Teacher/Student Relationship

R

RCastillo

A question here, As a 47 year old, and a 3rd Dan, how important is it to keep visiting your teacher?

My Instructor has said that as an adult, we are responsible for continued learning on our own, such as the Patterns. Of course, he will correct me as he sees me, and ok, I can see that part. If one is really learning nothing new, and is expected to travel distances to work at tounements (in order to advance), attend seminars (nothing new there also), and expected to pick up a Class "A" referee ceritfication to work at International, as well as domestic tournys,(also required for promotion) should the relationship be as strong if the student is doing much of the giving, and receiving little?

It's not rewards I seek, and it might be nice to climb up the ladder somewhere along the line.
Though, we can do little in terms of the way things are structured, such as promotions, and the like. (They control all)

I am also 500 miles away, and it can be expensive for travel. Their fees/expenses are costly, though I know no one does it for nothing.

I enjoy the art, but wonder where I am on this journey.

Your opinions appreciated. Thanks:asian:

Latest Discussions