Teaching my Kid the Proper Way to Play Pattycake (Wing Chun)

HW1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
As with every skill, the fastest way to learn is to turn it into play. Make it fun and they will absorb the knowledge faster than using traditional forms of teaching.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Nice! My kids never like it when I throw them. Maybe I need to learn a more family friendly art.

Reactions: HW1

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As with every skill, the fastest way to learn is to turn it into play. Make it fun and they will absorb the knowledge faster than using traditional forms of teaching.

I'm an outsider to WC, so I'm a bit in the dark here. How is that more "play" than "traditional forms of teaching"?

OP
H

HW1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm an outsider to WC, so I'm a bit in the dark here. How is that more "play" than "traditional forms of teaching"?
It's how I introduce concepts and techniques to her. I present it as a game or a challenge as in "Can you copy what I do?" or "I wanna see how fast you can trap my arms and get me." No pressure to learn anything, just have fun. Achievements and improvements receive praise and mistakes are celebrated (as in the end of the video where you accidentally gave me a high-five.) That's it. Like a video game, if you mess up, start from your last checkpoint.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's how I introduce concepts and techniques to her. I present it as a game or a challenge as in "Can you copy what I do?" or "I wanna see how fast you can trap my arms and get me." No pressure to learn anything, just have fun. Achievements and improvements receive praise and mistakes are celebrated (as in the end of the video where you accidentally gave me a high-five.) That's it. Like a video game, if you mess up, start from your last checkpoint.
That's not far outside some of my training experiences, in how TMA often teach kids, and (with a bit less "game" to it) how many teach adults, too. Copy what I do, now try this thing and let's get it faster. Good training tools.

Latest Discussions