Tez and Chanuck....I have a question.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Our scout troop participated at the Wreaths across America ceremony yesterday.
It was pointed out that some headstones had a star of David on them, and for that reason no wreath was placed on those graves, but a stone on the marker.

I had no idea that a wreath was considered a Christian symbol, and I realized I had no idea about the stone.
Can you guys enlighten me about that?

(and how variable is the time in which Channukka takes place? It's not set to our 'normal' calendar, is it?)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
thanks.
I did think it was a bit odd to call the greenery Christian. I do believe some of the more 'orthodox' Christian groups do not agree with them either. (although, bringing in greenery is mentioned somewhere in the old testament)

In the 2nd picture on photobucket, you can see one of the graves with the stone.
It was a very nice ceremony!

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
thanks.
I did think it was a bit odd to call the greenery Christian. I do believe some of the more 'orthodox' Christian groups do not agree with them either. (although, bringing in greenery is mentioned somewhere in the old testament)

In the 2nd picture on photobucket, you can see one of the graves with the stone.
It was a very nice ceremony!
Easter eggs, also not Christian. They didn't even bother to take the name of the goddess out of the holiday. :)

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Easter eggs, also not Christian. They didn't even bother to take the name of the goddess out of the holiday. :)
Hey, a good steal is better than a bad invention. I think in New Oxford English it's called re-branding.... You know, if you can't beat them, join them.... Considering how strong the Christian influence is, I did find it (surprising, actually) nice to acknowledge the possible ideological differences. it was a bit odd, but nicely explained.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you gotta love a website on religious matters saying the Rabbis 'concocted' the miracle of the oil! :roflmao:

You'll find some too that say differently. Many people assume Judaism is as simple as not believing in Jesus, it's not often realised how complex a religion it is and how many different Jewish thoughts there are on things. It's not as simple as 'I believe this' and that's it though there are certain things we all believe in even though you may get different reason why we believe it. I think it's probably very confusing for those who come from a more simplified religious background, one certainly that isn't used to questioning things. You will certainly find Canuck and I have different thoughts about the same things, probably some different traditions too.
I think unless you can 'swim' in Jewish waters you can quite easily drown.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You'll find some too that say differently. Many people assume Judaism is as simple as not believing in Jesus, it's not often realised how complex a religion it is and how many different Jewish thoughts there are on things. It's not as simple as 'I believe this' and that's it though there are certain things we all believe in even though you may get different reason why we believe it. I think it's probably very confusing for those who come from a more simplified religious background, one certainly that isn't used to questioning things. You will certainly find Canuck and I have different thoughts about the same things, probably some different traditions too.
I think unless you can 'swim' in Jewish waters you can quite easily drown.

I think unless you have a big floaty, you are doomed in Jewish waters.
As I gathered from Yentle (yes, I know :D) asking questions is integral part of the faith.

Asking is actively discouraged in Christianity.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score

Sorry you have found it so. In the churches I have attended, it is not discouraged. In fact usually encouraged. Answers are provided from the Bible. Of course, you are free to believe the Bible, or not. But I think you paint with a rather broad brush when you say it is actively discouraged in Christianity.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In the churches I have attended, it is not discouraged. In fact usually encouraged.

In my experience, ministers/priests/etc. are HIGHLY educated people, many with advanced degrees. They can explain their church's position on a variety of topics and give supporting doctrinal reasons for it whether sourced directly from the Bible or from some other source. My last two parish priests were exceedingly pleased whenever someone asked questions about liturgy or social issues - they saw it as an opportunity to educate and to help lead others to living loving lives.

<shrugs>

Kinda like social workers, which they are in a way. All of the social workers I know, low salary and all, have at least a master's degree.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We don't have ministers or priest, that's not what Rabbis are for. We're supposed to work it out ourselves for the most part hence the study and the arguing. Again it's more complicated than just asking and being told by a priest. That can't change anything whereas in Judaism things change.
Not a good explanation I know but I'm sure Canuck will come along and explain properly he's far more of a scholar than I am or am expected to be lol!

Yondanchris

Master Black Belt
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think unless you have a big floaty, you are doomed in Jewish waters.
As I gathered from Yentle (yes, I know :D) asking questions is integral part of the faith.

Actually those who discourage discussion are unsure of their faith and belief, I challenge my congregation to ask the hard questions of life and about the Bible every week. God gave us a brain...so let's use it!

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Actually those who discourage discussion are unsure of their faith and belief, I challenge my congregation to ask the hard questions of life and about the Bible every week. God gave us a brain...so let's use it!

glad to hear there is that, too.

But still I bet you won't find anybody describing scripture as being concogted... :)

but it was not my intention to start an 'Christianity is bad thread'

we can find out how much questioning you can tolerate in another thread. :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I quite like this explanation, perhaps I should have part of it as my signature!

http://www.beingjewish.org/magazine/spring2004/article1.html

I like this too http://www.beingjewish.com/toshuv/missionaries.html especially this bit.
"Jews study the Talmud, which is applied logic. When we believe something, when we have faith, it is because we have studied it, we have examined it, we have looked it up ourselves, we have attempted to discover if it makes sense, we have double-checked to make sure we got it right, we argued with our Rabbis to make sure we received it correctly, we check to see if it fits into everything we learn.
If we hear a new idea, we look it up and see if it makes sense. If it does not conform to what the Torah teaches us, we will not believe it. If it conforms to what the Torah teaches us, we believe in it. Why? Because we have faith."

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
gosh, look at the stone I got rolling...

:lfao:

yes, pun intended!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now you know I can't resist an argument lol!

Latest Discussions