Teaching Taekwondo to beginners over the age of 40

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
To me, pushups, squats, and cardio don't require stretching, so I personally would not disagree with the instructor on the lack of stretching before those. I am very wary, however, of high kicks at the beginning of the class if I haven't tested my flexibility that day (by doing a few moderate rising kicks for instance or side straddle).

Some think that you really need to get warmed up before stretching. Personally, I think that the data is mixed.

In my TKD class though, there is no stretching at the beginning of class . . . only at the end.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just a sampling of a normal pre-stretch ritual...

Arm Windmills.
Arm across the body, both arms
Arm over head and touching back, both arms
Head rotations
Hip rotations
Knee roations
Standing spread legs stretch down the middle
Grab an ankle, nose to knee... switch
Squat stretches
Stretching from a lunge position, both legs
Regular Splits
Knee bent, leg stretched out to the side, switch
Sitting stretches, heels pulled into crotch, then halfway out
Legs out straight, grab toes, nose to knees
Standing stretch kicks, keep leg straight and kick above head

There are others and variances on the ones I listed above... but this is a good sampling.

That seems like a good warmup, nice and dynamic (except for the seated stretches). Given that you refer to this as a "pre-stretch" what do you then do for stretching?

OP
lifespantkd

lifespantkd

Blue Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stretching protocols to accomplish different purposes--and the research supporting the rationale behind them--can be found in Stretching Scientifically by Thomas Kurz. It explains what outcomes various types of stretching are useful for and when in a workout different types of stretching exercises are best placed. Ultimate Fitness Through Martial Arts by Sang H. Kim is also a good resource.

Cynthia

TKDinAK

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Sorry... I meant pre-class stretch... as opposed to post-class. We sometimes do post-class stretches, but only after a very strenuous session. My instructor does always suggest we stay after and stretch, though.

I have no other experience with formal stretching techniques than what I have learned in class... but I do feel like I am thoroughly stretched and ready for whatever is thrown at me.

Last edited:

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'll second the Kurz book. After becoming aware of it through this board (Thanks, MT!) I read it and gradually changed how we stretch and warm up in my karate school. I saw real flexibility breakthroughs in the students that adopted the suggestions seriously, and I wish I had had access to such information when I was a beginner.

OP
lifespantkd

lifespantkd

Blue Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll second the Kurz book. After becoming aware of it through this board (Thanks, MT!) I read it and gradually changed how we stretch and warm up in my karate school. I saw real flexibility breakthroughs in the students that adopted the suggestions seriously, and I wish I had had access to such information when I was a beginner.

I see flexibility breakthroughs, too. Nothing like a research-based approach reflecting what actually works based on human physiology instead of something along the lines of "what we've always done."

Cynthia

Latest Discussions