Teen Sues Over Confederate Flag Prom Dress

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

How about the fact that you had a very concerned President and Vice President who felt that the states should stay United. (Lincoln and Johnson).

Regards, Gary

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

Slavery has been around since the dawn of time. If you look at the History of man it does not matter which culture, there was a form of slavery.

The Arabs were big time slave traders. Same with the Chinese. If you really look at the way Church's and Military are run it is similar only there is a ladder you can climb.

Regards, Gary

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have not seen any new news stories concerning Ms. Duty. There was the initial press release on or about 12/21, a follow-up photo op, with Ms. Duty in the dress (gee, that sounds funny, doesn't it?) on 12/22 or 12/23.

I saw the Southern Party of Georgia had a link message dated 12/17.

I can't find a web site for Russell High School in Lexington Kentucky, nor can I find an official response from them.

If anyone can find any new information, a link would be appreciated.

Mike

R

rmcrobertson

1. Sigh.

2. One did not argue at any time that the War was only about slavery for either side. One argued that the South in particular believed it was fighting to maintain slavery as one of its property owners' fundamental rights; one suggested, but did not argue in detail, that the North, a) used slavery as an issue, b) ended up (following Catton's thesis) finding out that the War had far more radical consequences than it intended.

3. When we see the maintenance of a claim about ideas that runs contrary to one's specific, repeated statements (or, in the case of discussing Southern motives, in direct defiance of explicit, repeated, passionately held expressions of belief), it is always useful to search for explanations. At times, it may be that somebody's unconscious has got the better of them--as we often see in paranoiac constrctions such as, "the Jews have taken over America," and a closely-related claim, "the liberal media has taken over America." At other times, it may very be that the refusal to read well stems from a refusal to reconsider deeply held, ideologically-reinforced beliefs--such as the recurrent belief that it is, at present, "white men," who suffer most from racism and gender discrimination in America. Here, the claim that, "Robert says it was all about slavery," helps to a) reduce the historical complexity of the argument, b) reinforce a theory about present-day America that cannot be sustained by fact.

4. Like others, one would love to know who Ms. Duty is. One's own paranoiac suspicion that this is one among many recent examples of, "individual," acts of very right-wing protest that are in fact created, developed and supported by very right-wing groups.

someguy

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I figure I should say somethin about this here confederate flag.
It means differnt things to differnt people.
I'm proud of the south. I don't really get the whole whee lookie a confederate flag thing myself. But I do understand southern pride. Not that I done expect y'all to understand it...d***yankees
Hmm don't know if that first half of that word is cencored here or not. wait to yankees its the first word.
Now about this girl wearing a flag dress thingie. Well It is a symbol. It can mean more than one thing. It depends on who you are. I doubt it had anything to do with haterd bigotry or anything like that for her to wear it to her prom. It is her prom after all.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
I would still say that everyone has a right to feel what they feel about St. Andrew's cross (The stars and bars was a different flag), but, ultimately, the flag truly belongs to those that were there, at that point of time, fighting, bleeding and dying for it.

R

rmcrobertson

Right. Girl shows up at a ball wearing a Confederate flag, and she had no notion of making a statement. Nor did her immediately being invited to be the guest of honor at the Jefferson Davis Ball (guess they thought holding the Martin Bormann Ball would be in poor taste) mean a darn thing.

But one loved the question about what the date was wearing. God send, given the fetishization of fake normalcy behind the Flag bit, that the date was a woman...preferably African-American.

That, one could respect.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
rmcrobertson said:
Right. Girl shows up at a ball wearing a Confederate flag, and she had no notion of making a statement.
Actually, Ms. Duty had every idea that the dress was going to create a ruckus. The principal of the school (Russell High School), a Mr. Black (or Back, in some reports) called her the night before the prom and told her not to come to the dance in that dress.

I am still searching for articles about this incident newer than December 17 - 23.

Mike

P.S. This article, a letter from Ms. Duty, indicates that she has forewarning that the dress would not be allowed.
http://www.slrc-csa.org/letters/rebflagdress.htm

R

rmcrobertson

This is from the SLRC website; it's part of a speech given by H.K. Edgerton, already cited several times on this thread--the black guy who claims to have walked some 1500 miles through the South, wearing a Confederate uniform and bearing their Flag. In the speech, he argues for having Southerners defionedas a separate ethnic and cultural minority--"We have our own cuisine," he says--and he also says this about the Civil War:

"As an honorary Texan I am especially proud that thousands of black men and black women served humbly, but honorably, in a variety of ways to further the Confederate war effort, alongside their fellow white Texans.

Accompanying their master to war, protecting the farms and plantations and keeping them functioning to raise foodstuffs for armies and civilians, serving on the coastal waters as seamen, working in the blacksmith shops, manning the new factories, armories and foundry’s to make the implements of war, working in the hospitals to succor the wounded and dying, performing back-breaking hard labor for the Confederate Engineer Corps to build the Texas coastal fortifications that kept the Yankees at bay for 4 years.

In almost any labor vacuum created by the war in Texas, black men and women stood ready to fill.

Many of them slaves, some free, all willing to serve Texas and the Confederacy – with no explicit demand for emancipation

The black people of Texas knew that eventually freedom would come and that loyalty and hard work would secure the double reward of independence and freedom.

Right up until 1865 we, the people of Texas, and the South … black & white… were family. It took the horrible years of Reconstruction and all the wiles of the carpetbaggers and scalawags to divide black and white. And in many cases, tragically, they succeeded.

To this hollow triumph, the North embittered race relations in the South up to the present day, the present hour.

But, as most of you know, the North and its minions did not entirely succeed. Despite all the obstacles, the pressure, the trials, many Southern whites and Southern blacks, in Texas and throughout the South, were able to maintain the close family relationship that existed before the war.

Every man, woman and child in the South, black or white, knows the truth of this statement, and those that say different are liars.

So let’s let it all hang out. Morris Dees, if you are listening, write this down:

A great deal of love existed between master and slave, black and white, before the war – i.e. while slavery was the law of the land.

Do you want me to say it again?

A great deal of love existed between master and slave, black and white, before the war. It is a fact, a solid fact and editing and re-editing the slave narratives will not erase that fact.

Love existed between master and slave. We were family, black and white.

Neither were Southern white people solely responsible for the institution of slavery!"

No doubt them happy, happy slaves was a-doin' the buck-and-wing at every opportunity. And given the propensity of white owners to treat black women as sex slaves, one can only stare in awe at the, "Love existed between master and slave," remark.

These are the guys who are pushing the "white men are oppressed," bit, as well as the, "Southern liberation," jazz.

For sheer looniness, it's hard to eclipse this one, at least this side of Sun Myung Moon.

"Old times are not forgotten,
Whuppin' slaves and choppin' cotton,
And waiting for the Robert E. Lee...
It was never there on time."

---Tom Lehrer, "My Old Kentucky Home"

"In America, you'll get food to eat
Won't have to run through the jungle
And scuff up your feet
You'll just sing about Jesus and drink wine all day
It's great to be an American"

---Randy Newman, "Sail Away"

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok, so we've established that Bob is a racist, as is anyone not burning Confederate flags at every opportunity. I think our next target should be the color grey. In fact, I'm calling for a ban on grey uniforms for law enforcement officials, as they evoke memories of that nasty, racist Confederate army. :rolleyes:

Jeff

P

PeachMonkey

Kreth said:
Ok, so we've established that Bob is a racist, as is anyone not burning Confederate flags at every opportunity.
Can you point out where in the 10+ pages of this thread where someone accused Bob of being a racist? Thanks.

M

MisterMike

Kreth said:
Ok, so we've established that Bob is a racist, as is anyone not burning Confederate flags at every opportunity. I think our next target should be the color grey. In fact, I'm calling for a ban on grey uniforms for law enforcement officials, as they evoke memories of that nasty, racist Confederate army. :rolleyes:

Jeff

I think we should drop the state name "Alabama" and come up with something less hurtfull. :rolleyes:

P

PeachMonkey

MisterMike said:
I think we should drop the state name "Alabama" and come up with something less hurtfull. :rolleyes:
How about "WhiteHeritageLand"?

P

PeachMonkey

Feisty Mouse said:
With a name like that, they'd have to have rides, too.
I'm sure they could come up with exciting theme parks celebrating the joys of State's Rights, and showing the Happy Lives led by the slaves that actually enjoyed the Stainless Banner.

Animatronic, Well Cared-For Field Slaves could delight visitors with musical numbers as they wisked from scene to scene demonstrating the Gentlemanly Delights of Confederate Life.

Latest Discussions