thailand

VASI

Orange Belt
Reaction score
yo guys, been training hard in muay thai, training is rough but i love it. checked out some chiaya stuff. these guys are nuts, they do like all this strict movement like karate type things and dont know if they compete or fight, they say they do but where? strange stuff not for me. its like going around and around for no reason.
will head back into cambo soon to look into bokator but i think its more of the chaiya thing, cambodians here tell me its a new system made up by a hapkido guy, which is crazy nuts. its hard to find honest answers but i will let you guys know. best vasi

OP
V

VASI

Orange Belt
Reaction score
saw that, well ya know, its what it is.
its ok but they talk about this unique kinda thing but its not special really. to each his own. i dont think they are going to attract many people. i say its ok for some but not for all. im sure they disagree but thats ok.

Thunder Foot

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hey VASI,
where did you happen to see Chaiya? From your description, maybe you weren't looking at a good source, as its got its own principles very different from karate. Not everything is for everyone, but you're already learning sport Muay, then there are definitely things with potential to be added to your game. Just my 2cents.

OP
V

VASI

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I saw several people and still try to.
one of my peeps is a thai whos been training in the style for like 5 years and is quite good. I got to train on the side with them manytimes. Iwent to visit some other schools. all the same non sense.
its very robot like and they do like katas. never studied things like karate and focus on self de but taking advantage of thai boxing while here. also the chaiya guys self defense is wack.
none of the teachers ever fought or even been in a fight and it shows bro. watched some fights in am comps and they look like white belts swinging in the wind---no chaiya moves at all---which tells the story. i got inside info from the thais also they rarely teach non thais quickly
my cousin i am living with is thai and he fills me in as well. im not sold but it might be for you or anyone else. whatever works for ya then do it. forget the my school is better nonsense! just my two cents/

Thunder Foot

Brown Belt
Reaction score
that's undrstandable. From what I learned, the framework of Chaiya was very much akin to traditional martial arts. TMA isn't for everyone so i understand your points. If you plan on learning other styles of boran, they will most likely be similar in framework, showing the basis and concepts there in of mae mai and look mai present in some forms of modern muay.

OP
V

VASI

Orange Belt
Reaction score
chaiya has its own frame work like ya said
it is unfortunately TMA without fighting and thats not what people are telling me is da real old style stuff---
old style has sparring &prep work to fight like i heard khorat and the other styles has.
saw an old vid with the khorat kids sparring very cleanly in the old days which is difference between those styles and chaiya. time will tell as we learn more about these old styles. thats just my two cents for now.

Latest Discussions