Tested for 3rd dan :D

OP
G

Galvatron

No MDK exam for me! I'm not in the MDK!

I've got 4 years to get ready for whatever GM Pak throws at me, he's been known to make impromptu changes to the tests at will.

OP
G

Galvatron

No problemo master clay, I appreciate the congrats nonetheless! :)

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
For those out there that know nothing of TSD MDK, could you enlighten the public about the Kodanja exam? Did you take that exam? It sounds like you did and if so, whoa....that is truly a life accomplishment.

Kodanjaclay

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If you are referring to me, the MDK and schools which are derivative, have a long history of challenging Kodanja tests. Kodanja being defined as anything above fourth dan. Usually over a period of time, typically several days. Basically, we worked out butts off until the moment of the exam, and then you are tested. It tests your desire, endurance and sheer will power. To be honest, I'm more concerned about my Oh Dan because I know what is being asked, and it is a lot less that I expected. That typically means "it better be perfect, or else..."

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
For SBD MDK the Kodanja test is four days long with four hours of sleep between each day. The test is meant to drive the tester to the point exhaustion and beyond. The grandmaster himself presides over such exams. An example of the activities that occur at this test is sitting in zazen for three hours and then getting up to do jump kicks...

All testes for sa, oh, and yuk dan are gathered at a central location around the country. For chil and pal dan, tests are done privately with the grandmaster. My instructor's instructor, Master Bill Nelson, tested for Yuk Dan two years ago. Some of the stories he told were unbelievable. It was really inspiring. It also makes the two day ee dan examp I took look like a peice of cake. Whew, sam dan is looking like a mountain...sa dan looks like the sky. It will take a lot of work to attain those goals...

upnorthkyosa

Kodanjaclay

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey up. There seems to be some confusion. All the written documentation I have says that the PA hyung are required for advancement. Some of the older kodanja have told me this is not true, and that they are being phased out and replaced by the Chil Sung Hyung.

What is the truth of the matter? Are (Have) they being phased out? Are they supplemental training? What is the deal?

Thanks.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The SBD federation wants to phase them out, but many of the older Kodanja feel that the pyung ahns are too valuable to lose. I don't think they are going to go away anytime soon. Yet, they may not be Kodanja material in the future. When my instructor's instructor tested, he still did pyung ahns. That was two years ago. I don't know the current state of affairs.

OP
D

dosandojang

That would be sad if it lost its original forms. Why can't the Chil Sungs and Yuk Ros just be added to the syllabus? As for Master test, the Original Kodanja Shim Sa...I never took part in that because we were no longer with the Moo Duk Kwan. I did pass a Masters test, but it was not 8 days long.

OP
S

saja

Master Arce, When I tested for 4th Dan and any other of my Dan tests, it was not to the point exhaustion and beyond. We know we can make you exhausted, we want to see how will you can perform at your test. You get exhausted in the years of classes leading up to your test. I am not saying that it was a no nothing test I had to work hard and I did get exhausted but you get a lillte time to recover. The test took about 3 hours and it was just me on the floor. I am sure that your test was a great test.

It is great to see you over here. I just got here myself. Look forward to talking to you.

Tang Soo!

Master King

OP
S

saja

Great job on your test. Keep up the good work and do not let anything get in your way from training.

Tang Soo!

Latest Discussions