Thanks for the rescue! Hope to see you in court!

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Let's see now, this Ortiz fellow was driving down a washed out road, didn't bother to consider how deep the water really was, got trapped in his car, and didn't know how to escape the vehicle.

http://gma.yahoo.com/colorado-man-c...submerged-214038116--abc-news-topstories.html

A Colorado man, despite acknowledging that he's lucky to be alive after being trapped in a submerged car, has filed an intent to sue his rescuers for half a million dollars.
Roy Ortiz filed his intent to sue the county of Boulder and his rescuers for a tentative $500,000 as a "preservative" measure, his attorney, Ed Ferszt, told ABCNews.com.

Ferszt said the county should have closed the road during floods in September. He said the first responders were also included because they did not realize Ortiz was trapped in the car until they prepared to lift it out of the water.

Should he be able to sue his rescuers? They aren't obligated to save him, after all, if it's beyond their capabilities. Since this looks more of a job for a recovery diver, I don't see how he could stand any chance of success in court.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
that sucks such a waist of courts time and the counties money.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
How can judges entertain crap like this for even a split second? At some point, SOMEONE sees what is on the docket before it even gets to the judge. They should have the authority to dismiss garbage like this.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How can judges entertain crap like this for even a split second? At some point, SOMEONE sees what is on the docket before it even gets to the judge. They should have the authority to dismiss garbage like this.
Mmm! You don't understand the legal system do you. Let me explain. Point one, everything that goes wrong is someone else's fault. Point two, lawyers get to be paid money to go to court regardless of who wins. Point three, it is often cheaper to pay money to lawyers to settle before you go to court because of points one and two. Point four, this is not a justice system. It is a legal system designed to transfer dollars from the pockets of anyone who has money to those who want more money. If the 'victim' gets a little bit as well it is total victory for everyone except those who actually tried to do the right thing in the first place.
:hmm:

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
more waist of a courts time

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=858301
Actress Halle Berry is among a number of celebrities who have been named in a bizarre lawsuit filed by a homeless woman who is using the case to pitch a TV show.
Berry, Amanda Bynes and Armie Hammer have been named in the lawsuit, which the claimant Jo Anne Vandegriff admits is for the sole purpose of getting them to read her script.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is insane, he should be thankful he was rescued.
Put his rear in jail for being an illegal, sue him for any monies he has made in the USA and for the use of our highways, and for putting people at risk when they had to rescue him. Then deport him and his lawyer as was suggested above.
The legal system needs to pull its head out of its ***and stop wasting taxpayers money on stupidness

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
More waist
http://www.crazytruestories.com/man-sues-mcdonalds-for-1-5-million-over-napkin/

A California man is suing McDonald’s for 1.5 million dollar because he only received one napkin with his meal. *The man claims to have emailed the general manager of the restaurant to complain but was not satisfied with the free food they offered him to make him happy. *

He states he is now not able to work because of “undue mental anguish” that he suffered from the napkin incident and has filed the lawsuit to recoup damages.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Judges can dismiss cases that come before them. I have seen it happen many times. My son's mother is a courthouse-happy nut who files a petition on me any time I say "no" to one ridiculous demand or another she has made on me. When we get to court, the judge says, "You were just here over this issue, weren't you? And you agreed to what we came up with then. I am dismissing your petition." Maybe a petition is easier to get rid of than an actual lawsuit...I don't know, I am not an attorney...but it seems like if judges have the power to do things like set aside a jury's verdict (which is a REAL waste of time and money because the whole purpose of a trial is to GET A JURY'S VERDICT), then they should have the power to say, "This case is frivolous. Get out of my courtroom."

Latest Discussions