Tell me about your first day of training..

Discussion in 'Beginners Corner' started by Lisa, May 31, 2006.

1. Brmty2002

Brmty2002 Orange Belt

There is no such thing as a silly question. Ask away!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Professor Random

Professor Random Yellow Belt

HAAA So for some reason I've seen this thread many times but when I saw it this time it reminded me of what really happened on my first day and not what I thought it was:

So it was January 21st, 2013. The reason I remember it was because I started on my birthday. (I was like turning 12 or something) So I went out to eat with some friends at like 4:00 and the classes started at 6:00 so my mom told me to bring a bag with my uniform so I can change at the restaurant and then go straight to the dojang. Well I didn't get changed at the restaurant, and I was sitting in the car asking where we were going and they said to taekwondo and I'm like "oh crap I forgot to get changed" and they said to change in the car, but there were people in the car, and like I'm not about to get changed with friends (boys and girls) in the car. So I just took off my shirt and put the top on, but for my pants I just slid my white pants over my jeans I was wearing and I did my whole first class with jeans under my white pants :facepalm:. When I got to the dojang (I had never even done anything sport related so I knew nothing about it) there was a locker room where you could get changed but since I arrived late I had to get in the as fast I as I could go. I'm 90% sure my teacher noticed that I was wearing a pair of jeans and the normal uniform pants that they wear, but he never mentioned it the full 5 years I did taekwondo there. I moved recently and left that bad memory behind till I saw this post.

3. AngryHobbit

AngryHobbit Black Belt

I started training in 2004, at the age of 29. I had an informal intro by my then-boyfriend (now husband) - so I knew fairly well what to expect. I actually walked away with a few fairly useful self-defense tools in my pocket: choke defenses, wrist breaks, and I think at least one bear-hug defense. I had my falls and rolls from seated position. And I came home and immediately went to work on shortening my gi pants and sleeves - I had to roll my pant legs like five times to keep them from dragging on the ground. :)

What took me some getting used to is learning how to strike properly. "You are too nice!" was one of the things I continued hearing from day one and for a long time from the start of my training. I am still working on that one - after all that time.

4. gpseymour

gpseymour Sr. Grandmaster

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    Now, you're too nice to sticks. :p

5. AngryHobbit

AngryHobbit Black Belt

Yes, I keep wanting to land them on a nice, soft, cushy human arm. You know - to avoid denting them. I also feel TERRIBLE about pounding the poor punching bag like that. I'll have to buy it chocolates or something.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. themartialartsgirl

themartialartsgirl White Belt

Hi all! I'm new here. I've been doing various martial arts for the last 25 years. On my first day of karate as a very small 6 year old, my new sensei approached me and told me I was in the wrong class and that the peewee class started an hour ago. I very confidently told him that my mom told me this was my class and so I was staying. I refused to train with the peewees and throughout my time in karate that story would always come back up.

More recently I joined a BJJ academy. I've never been fond of grappling, I even found it hard to watch my cousin's wrestling matches growing up. I knew this was a weak spot in my martial arts though, so I forced myself to try it. My first day we were learning a technique that had you step over the person and pretty much have your butt on their face. Hello jiu jitsu, nice to meet you. I was not very into bjj for the first couple weeks, and I found it surprisingly challenging to catch on to. Now it has been about 6 months and I'm hopelessly addicted.

I've also studied JKD and Tai Chi for a good number of years, and Systema briefly. Sadly I don't really remember the first days.

• Like Like x 1
  7. gpseymour

gpseymour Sr. Grandmaster

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    Welcome to MT. You’ll find good folks here to share ideas, bicker, commiserate, and laugh with. Sometimes all at the same time.

• Like Like x 1