indian clubs in burmese fight training

destructautomaton

Green Belt
Reaction score
i am really gettin into the indian clubs and iwatched the physical body 2 dvdon indian wrestling and it shows some burmese fighters training with a heavy pair of indian clubs. is this common in burma?

blackdiamondcobra

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The Burmese fighters use a variety of training methods. Some of the trainers use more older, ancient methods with simple structured workouts. Some others use intervals from station to station and others use a thai pad type of workout. I have seen a huge variety. It's also based functionally on what equipment they have. Some of trainers had nothing more than a stop watch, some had heavy bags, some had pads. No matter what they had, they trained very hard.

I was happy to see the burmese boxers using the custom made pair of indian clubs, so I asked them to demonstrate and I learned their routines. So it might not be commonly seen but certain fighters and certain trainers use them.

I also paralleled sizing up opponents which in the old way was by eye or by people wanting to fight one another. In old wrestling, they used to pair people that way as well. In some of the older tournaments or under older tournament rules, you still see that in Lethway which is cool. Its not always set up matches ahead of time. A couple of times they were short fighters and just put a call out to the audience and people came up willing and eager to fight!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't say if it's common in Burma, but the Indian Clubs have been introduced within the ABA by several people... and some of the exercises that were introduced before that using sticks, stones, and other items are very similar. I've seen videos and heard stories about Bob Hill and others using them, as well, many years ago.