

White Belt
Reaction score
Wowsers look at how many peopel he got talking what an @$$ but I think mabey he didnt get beat?

(sorry my engish isnot that good)

I think that mabey instead of critise him we all should have been a bit more compasionate and helpful instead of (flamering him).people at my school igoto get cocky buy my sen say tells them theyre wrong respectfully not angrerily.

Ryan Nune

White Belt
Reaction score
WalkingthePath13578 said:
there is one thing that truley made me laugh, no disrespect intended but, i beleive he said,

"ive never been beaten sparring"

can anyone truley say that??? i know i cant. i dont think i know a single martial artist who can say that, if nothing more, then while your learning your teacher beats the hell out of you lol. i know all of my teachers in the few arts ive taken beat the crap out of me. and you want to know when they beat the crap out of me? it was usually when i got too cocky, that was usually when i found myself flat on the mat. ~shakeing head~ its easy to bost (i know i spelled that wrong lol) things when there is no accountability. at least to me, and the phraseing may be wrong, but bare with me, when learning, to be beaten, is to learn everytime ive been hit with something, everytime ive been throw, swept, punched, kicked, kneed, elbowed.....ect. ive learned something new, usually, that i didnt know as much as i thought i did.

your brother in the arts,
Phyl Parsons
Raleigh, NC

shotosan said he doesnt remember the last time he go beat not he was never beat before

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd like to address 1 point I saw here. Please forgive me, but I'm shooting here.....

Originally Posted by Sin
If we a pushing people away, something has got to be wrong.

I've agonized over this, many, many times. When MT first went live, I envisioned a small place, where experts would pop in and guide newbies seeking training. A rather nieve view, I know. I failed to take into consideration the human factor.

People suck.

In my 3+ years here, I have seen pretty much everything. 'Learned' masters unable to communicate at a 5th grade level, or who feel the need to threaten to sue if someone so much as disagrees with them about the weather. Self-important, Self-Inflated egomaniacs who think everyone should worship the ground they walk on, kids who think their **** dont stink, full out frauds whose certs are in crayon, and whos belts stink of fryoil, political hacks who only want to lie or bully to enrich themselves, fakirs, frauds and the worse, the trolls. Those little **** for brains who seem to get their jollies by mucking up the works.

It's caused me many sleepless nights. Nights I thought about pulling the plug.

Everytime someone gets outted as a fraud, I get the emails...."I thought it said friendly, why do you let them say that? I'll sue...." (The physical threats are the funniest btw)

You folks know something?

MartialTalk IS for the friendly discussion of the arts. The constant bitching and busting is tiring. It's not the place of this boards staff to go out and check lineages, techniques, etc. We don't have the time, or in most cases the experience. We aren't a forum to bust frauds on.

But you know what? It happens. Someone puts something out, or someone from that system pops in and somehow or another starts rubbing folks the wrong way. To some here, it's almost a challenge, and they have the time/connections/cash to do some digging. They will find out that "so-n-so" learned everything by watching B movies, or bought their black belt, or was only a green belt in X, but is now GM of 'self-promotion-do'. Hey people, if you don't want the truth to come out, stop ****ing lying about your backgrounds. You are stealing from those who trust you, teaching things that will get them hurt or worse. It's just not right, and you should be ashamed of yourselves.

In this thread and several others we have what looks like the "ego" card. Thats the person who is 'unbeatable', cross trained in so many arts they can't remember them all, and just comes off as cocky, arrogant, or worse.

Humility is 1 thing real martial artists learn fast. They don't have to tell you how humble they are either.

MartialTalk is alot of things. I honestly can't say I like everyone here, and everyone here honestly can't say they like me. Thats life. This isn't a "make you feel all warm n squishy" site. It's a community, with rules both writen and unwriten, guidelines, etc. Most sites are like that. Our goal is to be a friendly place for the informed and uninformed to gather and grow, Many people have found new schools, training partners, or just friends here.

We are constantly working to build our members, our staff, our resources and our value as a community and a resource. We can't do that if we allow the blowhards, self-promoted, dangerous people prominence here. It is in our rules, show respect. I miss the days when there were only 10 lines in there....rather than the small book they have become.

MartialTalk is not like other forums.
- We are a general arts forum. There are boards for specialties. We try to cover it all, and sometimes we succeed, sometimes we don't.
- We are not a fraud-busting board. There are sites specifically for that. We don't check credentials, but do allow their discussion as long as that discussion complies with our rules.
- We are not a place for egomaniacs. Check the ego at the door. There are folks here who will correct it for you.
- We aren't a battleground. Have an issue with someone? Been battling across the internet? Keep on going. We aren't the place for that 'final battle'.
- We encourage free expression, opinions, debate and discussion. But we aren't obliged to allow you uncontroled speech. Freedom of speech doesn't apply here. This is private property. You have guest-right. Abuse it, and it will be revolked. Abuse us, and you will be gone.

My goal for this place is to see 100,000 folks on at the same time, and huge get togethers, and camps, etc.

The people here have driven me nuts, caused me to question most of what I believe, feel, and think. They have also pulled together and done some miracles that really shocked, surprised and restored my faith in people. I want this place to continue to grow, and be someplace I am proud to be part of.

So, when I think about this question of "driving people away"...it does concern me. We have lost a number of good folks as we've grown.
I also know the folks we've run off specifically. 2 of them are pretty much offline now, banned from every bbs I've seen them on. We are all better off without them.
I believe that in some cases, driving people away is right, because it makes the site so much more open to the "Friendly" discussion of the "Martial Arts".

I am sorry if this bothers anyone, but I do believe that MT as a whole is much greater than any 1 person, including myself needs. It is why I have stepped back from moderating.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mr Hubbard, words have never been truer than in this post of yours.I for one have thought about leaving over the B.S. but then some-one would come in to the dicussion and bring up so many great points. I have decided to stay with this forum because of the fairness you guys and girls bring to the table. We all know everyone cannot and should not be happy all the time. I like MA and I hope to be here along time and for me I know when I travel there are some great people to meet about the Arts and hopefully get the chance to train with. I'm glad you got the air out your fustrations and maybe we all can grow together in wisdom and humility.

Terry Lee Stoker

TwinDragons Martial Art Studio

Arlington, Texas 76010

HammerFist

White Belt
Reaction score
Try to think of it this way. Do you like or get along with everyone at your school? I like most of the people and I get along with most of the people but some people simply just don't fit in. They are either in the wrong art, at the wrong school or are in martial arts for the wrong reasons. Why should an online forum about martial arts be any different? It's not up to the moderators or members to try to make everyone happy. That's just not realistic. Some people should just go find another board to post on or even pursue other interests entirely. If people want to leave then they should just leave. No need to make a grand exit just to get in the last word.

Just my $0.02.