te waza too fiddly?

Devin

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm not an experienced aikidoka by any means, but it looks to me like the various joint lock and throw techniques we do like shiho nage and kote gaeshi are very difficult to apply on a resisting opponent. Especially one who retracts their fist after throwing a punch.

A major problem I find when doing randori is that when a person does a body shift to take me off balance I can just step in and hit them. This follow up attack is especially effective because their hands are busy dealing with the arm I attacked with first.

Does anyone else find this to be true? Are the body to body techniques like irimi nage and do gaeshi a better choice for dealing with punches?

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Devin said:
I'm not an experienced aikidoka by any means, but it looks to me like the various joint lock and throw techniques we do like shiho nage and kote gaeshi are very difficult to apply on a resisting opponent. Especially one who retracts their fist after throwing a punch.
Hey Devin-san :)

It is all good that you are practising with resisting opponents because only this way will show you that the tech is working. OK so at the minute you're finding it difficult, you say you're inexperienced, this is ok, don't be getting too concerned. You picked a good one in shiho nage or the four-directions throw because that will show up your weaknesses better than many other techs. Thing to always remember is to move YOURSELF not your opponent. If uke is resisting then you must move around in such a way that he cannot resist you - never try to force because one day there'll be someone bigger or stronger who can't be strongarmed! The rotation is the key! For shiho nage, move yourself around, leave his hand EXACTLY where it is and you will find by YOUR movement, he has absolutely no choice in the matter and will begin to move back with you and off balance. If it helps, keep your two hands together to give you the picture of the circle you are making. Keep on moving around and don't be afraid to go too far just so long as you are facing his back at which stage you should be lowering your centre, moving under his arm and dropping him straight back.

Kote gaeshi is the same. If your uke is not moving then it is not your lack of strength or force - believe me, I know. Once the kote gaeshi is on properly, there's not a thing your opponent can do to resist short of voluntarily breaking their wrist, LOL. Nope, it's because you prolly haven't got sufficient rotation and direction on uke's wrist. My advice for this would be quite simply to practise on yourself since kote gaeshi is after a form of wrist stretching exercise - while your left hand is getting rotated and gets a nice stretch, the right hand is actively practising the correct kote gaeshi hold. Practise, practise!! And don't be disheartened! Trust me, soon, very soon, it will just "click" and switch on the little light in your head that'll probably illuminate a lot of other stuff too.

My my, I've come over all serious and preachy, ha! That'll not do, I'm off for some cake :)

Good luck and practise! practise! Build your Aikido little by little and your adaptability to punches and improvisation during randori will come soon enough :)

Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

OP
D

Devin

White Belt
Reaction score
I was just using those techniques as examples. I'm wondering if you can really expect to even get into position for kote gaeshi or robuse (for example) with an opponent who will simply step every time you do a body shift to get unbalancing.

For example, I punch at someone, they deflect the attack, secure my hand, and step sideways to unbalance me.

And I turn and step as they move. Bam, perfect position to sucker punch.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Devin said:
I was just using those techniques as examples. I'm wondering if you can really expect to even get into position for kote gaeshi or robuse (for example) with an opponent who will simply step every time you do a body shift to get unbalancing.

For example, I punch at someone, they deflect the attack, secure my hand, and step sideways to unbalance me.

Devin,

I am not a pratictioner of Aikido, but I do practice Joint locks. In a fist fight it is hard to pull them off, but if you have never tried, it is even harder. But, I have pulled off more on people who wanted to wrestle or were int eh flow of other things and left their fingers or wrist exposed for attack.

I would recommend practicing first to understand the basic motions of the technique. Then understand how the person moves to get out of it, by having them move slowly so you can feel it. Then increase the resistance. The big issue is that if you know the counter as to their resistance or counter then you can try to execute your counter as well in the similiar fashion in a controller slow motion to unerstand the movement.

Good luck

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
Devin said:

Aikido and Aiki Jujutsu on their pure forms is to fight against commited attacks. Full power shomen and tsuki. Not jab-retract-jab-retract attacks like western boxing. To deal with such retracting punch, add some karate and/or JKD kicking on your repertoire. Better yet, study grappling so you can get close and take them down. On the other hand, Aikido/Aiki Jujutsu finger locks will do wonders during a grappling situations :) The moral of the story is, the more well rounded you are, the better ;)

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Devin said:

Hey Devin san :)

Yes of course I expect to be in position. If he wants to strike me or lay his hands on me then he has to come get me. As soon as he moves to impel his hand towards me as a strike then that is my target. Without wanting to be cheeky or condescending, I think you have a few things that you might like to speak with your sensei or senior students about: distance awareness, speed of anticipation and speed of footwork but these are all easily rectified with practise if someone can pin down where your current weakness lies. All good though and once it is "diagnosed" then other pieces of the jigsaw will fit also!!

If your opponent is moving then watch for their weak line - aikidoka or not, no one is flawlessly grounded especially when moving around. You remember exploitation of the weak line from your shomen uchi beginnings I am sure.

If you let me, I would suggest two things.....
1.--- If you are getting caught by the sucker punch AS AN OPENER then your anticipation maybe isn't as good as it will get for you - and I am sorry I am not certain how long you have been training but that will come. There are subtle clues in your opponent's stance - if he takes a side-on boxer's stance and his weight is to his back leg then either the punch (hook) is coming from THAT side or a side kick from THAT side or a front kick or snap kick from the OTHER side. Likewise if his weight is to the front leg then there's a jab coming from THAT side. Awareness of subtleties is key to anticipation here. But in any case, you need to ensure you are OUT of his range until he commits. Move on his intention and don't wait for it and yeah ANY appropriate technique should work, the dependency is usually on start positions and where you want to put him - especially if you are doing randori with multiple opponents where having control of one acts as a buffer between you and the others.

2. --- If you are getting caught by the sucker punch when you are IN THE MIDDLE OF your technique then yes, that suggests that you may have either chosen an inappropriate technique OR you have STOPPED moving. If you have control of him and are moving him around then his options should be limited to what you let him do. Never stop moving whether you are engaged or not.

I know this sounds very theoretical and I am wondering if your opponent for your randori is going full out when you might learn more from doing the "zombie" exercise?? I'm not sure if you've ever done that - it's a right laugh actually where your opponent or opponents come atcha like zombies slow but with intent but this exercise gives you a better chance to anticipate the strike, to see it coming and to neutralise it. Anyway I sound like I'm mad now but only sometimes, ha!

You be good,
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
Devin,

I am not a pratictioner of Aikido, but I do practice Joint locks. In a fist fight it is hard to pull them off, but if you have never tried, it is even harder. But, I have pulled off more on people who wanted to wrestle or were int eh flow of other things and left their fingers or wrist exposed for attack.

I would recommend practicing first to understand the basic motions of the technique. Then understand how the person moves to get out of it, by having them move slowly so you can feel it. Then increase the resistance. The big issue is that if you know the counter as to their resistance or counter then you can try to execute your counter as well in the similiar fashion in a controller slow motion to unerstand the movement.

Good luck
Hey big Rich :)
Yes, this is exactly what I am trying to say but using far too many characters and broadband to say it :)

Aikido is odd sometimes because it cannot be adequately understood from lecture or reading. It has to be FELT. A tech must be FELT for the aikidoka to know that it is right. And I wonder if Devin's randori is full out to give any impression for the feel of a technique.

Anyway, I see Devin is from the Yoshinkan school so he'd know way more tham me about getting HIT!! LOL :D Striking isn't a great part of my Aikido make up so what do I know anyway? I'm off to be a zombie instead *undead groan*

Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

samurai69

Blue Belt
Reaction score
A technique is only applied to the relevant attack

In class we train all techniques from all attacks on all shapes of attacker, but in reality a shiho may not be the best defence for a shomen attack (maybe not the best example)

In a street type fight it is un-likely to go up against a jab type attack (unless they are a trained boxer, and even then probably not).

my wife is 5', and i have a student of 6'5" and though we train all techniques from all attacks.......some would not be practical for either training with each other.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think part of the problem with getting caught with the sucker punch from a resisting uke is that once uke feels the technique being set up (and as an aikido-ka he'll know what's coming while someone on the street won't) he is adding resistance a little at a time, nage gets focused on the technique at hand (ha!) and gets a bit of tunnel vision. Once I've made contact with the initial attacking hand I don't have to be concentrating on that extremety any more. Keep an eye on the rest of uke's weapons and feel for him to build up for the sucker punch. Allow your training to simply take over with the initial technique while you scan all the input uke is giving you during the technique.

Sorry if this post seems a bit disjointed. I made it all through winter without getting sick once but now that spring is here my beloved decided that sharing everything meant her chest and sinus cold as well. My head feels about the size of the Hindenburg right now.:erg:

MartialIntent

Black Belt
Reaction score
jujutsu_indonesia said:
Aikido and Aiki Jujutsu on their pure forms is to fight against commited attacks. Full power shomen and tsuki. Not jab-retract-jab-retract attacks like western boxing. To deal with such retracting punch, add some karate and/or JKD kicking on your repertoire. Better yet, study grappling so you can get close and take them down. On the other hand, Aikido/Aiki Jujutsu finger locks will do wonders during a grappling situations :) The moral of the story is, the more well rounded you are, the better ;)
I have to take you up on this, not to be argumentative but just to restate my humble opinion that Aikido doesn't *need* supplementary techniques to make it a "rounded" art. While there is certainly merit in the aikidoka training against a karateka or at least training against another aikidoka simulating karate or boxing strikes [a good idea for ANY aikidoka] there is in my opinion no need to add-on extra non-Aikido techs to make the practitioner more competent. Instead of studying grappling, I would always advocate that the aikidoka work on their awareness to the potential for grappling drops so they are not put in the position. After all, isn't this what Aikido is about? And why we do no direct blocking of incoming strikes?

If the practitioner *likes* his or her Aikido and is happy doing it, ain't no need to go supplementing. It's a complete package right there already you just have to look at it with a bit more of an open mind and think about the application a little more laterally sometimes. Persevere on the same path rather than hopping off at every junction to see what's down there.

Respects!

OP
D

Devin

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies all,

"2. --- If you are getting caught by the sucker punch when you are IN THE MIDDLE OF your technique then yes, that suggests that you may have either chosen an inappropriate technique OR you have STOPPED moving. If you have control of him and are moving him around then his options should be limited to what you let him do. Never stop moving whether you are engaged or not."

The sucker punching happens in the middle of the technique (a strike first policy in randori helps me avoid being caught flat-footed). I don't pull of the punch because my partner stops, but rather because I catch up to them.

Does this mean they should move faster? I have a hunch that isn't the case, as moving too fast initially fouls up the technique. I guess the nage must be sensitive enough to the uke to speed up as they do, but that's a very, very hard thing to do.

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Devin said:

"2. --- If you are getting caught by the sucker punch when you are IN THE MIDDLE OF your technique then yes, that suggests that you may have either chosen an inappropriate technique OR you have STOPPED moving. If you have control of him and are moving him around then his options should be limited to what you let him do. Never stop moving whether you are engaged or not."

The sucker punching happens in the middle of the technique (a strike first policy in randori helps me avoid being caught flat-footed). I don't pull of the punch because my partner stops, but rather because I catch up to them.

Does this mean they should move faster? I have a hunch that isn't the case, as moving too fast initially fouls up the technique. I guess the nage must be sensitive enough to the uke to speed up as they do, but that's a very, very hard thing to do.

It's not just at question of moving fast or slow. But other parameteres fit in: Timing, maai, atemi and the such. If your positioning yourself for a suckerpunch (or what ever). I would state that your doing the tehcnique wrong. you've got to remember that a technique isn't just at question on how the arms and legs move, but also in relation to uke(opponent).

/Yari

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Devin said:

Hey Devin san :)

I have to agree with Yari above, there are many variables and as you say sensitivity is a difficult thing to capture. There are many Aikido exercises to help develop that sensitivity to your opponent's movements and I am sure you have practised already "pushing hands" or wrist-to-wrist techniques etc.

My knowledge of your style is lacking which is why I am not being more specific. Maybe if you could explain the goal of your randori that will I am certain help me to explain better :)

I will admit to a complete unfamiliarity with your Yoshinkan randori as it sounds more competitive, like sparring, is this correct? Are you not training solely defensively but rather on a "scoring" basis? Apologies for my ignorance but I would be interested sincerely in knowing. Oh yeah - seeker of knowledge me, for real, ha! :)

Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
MartialIntent said:
I have to take you up on this, not to be argumentative but just to restate my humble opinion that Aikido doesn't *need* supplementary techniques to make it a "rounded" art. While there is certainly merit in the aikidoka training against a karateka or at least training against another aikidoka simulating karate or boxing strikes [a good idea for ANY aikidoka] there is in my opinion no need to add-on extra non-Aikido techs to make the practitioner more competent. Instead of studying grappling, I would always advocate that the aikidoka work on their awareness to the potential for grappling drops so they are not put in the position. After all, isn't this what Aikido is about? And why we do no direct blocking of incoming strikes?

If the practitioner *likes* his or her Aikido and is happy doing it, ain't no need to go supplementing. It's a complete package right there already you just have to look at it with a bit more of an open mind and think about the application a little more laterally sometimes. Persevere on the same path rather than hopping off at every junction to see what's down there.

Respects!

Points taken my friend :)

I think our mindset is rather different from the start. I am glad if anyone decided to study their Aiki art very hard & be able to become much better, well-rounded practitioner.

However, I am at heart a crosstrainer. My main art is Karate (Goju and Wado), then I discovered that the Jujutsu/Aiki Jujutsu that I learned from Ben Haryo sensei is a wonderful art, and the Aikido I learned (briefly!) from Mr. Huang is a wonderful art with an excellent personal philosophy of love and harmony.

To put it in another way, I am an Asian, I eat rice and soybean, but every now and then I eat meat and potato too :) I know that rice and soybean already contains all nutrients I need, but it is nice to eat a little steak every now and then, to add spice and variety in my life ;)

MartialIntent

Black Belt
Reaction score
jujutsu_indonesia said:
Points taken my friend :)

I think our mindset is rather different from the start. I am glad if anyone decided to study their Aiki art very hard & be able to become much better, well-rounded practitioner.

However, I am at heart a crosstrainer. My main art is Karate (Goju and Wado), then I discovered that the Jujutsu/Aiki Jujutsu that I learned from Ben Haryo sensei is a wonderful art, and the Aikido I learned (briefly!) from Mr. Huang is a wonderful art with an excellent personal philosophy of love and harmony.

To put it in another way, I am an Asian, I eat rice and soybean, but every now and then I eat meat and potato too :) I know that rice and soybean already contains all nutrients I need, but it is nice to eat a little steak every now and then, to add spice and variety in my life ;)
While I certainly believe cross training has its merits, I think the student has to keep in mind the risk that they will become a practitioner of an incohesive "art" using a bit of this and a bit of that and a bit of the other. What I mean is that your Goju Ryu, Wado Ryu or Jujutsu are full and complete arts in themselves. And rather than supplementing the "weak" areas of the one with "strong" areas of the other, why not work on the "weak" areas within the art itself ? I mean, there's nothing wrong with sampling another art - sample them all I say but not if it's to plug up the gaps in your main art, I think that's where confusion arises. I have seen Aikido students do bong sau and various blocks when they should have been going for irimi or whatever. I just think cross training and trying to shove it into one's art is awkward at best and dilutes the essence of the art at worst.

Sorry, I know I'm covering old ground again but I really believe in the wholeness and completeness of an art.

I like your analogy of the rice and the steak... that works! But then I'm certain you've never had to defend yourself on the street with a bowl of rice and soybeans! LOL :) Only joking!

Respects!

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Devin said:

It's all irrelevant if you're talking about a real sucker punch. You won't see it, you'll just feel it. It usually opens up an attack, not ocurring in the middle of one.

MartialIntent

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hand Sword said:
It's all irrelevant if you're talking about a real sucker punch. You won't see it, you'll just feel it. It usually opens up an attack, not ocurring in the middle of one.
Not so necessarily HS. Striking arts are very much cyclical in-strike-out but because Aikido techniques are often longer - if I've got the lock on you, I can move you around for a bit until I decide where I'm gonna put you - often students are so preoccupied they forget to notice that the opponent has a hand free.

And while during tech training uke forgets this also for the sake of practising the technique, there's nothing to stop an advanced or more aware or experienced uke throwing a hook around with the free hand just to make the point [and obviously this *will* happen in randori]. I would do this often to show a student that either [as Jenna said] they have actually stopped and not realised, or their position in relation to the opponent is not correct and gives them too much visibility to the opponent or opportunity to be made a target. This is not a good idea for the aikidoka but constant movement and good ma ai are difficult concepts to acquire initially.

Respects!

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MartialIntent said:
Not so necessarily HS. Striking arts are very much cyclical in-strike-out but because Aikido techniques are often longer - if I've got the lock on you, I can move you around for a bit until I decide where I'm gonna put you - often students are so preoccupied they forget to notice that the opponent has a hand free.

And while during tech training uke forgets this also for the sake of practising the technique, there's nothing to stop an advanced or more aware or experienced uke throwing a hook around with the free hand just to make the point [and obviously this *will* happen in randori]. I would do this often to show a student that either [as Jenna said] they have actually stopped and not realised, or their position in relation to the opponent is not correct and gives them too much visibility to the opponent or opportunity to be made a target. This is not a good idea for the aikidoka but constant movement and good ma ai are difficult concepts to acquire initially.

Respects!

Again, If it is a REAL sucker punch, guess what? All of your holds, techniques, or whatever, do go out the window. You'll never get to apply them, most likely. (you can't do much knocked out or extremely dazed)

Think about it like this... No matter what you are doing, a lock, hold, or walking along. If you get hit, reversed, or an escape is pulled off, it happened without you wanting or expecting it too. That's what a "sucker" whatever is. When this occurs it has done so. Nothing you can do except to try to re-establish control of the situation. Therefore, what you were doing or attempting to do has become irrelevant, the situation has changed, you lost control, and need to regain it.

MartialIntent

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hand Sword said:
Again, If it is a REAL sucker punch, guess what? All of your holds, techniques, or whatever, do go out the window. You'll never get to apply them, most likely. (you can't do much knocked out or extremely dazed)

Think about it like this... No matter what you are doing, a lock, hold, or walking along. If you get hit, reversed, or an escape is pulled off, it happened without you wanting or expecting it too. That's what a "sucker" whatever is. When this occurs it has done so. Nothing you can do except to try to re-establish control of the situation. Therefore, what you were doing or attempting to do has become irrelevant, the situation has changed, you lost control, and need to regain it.
I'm not certain what you're saying here HS? The original poster is asking how to defend against a sucker punch in the middle of his tech. Are you saying a sucker punch cannot be defended against? A sucker punch is one thrown in surprise yes but that doesn't preclude the student being aware of the possibility of it coming. I dunno about you but I have only ever fought guys with TWO hands and no more than that, LOL :D.

All I am saying here to Devin is and anyone else reading is that often due to the complexity of Aikido technique, the student's attention is taken away from the dangers: opponent's hands, feet whatever because they are so preoccupied with trying to get the kote gaeshi on right for example as Devin has alluded to.

A sucker punch is only that if the practitioner is not aware of the possibility of it connecting with them. You can throw sucker punches at me all day but if I am positioning myself correctly, they will be wasted. Furthermore, I will try to keep you moving around me as quickly as I can - your concomitant disorientation shouldn't be underestimated. If you have seen Aikido done well [and I certainly wouldn't claim that of myself], but if you have seen good Aikido you will appreciate that uke often has no recourse but to do as they are bid. From my experience as both uke and nage and for real too, there is little thought of clever sucker punches when you're not permitted to even lift your head above your waist.

Respects!

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The point of a sucker punch is you are not aware of it--plain and simple. You can't position, or defend unless you're aware. If you were aware--it's not a sucker punch! You don't see them, you feel them.

In regards to techniques, of whatever fashion..there are counters to them, or factors that occur during a fight that allow for their failure. You might think you have a good lock or hold on them, then bam! As a point my friend was bouncing the other night, and is a longtime Aikidoka. He was "walking" someone out with a "secure" hold, and whack! Got hit on the side of the head. It happens, nothing you can do about it, just regain control.

Latest Discussions