Tell me about your first day of training..

Discussion in 'Beginners Corner' started by Lisa, May 31, 2006.

1. gpseymour

gpseymour MT Moderator Staff Member

• Supporting Member
    Then welcome to the addiction.

2. dvcochran

dvcochran Grandmaster

Welcome to the forum. Us older guys have to stick together. Very good that you recognized the left and right. There is quite a lot of repetition so a good goal to work on is challenging yourself. Just like target practice and hunting, it take a lot of rounds and repetition. Well, hopefully the hunting doesn't take a lot of rounds.;) Keep us in the loop.

3. Marlene Morga

Marlene Morga White Belt

My first day of martial arts class at the local college was awesome. I remember waking up at 4 in the morning to catch the 6am bus to travel two cities to the campus. Once I got there, I was so nervous and excited; then, at the same time that I caught sight of a poster which showed the question: What are you looking for? and a few words that made me think for a moment. I finally selected the sheet of paper that held the word: Direction. And as I walked into the gymnasium, I realized that I was there early. Except for a particularly serious red belt martial artist that was kind enough to introduce himself to me. We shook hands and then we spoke for a while as to why we were all taking martial arts. So then, I decided to clean up the gymnasium using a broom and a floor mop to sweep up the gym, and believe me, you'd never guess to find little bolts and metal and dust from who knows how it got there. So it became a daily thing, cleaning up the dojo or training hall, as I called it. As for the red belt martial artist, he's my mentor now. And even though it was tough luck for me that I never got a thank you for the floor sweeping from the other students, but when I trained with them all, it was worth the sweeping. Seeing their courage made me want to keep practicing martial arts. Even if the simplest things get overlooked, it's the will to do something good that counts.

4. Buka

Buka Sr. Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    Hi Marlene! Welcome to Martial Talk, hope you enjoy it.

Just keep going to class. And make sure it doesn't get in the way of your studies.

And if I may be so bold to give some fatherly advice, make sure your red belt mentor stays just that and only that.

Enjoy the process of learning and please keep us posted.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Marlene Morga

Marlene Morga White Belt

Yes, sir. Thank you.

6. gpseymour

gpseymour MT Moderator Staff Member

• Supporting Member
    Good advice from one of the wisest people on this forum.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Syeed Ali

Syeed Ali White Belt

If I recall correctly, my first class had a warmup that involved running around the edges of the room doing breathwork.

I couldn't keep up, and excused myself to lay down panting in the next room. There was a moment when I had to decide to either give up or get up.

When I returned, nobody batted an eye and it was never brought up at any point in the future. That's why I continued training.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Buka

Buka Sr. Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    What a great post. And similar to my first training days.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Monkey Turned Wolf

Monkey Turned Wolf MT Moderator Staff Member

I've experienced similar after a while away and trying out a new place. You need that break when you're getting back into it, everyone's experienced it at some point, so no one cares.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. GordonnotRamsay

GordonnotRamsay White Belt

Confusing. Not really sure about the relevance of certain exercises. Looking back, they were all worth it. I still do some of the most basic stances to this day on my own.

11. GordonnotRamsay

GordonnotRamsay White Belt

I can't really forget about the things that happen during my first day of training. It is actually one of the most embarrassing moments that I have encountered haha. I am still new so I did not know any body. So, I just sat in my seat in silence and wait for my immediate supervisor to call me. It was really weird because I was feeling fine but I suddenly felt something in my stomach. While walking together with my supervisor, I felt that a fart will suddenly burst out. I am not wrong. I just want to disappear when my fart sounded like someone popped a balloon haha!

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Harry Flannagan

Harry Flannagan White Belt

I remember my first day training, the son of our coach was a bit cocky (blue belt) kept mocking my kicks and I was having a hard time, like come on that was my first day and what made it worst I accidentally kicked him on his stomach -_-

13. minn8325

minn8325 Yellow Belt

I got choked out123