test cutting on rattan?

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Kabuto wari was not performed within the Japanese sword arts. Kabuto wari was traditionally performed by professional sword testers specifically to test the durability of a particular smith's sword. These were the same sword testers that performed the various cuts on cadavers that can be found inscribed on a few shinken.
Which is one of the several valid kinds of test cutting. :)

Very interesting read, thanks!

I guess it's all in what a person's training involves, and in how they're trained. As one of my instructors was fond of saying ... "It's all good!"
Yup. Not every kind of test cutting is intended to practice that one perfect cut. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yup. Not every kind of test cutting is intended to practice that one perfect cut.

Indeed. Sometimes it's just to see if a particular cut will work at all. Got to test my Kriegsmesser using new striking mechanics on a water-filled protein powder jug.

Best regards,

-Mark

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Indeed. Sometimes it's just to see if a particular cut will work at all. Got to test my Kriegsmesser using new striking mechanics on a water-filled protein powder jug.
Touchdown!!!
Yes. Reason number four:

Closely related to testing the person cutting, is the fourth reason: test the technique. This is very much embraced as a modern research mechanism by martial enthusiasts and historians who are separated from the opportunity to "try it out for real." It is used as a mechanism of validating or invalidating techniques or interpretations of techniques. This is particularly important for for researchers who are attempting to revive or recreate martial systems for which there is no longer a living lineage but is only represented in historic documents. The European knightly traditions of Leichtenauer and Fiore de Liberi are examples of this."

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Latest Discussions